Does your 348 Spider need Protection? | FerrariChat

Does your 348 Spider need Protection?

Discussion in '348/355' started by VTChris, Feb 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #1 VTChris, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our good friend Hank sound has released his spider top for the 348 and 355!

This is great for protecting the interior from stickiness and leather shrinkage of the seats etc...

Why didn't I think of this! D A M N IT!!!!

Here's a Pic of the Spider Top on DarkAngel's car!!!

Doesn't this make you want to buy a spider or what??? (If you don't already have one of course :) )

Available exclusively at Ricambi

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=100003&products_id=284211

Great product Hank!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I don't really understand the purpose of this cover... if you park the car facing the sun (with the convertible top up, if we are talking about convertibles) and you use a good windshield sun shield (like the custom ones available at www.bestcarcovers.com), the interior will be entirely shaded.

What is the need for that elaborate (and dare I say aesthetically unpleasant) cockpit cover when the top combined with a simple windshield sun shield can do the same job?

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It needs cutouts front/rear -- how are you supposed to see other traffic?

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Saves you from having to put the top up and down. Tonneaus are supposed to save wear on the top and also to be more convenient.

5. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

What don't you understand? This is for a Spider model, designed to be used with the top DOWN!

It protects the interior of the car.....

If you have ever put the top up on a 348 or 355 spider, you will know that it takes quite some time and effort to complete.
    The Spider Top takes all of 43.6 Seconds! :D :D

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Spider Top was invented to protect your Ferrari Spiders interior really QUICKLY! :):)

Sure, you can put your top up, but Spider Top is a lot quicker to fit than the Ferrari top. :):)

This is great when you need to go to the shops or want to cover the car up for a short period as Spider Top takes less than a minute to fit and your car is protected from the sun, rain, prying eyes, ect.....ect... :):)

I think we should try and be positive about this and support Hank as much as possible as it is a great product that Spider owners have long yearned for. :):)

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Chris and Jon, thanks for the information; I understand now.

I didn't know that the top is that delicate and that it takes so long to switch.

8. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I personally love it and not just because its on my car in the pictures. :)
    Yesterday me and the wife took the car for a nice coastal drive and stopped in at the Pacific Cove beach restaurant and threw the Spider Top on in less than 30 seconds and went in to eat, no fussing with putting my top back up and the interior was protected from the sun with ease.
    After we finished eating we took it off real quick jumped in the car and was back on the road convertible style enjoying more of the day and the road.
    Its a great product!
    Jeff

9. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now if there was just one for the TS!! Removing, stowing and replacing the roof panel is a bigger pain than the spider top!
    Plus having this in the trunk would eliminate dragging the top panel around with me behind the seats all the time!

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Nothing like running into a store and coming out to find birdcrap on the seat----change the name to Birdcrap Eliminator!!! Looks great!!

11. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    NICE!!!

Or Spit Eliminator.

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Fear not Steve, for SPIDER TOP/GTS, Dino to 355 is currently in the works. - and each top is custom made for the specific model. Just a few more weeks to "get the bugs out/off" :)

Cheers, Hank

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Hank Sound rules!!!! :)

14. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    PLEASE giterdun before summer! and put me on the ''beta test'' list!! ;)

15. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Might want to try here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137095767#post137095767

It was originally for the 3X8's but it just might work with a 348/355GTS model.

16. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    For all of you vanity users, the top can be pulled underneath the wipers better than I did in those photos to get a nice taught look if you so desire, but I was hungry and wanted to get in the restaurant to eat and the taught look seemed less important to my hunger at the time...
    Myself and Hank will be at VCR this Sunday the 17th @9am to put on the top for some nice and taught pictures so if you want to check it out in person look us up.
    Jeff :)

17. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    YOU SELFISH BASTARD...........;)

18. AronAZ

AronAZ Karting

Jul 13, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I have one of the these (not Hank's) for my BMW convertible and it works awesome - highly recommend. I was working on modifying one for the 355, but struggling with the rear attach points (the BMW has tabs that close in the trunk lid). How does this attach at the back?

Also, the BMW unit is off-white so it reflects the sun and breathable so the interior is litterally cool in mid-summer sun. I'm VERY concerned about the black material absorbing heat. Any insight?

Thanks!

19. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Great question

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Good question.

The fit is extremely loose, and lots of air circulates from beneath the doors and through the back. Although we haven't measured temperatures (hell, it's 35 and rainy in North Carolina today!), Hank tells me the nylon is very breathable and it's not a concern, even on the sunniest of California days. If you see one installed on a car, you'll see how it just loosely billows in a breeze (but rest assured, it doesn't become an America's Cup sailboat!)

I used to have a white Tyvek cover for a different car. Indeed, it was very reflective and kept the heat out. Only problem was that it got filthy dirty looking quite quickly, and the car became a bit of a 'big white egg' sitting in a parking lot because it was so darn reflective.