17 inch rims on a 308 | FerrariChat

17 inch rims on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by duck.co.za, Feb 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How wide can you go ? Often when you install wider /bigger rim's you spoil the dynamic's ,especially on the front wheels .Taking rim offset into account how much further in can you go before the rim fowls the shock spring what ever ? Same question for the rear .Often installing wider rim's makes the car slower (more rolling resistance ) and causes the car to bogg in corners ( over tyred ).Are the 16 inch 7J and 8J the best ?I suppose HP has a bit to do with these quetsion so lets say 280 HP .

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    8 front, 9 rear is max IMO if the rims are made to the corrct offset. Anything larger and the front will rub and the rear will extend past the wheel well lip. i have two complete sets of 17 inch rims for sale that were custom made by Kinesis. See pics at http://enjoythetrack.com/ferrari/

3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I currently have 9 in front and 10 in rear I'm going install on the car this spring (17"). The front fit fine, and I think the rears might need a little bit wider of a spacer. The left rear seem like it might rub on the inner fender well.

Jim

4. fly308

fly308 Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I am looking for a set of stock lug bolts, condition of head not important.

5. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks for reminding me, odds are you are riding high (ride height) with stock suspension versus going with a better/modified version to lower your CG. So can understand how your front 9 should be ok BUT am curious how it is at full lock right/left as for rubbing of the fronts. Many thanks.

BTW, going wider is not better due to rolling resistance. Frankly, the stock are ok and perhaps another 0.5-inch would be better, with 8 front 9 rear really being max imo unless you have a supercharged 308... as the added power might be best employed with a wider rubber profile. Alas, my tracking/experience is with 8 front and 9 rear and have driven other cars with normal stance (7/8). MHO is that 8/9 is really max unless you have supercharger, as anything more adds rolling resistance PLUS adds to rotational mass. Both are BAD NEWS and makes your Ferrari slower.

(Not directed at you Jim) Of course i can understand if visuals are more important than performance or tracking ability for some Ferrari owners.

6. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Steve,

I don't think they'll rub at full lock in the fronts. There seems to be plenty of clearance. Right now the car is fitted with 9 in' wide wheels in front and back(16") and it seems to be fine. And yes the car is riding high. I guess I'll find out in the springtime.

Jim

Oh, how do you like your race car?

7. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    #7 Jbryant, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. RossoGTS

RossoGTS Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Berks UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi Jeff
    Deffo the best aftermarket rim set up for the 308/328 I've seen very GTO, F40 Are you running stock suspension set up, ride hight etc? no rubbing issues?

Regards
    Mark.

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Jim,

Wow, 9-inch front and back... interesting choice. As for the Formula 2000 race car, she is amazing and fun. A much-needed improvement, or shall i say evolution, over the 308. Am still learning of course, and everything from driving technique to mechanicals to... it has been a great evolution in my racing/driving hobby (?career?). Am glad i started with the 308, kinda the Miata of Ferraris, yet the F2000 is a wonderful evolution that one day may place me towards true racing in higher performance cars on a much higher playing field.

Still, the 308 is fondly remembered, as she was my 'first track love' and taught me many of the basics while being very kind and forgiving. The F2000 is less forgiving... and predict the next car will be more demanding as things continue forward.

10. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    No change to the car what so ever. I removed the stock 390mm rims and installed these. Not sure how much wider you can go. No rubbing issues or suspension issues. Car rides great and the handeling is much better

11. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    My gt4 has 8.5's front & rear with a larger spacer on ther rear. I have no mods other than an agressive alignment, I used same size tire all around although Ronal said I could go larger in th rear with no mods

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have purchased a set of OEM bolts.... IIRC they were $400, used.

Hill Engineering has them and not so much $$$$.......maybe Trutlands or GT Car parts would have a used set.

13. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James

Yeah, 9" front in back. It's what came on the car when I bought it, although they are staggard. I guess it was a dealer option back in the day for the Gold 16" BBS wheels.
    I've driven a Formula 2000 car (Half day Bertile Roos), and I thought it was a blast. What kind of maint. do you have to perform. Just fluid changes?

Jim

14. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I have a set of 17" Speedlines that I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. They are beautiful, the only problem being is that the "set" is 3 wheels as UPS lost one for me in shipping.

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ahh yes, have seen those and the 308 that was here had the stock metrics and mounted was the period correct Etoile 16-inch (7F/8R).

Maint is basically bolt checking (easy) and fluid change is VERY easy and about equal to the 308. Basically, everything is SUPER easy, cheap enough, and frankly is about 1/5th the upkeep cost of the 308 if we do not account for tires. Track offs can be mixed, yet <knocking wood> have been fortunate/lucky to have done minimal damage after 20+ race/track days with the F2000 in 2007. All in all am VERY HAPPY at the MUCH lower costs for the F2000 versus the 308 PLUS the sheer EASE to get to bits and change/maintain it all. Wish the 308 was this easy, as then she would have stayed here (maybe) instead of finding a new home elsewhere.

To quote another track guy, as he said to my wife at the track after i came in from a run, "When Steven gets out of the F2000 he smile/laughs like he just won the lottery." (nuff said :) )

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 miketuason, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is 19" wheel too big for the 3x8? The photo above doesn't seems to look too bad.