Blues Music | FerrariChat

Blues Music

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Seth, Feb 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    so I've recently "re-discovered" blues music, pretty much all types but wanted to start a thread that will lead me to more and more blues artist that were never "huge" in a sense with record sales...

i also like making playlist with progressions of certain artist
    for example

The Graham Bond Organization -> Cream -> Blind Faith ect...

following the progression of Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce is amazing. listening to the GBO is eerily like Cream w/o Clapton, and although it lacks a guitar(at least on the recordings I can find) it is some very good "Blues".

My current "Blues" playlist includes
    Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper
    Blind Faith
    Blodwyn Pig
    Cream
    CSNY (not really that much "blues" but Stephen Stills is damn good)
    Derek & the Dominos
    Free
    The Graham Bond Organization
    Led Zeppelin
    "Super Sessions" with Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills (AMAZING ALBUM)
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    Stephen Stills 1st Solo Album
    Ten Years After
    Traffic

im mainly "stuck" in the 60's British and US blues revival era and am trying to expand out of that, I obviously know of the classics like John Lee Hooker, BB King, Albert King, Buddy Guy and the greats like Hendrix, SRV etc... but just wanted to see what else is out there

also any new blues bands out there that are decent?? I've found the Black Keys and I seriously cannot stop listening to them.
    any suggestions?

2. RWickens

RWickens Rookie

Sep 10, 2007
    Check out Joe Bonamassa.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Sonny Terry & Brownie Maghee. There is a compilation CD called Rural blues - it is one of my favorite CD's. Also, Roy Rogers (not the country singer) is one of the greats that I have ever seen. Get some Robert Cray & John Lee Hooker. Robert Johnson is real old school, lots of fans but not particularly great to me. Stevie Ray Vaughn also has some great songs. And the old ZZ top (buy the 6 pack - their first six cd's before the radio styled pop/rock took them over).
    BT

4. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    SRV is simply amazing.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Looks like you're starting out on the same slippery slope that I did many moons ago. First: Page, Clapton, Hendrix. Soon to be followed by: Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King. Won't be long before you've moved on to Charley Patton, Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, etc!

6. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Add to your playlist John Lee hooker , Memphis Slim , Sonny boy Willamson II and don't forget about Willie Dixon .

7. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Most blues guys named "Willie" rock. I particularly like Blind Willy Johnson. It's old-school scratchy stuff.

Rent the PBS series: Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues

It's a great series with tons of blues history.

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    don't forget john mayall and his bluesbreakers. charlie musselwhite for great harp work. alexis horner(sic), he was one of the stones influences.

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    For a great contemporary blues, check out Mark Selby. He has two CDs out which are both great.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mike Bloomfield was perhaps the greatest white blues guitar player ever. Find American Flag. My favorite lick is the shortest -- EZrider. Too bad that the needle got another one.

Personally, I saw the Allman Bros at Pensacola Beach when they were the Almond Joys (no kidding!). I don't remember much about that night, though.:)

If you can, put the full Mountain Jam together from the Fillmore and Eat a Peach albums. Not really blues, but perhaps the best Southern rock jam ever, next to Liz Reed, of course. I could go on and on, but next time you're feeling down and out, crank up Whipping Post and play it loud!

My all time favorite is BB King. I saw him play for the first time in 1970. Now, 38 years later, he still does 150-200 dates a year. If you get a chance to see em, do it!

Dale

PS The blues are best heard live.

11. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    blind willie johnson's "dark was the night, cold was the ground" has been labeled as one of the greatest songs ever, iirc, it was sent out on one of the earliest space missions.

12. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Derek Trucks!! Absolute genius. Learned the slide guitar at the foot of Duane Allman. His uncle is Butch Trucks, drummer for the Allman Brothers Band. Derek plays with Allmans now, but his solo stuff is astounding.

No Picks, No pedal, No gimmicks. Tone to kill for......the real deal.

Enjoy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6912774645743222042&q=derek+trucks&total=592&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

and

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3632164167425706077&q=derek+trucks&total=592&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    When I started studying Blues guitar I started listening to some of the old-time originals. It's really interesting to hear the differences and where their influences surface in modern rock/blues music. I think Howlin' Wolf is my favorite and is probably the closest thing to a direct link between the blues and rock eras.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Don't think I didn't notice your avatar;)

15. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

You ever go to the Red Bar in Grayton Beach? I worked there around 97-98 and they had one of the best blues bands I've ever heard play on the weekends. Amazing music, absolutely amazing. The drummer used to play for BB King.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, I left the P-Cola area and the party life around 1976 when I came in out of the cold and went to work. :( My mom still lives there, and I have been to the Sandshaker on occasion. Maybe I'll have to get over to Grayton Beach and check it out. But there is no question that there are a lot of great blues going on in the Redneck Riviera. :)

Dale

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Because Sky Dog died in 1971, I doubt that Derek learned much from him. Maybe he is channeling! :)

But you are right. He and the guy who plays for government mule whose name escapes me are fantastic.

Dale

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Lucky Peterson is good as well....

19. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    spring training starts tomorrow! how long has it been? oh, wait a minute, 100 years! :)

20. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
  21. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you want to listen to some real blues garbage.... check out the album entitled "Mojo Priest"

22. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    awesome keep em coming!! my itunes account is going crazy now with all these downloads

and i guess i didn't phrase it properly, but when i say "rediscovered" I mean that I started listening to Blues music a lot, again, I used to be obsessed with Jimi Hendrix/SRV/Clapton and for about 3 years they were pretty much all I listened to, then I listened to pretty much crap for a few years, and now Im back into the 60's/Blues/Rock and am loving it. also I've seen my fair share of blues players live

so far
    Clapton 2 times
    BB King
    Crossroads Festival in Dallas 2004 (insane amount of people played there, at one point Clapton, BB King, Jimmie Vaughn, Buddy Guy, and a few others were on stage at one point jamming, it was truly amazing)
    Santana (not really "blues" but still damn good live)
    ZZ Top
    Joe Bonamassa at this amazing small club in London
    and hope fully the black keys in london in march

thanks again and ill let you know what ive listened to so far

23. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    BB King for sure ,,,and if he's playing within 200 miles make the trip.400 if it's a club,maybe 800.

But Muddy Waters is certainly strong,too. See if you can get ''Fathers and Sons''...Waters,Otis Spann,Mike Bloomfield,Paul Butterfield,Duck Dunn,Sam Lay,Buddy Miles.
    The almost 9 minute long live MojoWorking thing is *worth*it,seriously.It was done live in Chicago in '69 at the Super Cosmic Joy-Scout Jamboree .

24. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    the same band played at my club in baltimore, but for the life of me i can't remember his name.

25. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supershow

anyone ever seen this?? i tried to find it online but nothing... seems amazing

also for those interested this video is what got me back into Blues

http://www.stage6.com/Kings-Of-Rock/video/1236789/Cream---Crossroads-(Live)

the drums are amazing, the bass is amazing and of course clapton is amazing on this version of Crossroads
    this was after reading Claptons biography non-stop on a plane ride from London to Dallas just before christmas, ha, the guy next to me was freaked out, i started reading the book, had 1 break about 5 hours into the flight then straight back into the book. finished just about as we were landing, took about 11 hours total including listening to any songs i had by clapton as well, at the end of the flight all he said was, "good book?"

also on stage 6 there are 2 documentaries about Cream and the entire concert from 2005 when Cream reunited, the documentary was about how i found out about The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, and a few others when Clapton was talking about his first US trip