How Long Do You Warm Your Car Up For? | FerrariChat

How Long Do You Warm Your Car Up For?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How Long Do You Warm Your Car Up For

1. Warm up?? We don’t need no stinkin’ warm-up!!

2. Less than a minute, just to make sure everything’s ok

3. Anywhere from 3 – 5 minutes, till the rpm recedes, and the oil/temp gauges start needling up

4. A good 5 – 7 minutes, until the car is fully warmed, and the oil/temp are right where they should

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Curious to know. F-Cars only please. Thanks.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't sit and idle for much more than a minute before I get rolling. However, I don't get on it till I "feel" that the car has loosened up, if that makes any sense.

DrTax

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Perfect sense.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I also get rolling within a minute or two after I have pulled out of the garage and fastened my belts. However I keep the revs between 2 and 3 K until water temp. is halfway to normal, then ease up to 4K. Nothing higher until both water and oil temps are close to normal (90C). In the wintertime and on the highway the oil temp sometimes drops back down to the 70C area.

John

5. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Is there anything bad about sitting for too long before first moving? I mean above two minutes or so.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm with Dale: keep it below 3k rpm until the oil temp is past the 1/4 mark (about 1/3 is right), and don't touch 5k+ until it's at ~190. Water temp is high enough by then.

--Dan

7. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill

if you let it sit and idle for a long time, its said that the burt carbon from the combustion builds up more easily inside the engine. this is the only bad thing that ive heard about letting a car sit and idle....dont know how true/significant this is though.

in my opinion the best way to warm up a car is to drive it about 1-2 minutes after its started. like everyone else has said, keeping the revs low at first then gradually increasing them until everything is at operating temp.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've assumed you mean start and wait until moving, so I voted no warm up. Naturally, I don't rev the engine hard, change gears quickly or use heavy acceleration until oil and water temps have risen.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Me: Idle for two minutes and take it easy until the temp starts to come up.

My Girlfriend: Turn the key and go like a bat out'a hell....GOD this pisses me off! I'm the one that will have to take care of her repair bills!

10. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    I let the car idle for a good 5 minutes for me....depends on the car lol....my A to B car I usually just let it idle for about 1-2 minutes then i just take off

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    2 or 3 minutes, drive very slowly for about 5 or 6 miles until all fluids are in operating temp zone, upshift 1 to 3 during this time and use low revs, of course I can only STAND to look at her and HEAR her in the garage idling for this amount of time before that spirit inside forced me to jump in, strap in and drive off!!

12. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    same as above, 3-5 minutes.

13. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    5 minutes and sometimes longer to get the fluids and car warm. However, I usually don't just let it sit and idle. I try to vary RPM after a couple of minutes. Typically wait until oil/water temp are 170+ before 5K RPMs+.

14. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I let the engine warm up. Once the revs die back down, the I usually drive like my hair is fire. I have found though on my car if I do let the car warm up before backing it out of the garage, I do not have the shifting into second gear problem alot of other F-cars have.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'll let it idle for about 5 minutes, then I roll off slowly. I don't go past 3k rpm and 1/5 throttle or so (just an estimate) until the oil temp needle is settled at the middle of the gauges. Then I gradually ramp up the revs and the throttle.

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My Lotus may be different than a fuel injected Ferrari, but I let it idle about 1-2 minutes then drive, BUT I keep the rpms in the lower range without lugging the engine, and don't drive her hard until the temp gauge is at 88C, which is normal. In cold weather the choke is on 1/4 for the first 3-4 minutes. Full temp. takes 10 minutes or so depending on the weather. I think it's fine to drive a car cold if you take it easy, in fact lots of people say extended idling is bad, especially for the spark plugs. In extreme cold, a 3 min warmup is fine.

Ken

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I turn on the engine then I do my stuff & strap my harness on then I drive but I keep the revs under 4500 till the oil temp comes off the peg

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I just start it first before I fiddle about getting ready to go. Then just go - warm up on the move means the gearbox gets warmed up as well. Better to warm up on the move than stationary.

Interesting my last Porsche owners book specifically says don't idle it, just get in and warm up on the go.

360 Manual says "Do not run the engine at speed rates over 4000 rev./Minute until the oil temperature has reached 150-160F (65-70C), approximately".

19. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I follow owner's manual adbvice: idle until the little yellow light goes off. About 5 min in colder weather. I use synthetic (Redline 10/40; 75/90NS) oil for increased oil flow at startup.

20. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I would have liked to post:

"Send 'James' down to the garage to dust the car and start it up. Five minutes later, he hands me my coffee and opens the car door for me. As I pull down the driveway, he starts washing the Jag".

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Uhh, another impossible poll... guys, don't leave gaps in your poll choices.

I let it warm up until the emission nonsense phases out and the idle goes to its normal spot. And oil pressure should be up. But I do NOT wait until the oil temp needle is rising. The time is between 1 minute and 3 minutes.

After that, I drive very gently until the oil temperature gets up a bit... and don't go hard until oil temperature is up to normal.

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ta Ta

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm with brian: somewhere between 1 and 3 minutes before moving off, and then drive at as low a throttle setting as will carry my hill to the main road (3000 RPMs in second works well). By the time I get to the main road, the oil nedle has moved (unless its freezing or below--seldom in texas). But I still wait until the oil temp is in the 150 dF range before using more than half throttle or more than 5000 RPMs.

In my garage situation, after backing the car out, I have to get out and close the garage manually, so this basically insures more than 1 minute of warmup, but then I get back in, back up my driveway, and onto the first of several feeder roads we call a neighborhood.

At the race track with some temperature in the engine from the previous run, I still let the engine idle for 30 seconds before backing out of the garage and slowly moving through the staging areas. I don't use full throttle until after the first (warm up) lap is done. Then watch out, I'm a cumun for ya.

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Problem: no cup holders.

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    As you can appreciate, the point of the poll was to have a little fun with it, and get a general sense of what owners do. I could have added another five choices showing different permuations of the warm-up schedule but that would have defeated the original purpose, as well as made it overly complicated -- and still probably wouldn't have captured all the variances in the start-up routines. As you have undoubtedly noted with other responses, people's warm-up routines do vary slightly, but most people can fit themselves into one of the four categories noted above. I'm sure you did the same -- based on the description of your warm-up routine, I'm guessing category 3.