2008 430 default F1 auto/manual | FerrariChat

2008 430 default F1 auto/manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by AndrewCrane, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    Hi - is there a trick to change the default configuration of my gearbox to manual instead of auto when it is first started up please?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. RSM

RSM Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ranjit Sundaramurthy
    Yes... I would like to know as well?..... :)

3. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    HUH? The only way it should be in auto when you start it is if you have the manetino set to snow/ice or norm driving. Otherwise, it is always Manual..... confused at question. the car is a MANUAL car if it is F1, 'auto' is a fake auto and a 'choice you need to choose by pushing auto button or setting manetino switch to '*****' driving. So it always starts in 'manual mode'

4. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    They changed the default setting on startup back in 2006 and it now starts up in auto mode.

It did occur to me that by pulling the left paddle for three seconds sets the box in some undocumented mode. This might well provide a method of changing the setting -- I'll play with it later. My other thought is that there might be an adaptation setting for the transmission ECU available via the CAN-BUS/OBD2. I don't have any compatible software at the moment -- does anyone have the SD3 who can have a poke around?

Regards
    Andrew

5. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    ok, sry to hear of your troubles but my 05 wasnt like this and my 07 isnt either. Mine is an F1 Manual car and starts in manual and ends in manual, well because it IS a manual.

6. Nielsq

Nielsq Karting

Dec 23, 2006
    NY Metro Area
    Full Name:
    Nielsq
    My '07 F1 always starts in manual. Never used auto. Maybe if car is turned off in auto, it starts in auto, like my '05 Maserati Spyder.

7. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My 2007 F430 always starts in manual, and has to be forced into 'auto' (which I tried for about 10 seconds *once*).

My suspicion is that this is a Euro (or just UK) spec requirement. (I know that 'auto' is required for certain sound-level regulations.) Maybe the default can be overridden by a setting changed with the SD3 -- your dealer should be able to help.

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    My US '07 430 F1 always starts in manual mode as well.
    Frank

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ditto

10. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My 06 is an F-1, when started, I must shift unless I want to go all the way to (near) rev limiter then it shifts. What am I missing here? How can it start in automatic if yoiu do not push button or change setting? Best

11. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    My beauty is 2007 dec production and always starts in auto mode. No matter in which setting I turn off ignition. What is that mysterious left paddle setting???

12. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    Well I just want mine to be like yours. Perhaps I'll send it back to Ferrari as a fault.

Regards
    Andrew

13. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Mine behaves exactly the same.

14. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    My 599 is having this issue as well -- though my F430 Coupe does not - time to call the dealer, I suppose

15. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    My 07 430 always starts in manual mode. I've never even driven it in auto. What's that? ;-)

16. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Maybe the "auto" button is stuck so that each time you start the car it engagues the auto mode. The parking light is the same kind of button and it gets stuck pushed in on my 430

17. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    No unfortunately. It switches to auto mode as soon as the engine is turned off.

Regards
    Andrew

18. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Buy a 2005 or 2007 then. :D Get an odd year to get rid of your odd problem. :D

19. RSM

RSM Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ranjit Sundaramurthy
    My car starts in Auto mode every time??... 2007 Aug production. Guess this is a requirement in certain markets.

20. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    My dealer said it was done for the American market. Well having read the responses to my initial post, this is clearly BS. I think on the balance of probabilities, the best explanation in this thread is noise regulations. If it changes early, it will be quieter. So RSM -- are you from Europe?

My dealer also said there was no way to change the default. Again, I say BS. It's clearly an ECU parameter and so can be changed. The question is, how? There's no way it will be a ROM-out job or a different part number for the ECU -- that's just too complicated. The only three other options are DIP switches or jumpers on the ECU (unlikely), a secret button pushing combination (most likely as this way it can be changed trivially by the dealer) or an ECU coding change (again very likely).

Regards
    Andrew

21. RSM

RSM Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ranjit Sundaramurthy
    I live in India....Bangalore - My car was bought from the Singapore/ K.L. market allocation.

22. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    All the cars have this function. To dissable the auto startup. Start vehicle it should be in Nuetral and by your description the auto lamp should also be illuminated. Push the Auto button in the console the auto lamp should now be out. Turn the vehicle off and wait until the gear indication turns off. Restart the vehicle it should now be in manual mode. I verified this with a 2007 and 2008 model. If it does not there is a malfuntion. This same procedure works for the 599 and the 2008 612 with the exception that the 599 and 612 enter what is called easy auto which has a down arrow next to it indicating that any input from a up or down paddle will result in manual operation. If the car is then put into automatic mode via the center console button and then turned off when you next time you start the vehicle it will display an automatic without the down arrow indicating full auto. PM me if you still have questions.

23. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    This is what my 430 does. I have had it in this mode without realising the significance of the down arrow. Following your instructions, this is how it now starts and I have to say I think I prefer this to straight manual. It gives you the choice of pulling off in town in auto and then as soon as you feel the thing isn't responding how you want it to, you're back in the familar territory of manual.

Thanks Windsock, you have made me smile and ended my obsessional google searching. Now why did my dealer not know this (or choose to tell me) and why isn't it documented in the manual? Any more tricks up your sleeve?

Regards
    Andrew

24. luicci

luicci Rookie

Jul 12, 2008
    Every time I start my f430 the f1 transmission will be in AUTO mode, is this normal?
    BTW I'm starting it the right way, wait when the key is in the ignition before starting it and waiting for it to idle.
    Thanks

25. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    See post #22 in this thread. Welcome to Fchat! You will find many of the topics have been discussed and a quick answer is usually just a "search" button away. Hope this helps.

Robert