TR Dreamin..... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

TR Dreamin.....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Feb 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtbastian

gtbastian Rookie

Jan 6, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    Tom Bastian
    The solid parts are the same parts that are solid on the stock bonnet, so there are no differences regarding cooling. The 'frame' is CF and looks to be well made. The third brake light is wider than the original, which I like. The bottom side is clear as well. (HAHA?) I will try to get a picture this weekend. The under-bonnet lights are mounted and wired such that they illuminate the top of the engine whenever the parking lights are on, bypassing the hood-open switch. I'm not too fond of this, and will probably return the switch to its original functionality. This bonnet was added by the previous owner, but he did supply the original as well.

Tom

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    thanks Tom, good to hear you have both then if you want to make it back to the original. I would love to see what the underneath of the deck lid looks like with the wiring as yo mentioned....it looks better than i thought it would...absolutely stunning.
    I wonder if i can get something like that done here in Toronto, and what it would cost.
    Look forward to the pics...thank you !

3. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
  4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #54 KENCO, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    Always good to see the Yellow Peril again Pete - hope you've reconsidered chopping it in for a Diablo??

6. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi mate :)

No Diablo yet, TR will be around for a little while yet. Downturn in the IT market means that toys are on hold (amongst everything else) :(

Need a few jobs doing on it-mostly cosmetic. Wheels need attention as the muppets who done them, done a terrible job.

How's you baby running?

7. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    Its running sweet now. Had it tuned (Shamile would call it balanced) at Mellors Elliott Motorsport in Bakewell and its like a different car now. Hoping the weather's going to improve so that I can get it out of storage and put some miles on it. I'm doing Le Mans / Classic Le Mans / Goodwood Festival of Speed and hopefully the 'Ring in it this year. Any plans to take the 'Flying Custard' across the Channel this year?

8. gtbastian

gtbastian Rookie

Jan 6, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    Tom Bastian
    #58 gtbastian, Feb 17, 2008
    Here are the pictures I promised from the underside. It looks like there are only 4 or 6 bolts that hold the bonnet on, so I would think the conversion is fairly simple and could be done by anyone.

Earlier, I said someone over-rode the lid switch so that the lights stayed on whenever the parking lights were on. I looked into it a little farther, and found that depressing the switch less than 1/8" caused the lights to go out. The switch is not being activated far enough. The decklid switch is in the decklid on the right side. Looking at it, I would swear that the plunger is long enough to activate when the lid is closed, but it is not. I taped a 0.1" shim to the body where the plunger hits, and it is enough to activate the switch and turn off the lights. This makes me wonder, 'How many TRs out there have their engine compartment lights on all the time the lights are on?' Of course, since most TRs are only driven on sunny days, the lights never get used, so it probably doesn't matter, right?

Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thanks, the wiring actually looks better than you originally described, is that carbon fibre around the edging of the glass ?

10. gtbastian

gtbastian Rookie

Jan 6, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    Tom Bastian
    Yes, the frame around the glass is carbon fiber. What you see on the underside is just the back side of the shiny outside, as seen in the earlier pictures. I
    think if you look at your decklid, you will find that the color-matched engine bonnet is just bolted into the veltilated black portion of the decklid, and is easily removed for replacement.

Tom

11. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    +1 ROFL...............I almost bust my gut on that one LOL

12. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    #62 khayes, Feb 26, 2008
    I had the opportunity to drive my car around the hilly twisties today and enjoy the sunshine. What a fun day in a fun car! Enjoy

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Khayes,

Very cool shot !

Well, it starts with a cool car !

Shamile