GT4 on eBay | FerrariChat

GT4 on eBay

Discussion in '308/328' started by michael from MV, Feb 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Between the overspray and excessive "dealer required" tire/trim gloss crap, I'd say this is yet another pig with lip stick. The painted door switches are a nice touch, though I'm sure that this has "original paint"...Wink, wink!

Regards,
    David

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I don't begrudge the tire shine. The paint looks nice in the pictures (too bad about the overspray) but one needs to see it up close. The interior is nicely detailed. The hood on the passenger side seems a little off, but not by much.

The bidding is in the high 20's which is really top dollar. It is unfortunate there is nothing about the car mentiond like service history, overall mechanical shape, etc. If it needs belts, hoses, brakes, clutch, or *gasp* an engine rebuild is is definitely a "pig in lipstick". I agree that the impression one gets is that the lack of narrative is by design: they want to sell the car on its looks and don't want too many questions asked.

If I were in the GT4 market I'd check it out, but I would not pay upper 20's sight unseen. To much left unsaid.

Ken

3. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    - Front turn signal covers are from a gts/gtb
    - Ferrari Badge on front mounted too high
    - Front side markers are point up
    - Incorrect rear license plate frame
    - Wrong trunk carpet
    - What's up with the door stop? UGH

I do like the "artsy" last photo though.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Unfortunately it looks the body shop didn't pay very close attention when they painted this car, or whomeve was taking it apart didn't care when it went back together and masking was't great. The door handles inside face different directions, the side markers are backwards, the shift gate and center console don't mate right. I don't see anything that can't be fixed, but it is a shame to have such (apparently) nice paint detracted by such sloppy workmanship. The devil is in the details, and the person working on this car just doesn't get that. The good part is that all that stuff can be fixed with a screwdriver. Now how has that engine (with a rusty oil cap) been treated?

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Between that and the shot showing the "crusty" rear sway bar end link, I'm doing all I can to not offer $50K for this creampuff...Not!!

Shiny paint and apparanetly no attention paid to the details makes me wonder further just what's really underneath all that "jizz"...

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thought I was the only one who noticed and everyone else had been distracted by shiny paint.

Look a little closed Ken. Thats the starting price, not what the bidding is.

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    It's your typical ebay 308, but it's not that bad. A little DIY cleaning/tidying-up would make it into a very nice driver. Upholstery is very good (no tears/cracks in the seats. Even if this has been re-trimmed, they did a good job as it's nice and tight). Engine is missing the emissions equip. so that's not so good, but okay for those states that don't require testing and at least the rest of it hasn't been messed around with. I know of at least another GT4 that is using the later GTB/S front turn signals in place of the originals. The front marker lights are indeed, mounted upside down... They're held on with two screws! 5 min. job at most to correct.

We've all seen alot worse. This is an okay car...

...Just not at that high price.

8. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    MY GOD MAN, use something other than ArmourAll, would ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bumpers and wheels look like crap with all that dressing!

JIM

10. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Just kidding, of course...but it looks like they ran the entire car under the donut glazing machine at Krispy Kreme's... replaced the frosting with Armor-All.

11. ScottB

ScottB Rookie

Aug 30, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Buralli
  12. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Dave's the expert, but I don't think any of them did. It's probably after-market.

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Especially since it appears to still be working!

14. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Probably an option on the early cars?

Cheers!

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ya, the original paint is under all those resprays somewhere. it looks really thick and rounded...like a cartoon version of what it is supposed to look like.
    i'd bet my ass this car would swallow up $20K in no time flat. i've just finished stripping and walnut blasting a GT4 down to metal and lead and it is incredible how sharp the lines and creases are without 2 thick layers of primer and 'few' layers of paint. it's a different car.
    Ken, i respectively beg to differ about "top dollar". high 20's is nowhere near top dollar for either a restored or a mint original. if this car had a recent major, solid compression, recently rebuilt heads, tranny, suspension and brakes it would be worth the Buy-it-now price IMO. thats with the paint and interior AS IS. but i doubt very much that is does and that doesn't even begin to address carbs and ignition, electronics, exhaust, waterpump, steering rack, etc.

anyone interested in a restored GT4 (Ferrari badged March 1975) please feel free to PM me. Car is bare metal as we speak... exterior colour of CHOICE
    but must be within factory options. black interior. zero rust ANYWHERE. ALL mechcanical systems new/rebuilt/addressed. no exceptions. DOCUMENTED.
    oh ya, will not be high $20's.

brett

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mr. Driver, if on the off chance you are thinking of me when you say "Dave" may I respond as follows.......

BAWAHAHAHAHA :D
    expert? Oh man thats too funny You HAVE to stop doing drugs David they are rotting your brain.

That being said, It does look like a factory sunroof

17. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    One of the beautiful things about many exotic cars -- especially those from the 70s -- is the functional styling below the bumpers, front and rear. I would never present a car that hasn't been detailed in the front and rear valance areas.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i agree, and it goes a long way toward telling the real story of this car. if the easy to address stuff looks like that then i can only imagine what the tough stuff looks like...and it's probably still worth the opening bid price.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm no expert; I've seen these sell in the mid/high 20's for super nice examples. You imply top condition GT4's sell in the 30's? That's Mondial 3.2 coupe range. If this is true I'm pretty surprised; it would have to be to a guy who specifically wants a GT4 really badly, and doesn't want to work on it.

Ken

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do a search Ken and you'll see 4 or 5 GT4's have sold for well into the mid 30's in just the past 4 months.

21. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Don't be surprised Ken...

Vintage looks becoming more and more appreciated, limited production quantities, go kart handling/performance, and lesser (relative) maintenance costs. Mondi 3.2 territory. Yep.

Mid/high 20's cars inevitably end up in the 30's with a bit of sorting or a major. Examples that are well sorted are already there, and the really nice ones are in the high 30's.