Cat ECU'S 355 | FerrariChat

Cat ECU'S 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Vegas-Guy, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Hey guys,

My 1/4 light came on again today, stayed on most of the day...:( I've already put in a new Cat, and replaced both O2 sensors. Now I want to switch the EC's to see if my 5/8 will come on instead of the 1/4. My question is do I need to do anything special for this, or can I just switch them and start it up.:confused: Thanks again for the help.

2. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    95? Motronic 2.7? I'm pretty sure you can pull the error codes on that ECU using the procedure that the 348 2.7 Motronics uses (No Doubt's page/Ernie's instructions). Might be more useful than swapping ECU's; if you switch them it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery and let it idle for 10-15 minutes to re-learn on start-up.

3. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    yep it's a 2.7

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Just change them from side to side.

Honestly, you can probably tell if it's broken just by taking a good hard look at the backing seal. If it's black, it's crap. If it has cracked away from the housing, it's almost certainly cooked.

5. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Mine is black and cracked...isn't that ok as long as water hasn't gotten into it yet? I'm hoping to just seal it up with silicone.

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Yes, it's probably ok. Use something that can withstand the heat... and just realize, it is probably going to fail eventually. Odds are, it'll be when the *next* owner has the car, so who cares, eh? (I'm just kidding of course. My car doesn't even have those damn things)

7. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    #7 Vegas-Guy, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just want to make sure were talking about the same ECU's. It's #69 on this picture?

I should be able to just switch them from side to side to see if the 5/8 light comes on instead of the 1/4?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Correct.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Why dont you just get some test pipes from Daniel and be done with the ECU's?

10. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I've been thinking about the hyper-flows...:D

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

12. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    #12 Vegas-Guy, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok so I took off the covers to change the ECU's for the cat's and found this. Could this be the reason for the 1/4 light to come on?

The first picture is the drivers side..:) the second the passenger side..:eek:

I also switched the ECU's just in case, what a pain in the a@@. It was easy just a pain..

P.S. Both of the ECU's looked ok for the most part. But they both had a very slight crack starting at the base of one of the inserts.

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Not getting much ram air that way, eh?!

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yikes,

Id put the mesh tube back and give it a try....

15. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I wish I could it's raining today...:( I hope I can take it out tommorrow

16. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I was able to take the car out today to see if the 1/4 light would come on again. I'm still not sure if the air intake in the picture above would make the light come on or not, never really got a answer from anyone.

I put 50 miles on it and NO light...:) I would have drove more but it's really windy (40mph) and didn't want to chance it. Just as I was pulling in the garage the light came on...:( but this time it was the 5/8. Since I was in the garage I grabbed the lazer temp gun and put it on the cats just to make sure they weren't to hot. Both were about 390-400 on the intake side...:)

Guess that means I need a new ECU...:(

17. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The Motronic 2.7 355's should have 4 dash lights that matter, yes?!
    SlowDown 1-4
    SlowDown 5-8
    Check Engine 1-4
    Check Engine 5-8

You are seeing which?

18. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    slow 1-4
    and today after switching the ECU's slow 5-8

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    OK!

Time for a new cat ecu, then.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Sounds like a new ECU is in order
    or some test pipes :)

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay

1) Check the resistance on your Mass Air Flow sensors. Make sure that they are at 383 ohms.

2) Don't be so quick to change the cat ecu's just yet. The thermocouples have been known to go bad. So you may want to try swapping those from side to side and see what happens.

3) You want to check the cat temp on the exit side of the cat. Because that is the side that the thermocouple is on, and where the exhaust will be hotter if indeed your cat/s are running hot. If you get are getting 390-400deg F reading with the infrared temp gun then it has to be a bad thermocouple, or cat ecu, or both. The slow down lights will flash if the cat temp gets to 1652 deg F (+/- 30*F), and if the cats get up to 1724 deg F (+/- 36*F) the light stays on steady. So if you are get a slow down light, and then you take a temp reading immediately off of the exit of the Cat of 400 deg F, then you know the cat ecu is getting/giving a false reading to the Motronic.

22. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    +1 on test pipes. Get rid of that junk....