Bernie threatens British GP again | FerrariChat

Bernie threatens British GP again

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dubai Vol, Feb 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    From Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65000

Seems Bernie just won't accept that the British government is not going to pay him for the right to a GP. The money he wants just plain isn't there. Frankly, I'm wondering if axing Silverstone would cause a significant backlash among fans. It would just about be enough for me to stop watching, and I'm not even English.

So, which GP would Bernie have to kill to make YOU stop watching?

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It short of blackmail what Bernie is up to but alot of good business is anyway. I can see his point. His arguments are getting tired as he keeps beating the place up, yet its an amazing track with great races. I would hate to see this venue replaced as it flies in the face of the F1 industry as its mostly based in the UK.
    I wouldnt stop watching but I would be disappointed if this is allowed to happen. The government should step in if needed as they have readily for the Olympics. Bernie needs to allow the redevelopment plan take shape before threatening them again though. A GP in Britain is a must I feel. Its just not right without it.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    What a mess. Burnee Hecklestone has way too much power. Because there are so many 3rd world countries that will pay big bucks to get a F1 race, Burnee can hold the old tracks hostage to extract money and get sometimes ridiculous consessions. The US GP was just the tip of the iceberg.

Things may not alway be this way and F1 may wish they had the old venues back. Very short sighted on Burnee's part IMVHO. Looks to me like he is just maximizing his own pocketbook and laughing all the way to the bank. Very sad.

4. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    This will never happen. No British government would ever risk the anger of it's voters by giving taxpayers money to a sport as rich as F1.
    Also, a few years ago Bernie 'donated' a million pounds to Tany Blair's party. The government then delayed the tobacco advertising ban. When Bernie's donation became public there was quite a stir. Tony gave the money back to Bernie and assured the voters that the cash had nothing to do with the government decision on tobacco adverts. Of course Bernie was very happy - he'd effectively bought a piece of legislation for nothing! Since then government ministers have steered clear of F1.

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i read an article where the sale of f1 entailed a lot of debt and the need for debt service is ratcheting up the money pressure.

6. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    None. Accept the fact that F1 races will go to the highest bidder and therefore the schedule fluctuates every year.

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Olympics in London already have a black hole, bosses are paying temporary staff up to £1,200 a day. :rolleyes:

With the cost of the 2012 London Games spiralling to £9.3 billion, the Olympic Delivery Authority lavished £7,707,000 on only 65 agency workers - the equivalent of around £118,500 each

Bernie knows that..Lottery funds will know doubt help fill the hole.

Silverstone needs money spent on it, to what degree I don't know.

It does appears the Bernie's pockets are never quite full, but he has been banging on every year about it.

It would be a BIG mistake to actually pull it though we shall see. As a die hard fan it would not stop me watching or going , petrol engines going may do that.