?? Recommended technique/tool to pull 308 steering hub? | FerrariChat

?? Recommended technique/tool to pull 308 steering hub?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm needing to pull my 77 308 GTB's steering hub in order to repair the horn contact ring. (Horn only blows when wheel is turned to either side..)

I've got the ring nut off, now I need to pull the hub off. I have a 3-jaw puller, but it will probably deform the thin metal hub if I crank too hard. I can pad the jaws with some sort of protection, but I think it still may deform the hub as I apply strong force.

I tried replacing the steering wheel, and pulling hard on it, but the hub ain't budging! I also tapped around the hub/wheel with a rubber mallet; no luck.

Is there a certain tool I can use to avoid damaging anything?

Thanks,
    Greg in Houston

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Sit in car,,, wiggle and pull.
    I've never needed a puller.

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a column section I bought off eBay from an 80 308. I have yet to seperate the hub. I would have mangled a wheel pulling on it, that didnt work. I havnt found a puller yet that will grab behind it without doing damage, and carefully tapping on the threaded end hasnt worked either. I believe the last resort would be to attach a gear pulling plate to the hub using the six wheel attaching screw threads, and press against the shaft and hope it pulls off.

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Most Ferraris of this era have the same steering wheel set up..I've removed mine several times by simply placing a short piece of 2x4 behind the wheel and tapping it firmly with a rubber mallet four or five taps always does it for me..also is the perect time to clean the area thouroghly...And watch for the little 1 inch long locking key to fall out to the footwell..you've probably got this done before you see this posting..good luck..Jacques

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks guys. Jacques, I like your idea. I was tapping the wheel directly with my rubber mallet. I think putting a small block of wood between mallet and wheel will let me give it a better "whack"!

I wonder how a Ferrari service center does this? Special tool perhaps?

Much appreciated--I'll report back!

Greg

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Greg, this is not a new topic.
    Advanced search the body of posts, I & others have posted how to pull the steering wheel several times in both the old & current fchat tech Q&A.

Usually this works: Put a brass drift on the end of the steering column & give it a sharp rap with a steel hammer. 90% of the time the hub will pop loose from the column.

If not, go to NAPA or AutoZone & get a steering wheel puller, they go for around $20. Remove your steering wheel from the hub. Most 3x8s have a pair of large holes on opposite sides of the hub concealed behind the wheel. They're for using a puller. The threads are 8mm metric. Usually the pullers come with both metric & SAE thread bolts, but if necessary buy the correct bolts. If your wheel doesn't have the holes for the puller, then get a long pair of bolts that fit the steering wheel holes & use washers to adapt them to the puller.

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Special tool at the dealer...Oh, you bet... most dealers are set up for just such a task..they keep a 4ft illegal alien in that large drawer in the bottom of their wheeled tool chest and only bring him out for that "special" job..he grabs the steering wheel with both hands and puts both feet on your leather dash..and 'GRUNTS" IT OFF..thereby giving you and added feature of two very attractive custom indents on your dash..."factory required modications"... for an additional $1200.00USD..Jacques

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    Great advice, thanks. Seriously, sorry I committed the all-too-common sin of not searching before posting a new thread... Hate to clutter up this place..

Jacques,
    Funny as hell!

GReg

9. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I just did mine using the method Verell explains above. No larger holes on my Euro308, so I used long metric bolts into the steering wheel attchment holes (you will have to use a couple of hard fender washers under each small bolt head, as thier too small to work effectivley with the large gap in the puller spider). Mine popped of with bang, with medium crank down on the puller center shaft.

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Lou,
    Thanks, I'm on my way tonight to buy a steering hub puller..and some long metric bolts and appropriate washers too

You guys are golden!

Greg

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just remember that steering wheel is no longer available...

When my horns quit, I shoot the finger, throw an empty beer bottle on their hood, and brandish my .357!

Ultimate respect in the evening commute, brudda! :D :D :D

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    LOL BT!!

Remember, I have an aftermarket MOMO Champion steering wheel. Really nice, leather and alcantara.. Feels great..
    When I bought the car in 2005 it had a wooden MOMO wheel that was cracked..

Greg

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I just used simple a 3-jaw puller (the largest in the $20 three puller set from Harbor Freight) and it came off without marring the metal hub at all.

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I got one from Sear for about the same price.

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I've never needed a puller, either. Just keep tapping gently.... it'll go...:)

BTW, when you re-assemble, smear a SMALL amount of anti-seize on the splines for the next time :)

16. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    #16 F308fan, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    For what it’s worth, the treaded holes in the steering wheel hub of my ‘81 308 are M7 x 1.0

17. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    *threaded holes

18. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST: I should have known better than to second-guess the people here who know what they’re talking about and I apologize for that. I found out the hard way that while an M7x1.0 bolt will fit in the hub, they’re too loose to actually use with a puller to remove the hub. M8x1.0 is what is needed.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le