very interesting color combo?? | FerrariChat

very interesting color combo??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by koisokok, Feb 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #1 koisokok, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The car seems to be AWESOME! I emailed the dealer selling it about 3 weeks ago... It is listed at $45k and he said they might take $40k for it. I told him if it was perfect and needed nothing at all he would be lucky to get $30k for it... He was not interested in selling it for that and I can't even confirm that it does in fact need NOTHING (I can't imagine that since it only has 10k miles on it...bound to need hoses at the very least...)

Not a huge fan of the brown...they should have chosen black for the dash stuff...

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    This seller has advertised this car periodically going back to at least December 2003. In all that time, he has put 300 miles on it. Makes you wonder why he bothered buying it in the first place.

John

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    if the car is that clean and needs nothing i dont see why he shoundt be able to get 35k..these days what the hell can you get for that?? a honda??

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Because it's a red automatic with a brown dash..that's why he won't get $35k. $30k if the planets align...more realistically $25k.

6. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I concur with BJ on this one! The market will just not support this car at $35k. Which is why I made a loose offer at $30k (ie. "I wouldn't pay more than $30k"...if he had said, ok to that I probably would have been looking for financing...) I think the $25k it is sitting at right now is pretty close to topped out unless there are just two folks that HAVE TO HAVE that ugly dash and a red 400. I do have to have a red 400 but prefer NOT with a brown dash. Who knows if the car is 100% or not??? Has anyone here looked at it to confirm if it really is as nice as they say and the pics seem to show???

Oh, another ??? about that car, what is up with the dark red line down the side??? Shouldn't that be a rubber bump strip in black???

James

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The dark red line should be the same color as the rest of the car and is simply a crease running down the side - no rubber.

The brown/tan interior would look fabulous with black or dark blue paint, not so great with the red.

Aidan

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As John said this car has been for sale for quite some time and has been sitting for a while.

Take note of a couple of things....
    Those wheels are so ugly someone should shoot them and put them out of thier misery.
    Why does a car with 10k original miles need a repaint as this car has had? Dark red stripes? Yikes!
    He's owned it for 5 years and still hasn't tranfered the title from the previous owner? It has a Nebraska title.
    If people will pay $400 for those mats I'm going into the mat business.
    It is very rare to find a complete tool and first aid kit.
    I agree it isn't drawing closer inspection because lots of people are put off by the red color and the brown dash.

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    PLEASE remember that NONE of these 400's needs "Nothing"..over..

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Fchat understatement of the year!"

11. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I am turned off by the after market wheels to start with.....

12. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Jacques, of course you are right... I would just LOVE to find/buy one that needed NOTHING! I don't think my 928 purchases have never needed nothing either. I guess what I am looking for is a car that I can buy and then drive w/o having to spend more than say $1500 just to get it so I CAN drive it w/o having to worry about it. Not sure if that is even realistic, I think most of you guys have cars you trust enough to take a 3-4 hour trip...I want a car like that which is also in good cosmetic condition.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If that is what you have to have then be prepared to give well into the high 30's to low 40's. Every one of us has bought our cars and then put anywhere from 1 to 10k into them in the first few months to get them caught up on deferred maintenance.

14. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, Dave, are you saying that you do not believe there is a good 400 driver (maybe not daily driver, but good enough for a 3-4 hour trip and many little trips between...say 5000 miles a year) for less than $35k+? I mean we are seeing a BUNCH of 400's in the low $20k's and even a few in the high teens. Some of the low $20k cars look to be pretty good too...I know you can't actually tell much of anything from the looks, but you really think that a car that is a being sold by the owner as a nice driver for $22k STILL is going to need $13k of work??? You may well be right, you know these cars WAY better than I probably ever will! I guess that is not completely out of the question...if the car did not need a pretty good cash infusion I suspect the owners would just keep them and drive them a bit more... Though I guess some folks might be ready to move up to something different and they don't have the garage space to keep everything not to mention $25k might make a good dent in a move up car...

Thanks for humoring me guys!
    James

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    James,

There are good cars out there that you can buy well. Kraig's (the red one I mentioned previously) could handle the kind of driving you describe but if I recall if did have a to-do list posted in the ebay listing. Many of the cars will be fine to drive but will have minor annoying issues that you will need to address.

Regards,

Art S.

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep thats exactly what I'm saying.
    Except for Aaron's or Kraig's car I haven't seen a car good enough to be a daily driver for sale for low 20's. I've seen a lot for sale for the low 20's but they all needed $5k to $10k worth of work.
    James you should know deferred maintenance is very common on these cars because of the costs involved. Others who don't own a 400i will argue another viewpoint, but those who actually own these cars will tell you to remember that a front end job is $2k+, exhaust is $3-$6k, valve adjustment costs can cause your sphincter to pucker right up, self leveling rebuild will cross the $3k mark without trouble, and let us not forget that just 1 set of tires on a series 2 car will run $1,676 plus shipping, plus tax, plus mount and balance.

A 400i reliable enough to be a daily driver for, as you say above, the low 20's or high teens? No way, nope, nada, not going to happen.

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Those are all true, but you know what? After just completing what I thought was going to be a modest bathroom remodel that cost as much as a median quality 400i, none of those maintenance costs strike me as extreme any more!!! I know that I would feel that I received much more value out of a new set of tires, for instance, than having a more comfortable place to read Forza magazine in the morning!

As for "This car needs nothing", that is the Ferrari world's greatest lie, right up there with "Of course I'll respect you in the morning!".

John

18. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    there is that saying....."you get what you pay for"!!

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LMAO :D funny John
    I know what you mean we just had the backyard totally redone, sod, french drains, plants, cost a ton, I said to the tall blonde lady "There goes the new paint on the Dino."

20. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dave,

Just choosing your post for a quote, but you guys are KILLING ME! SOOO FREAKING FUNNY some of the posts on this topic.

Dave, I totally agree, remember I own 928's! Same problem. Maintenance differal can kill you. That said, I find very few things that can't go a little longer if you don't mind the annoyance. In fact (other than timing belt issues) there are few things on a 928 that you can't push WAY out...they just don't impact other systems, so you don't HAVE to do them. Just wondering if that is what you find w/ the 400's too? Does not seem to be the case. On the exhaust stuff, can't you get a custom fab job that will look and sound good for WAY less than $3k? I can't imagine that you couldn't. If fact I think I saw a post where someone did that. Are there any 400's that DIDN'T have the self leveling system? Sounds like more trouble than it might be worth for someone like me who just wants a car to put maybe 3k miles on a year... Front end job...I get that one, we never have to do those on 928's though. Tires I get that too...damn metric POS wheels. Did the early cars have "normal" wheels.

Thanks guys!
    James

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You have to have a sense of humor to own one of these otherwise you'll grab the nearest 12 guage and call it a day.

Yep, most of us have converted to stainless exhaust.

Series 1 cars had 15" wheels and no self leveling rear suspension. They were much simpler cars and had less electrical gremlins. There just aren't very many series 1 cars in the US.
    The need for front end jobs on a 400 is because of how much these cars weigh. They eat front end parts, tie rods, ball joints, etc. If the parts are new and set up right you can drive a 400 with 1 finger at +135mph and it won't wobble or drift even a little.

22. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How will I know the Series I cars from the II's? I recall reading something about the black back end on the I's is that and the wheels the only way to tell??? I guess the 400 does out weigh a 928, but I can't imagine by a whole lot. The S4's and GTS's were nearly 3700# w/ auto trans... Not to mention my fat butt! That just sends them right over the top there! LOL!

Got an email from the place w/ the yellow 400, he said they listed the car this past Thursday and have actually already had quite a bit of interest... Hype or real??? Who knows... He was going to request some hi res pics for me.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Wood center console vs leather covered
    Cable levers next to driver's seat on the floor vs push buttons on the console

Those are 2 really quick ways to tell. The grilles are different along with quite a few other smaller things but those 2 will help you figure it out really fast.

24. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Excellent. I knew I had seen levers next to the drivers seats on some of the cars but not all of them, and I know I have seen both wood and leather but I didn't know if one or the other was just an option for any given year.

What do the levers do? hood and truck release? Fuel filler release?

Thanks mucho! I am still a young padawan learner with this F-car stuff! Someday I hope to be a Jedi Knight!
    James

25. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Trunk release and fuel filler are on the sill to the left of the driver's seat. The central levers control aircon, ventilation, plus there are knobs and switches for windows, mirrors, sunroof, etc. Hood release is under the dash on the left.

Aidan