Feb 15 - 18 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    Anything happening in the Willoughby (sp?) Spit, Norfolk, Va. Beach area over the weekend of Feb 15 through Feb 18.

Unless something interferes, I will have the Mondial t cab (white, red interior, black convertible top) along with the dog at the Thirsty Camel next to the Fishing Pier Friday night around 10 PM.

Can also be reached on one of my nation wide cells at 702-336-5599.

[email protected]

2. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hi Dave,

Most of the VA Beach, Norfolk, Williamsburg area Ferrari owners keep in touch with the Richmond group and are on our mail list. Glad to add you if you would like. Our Richmond group is going to VIR for this weekend 15-17. PM me to add, if you would like. There are about 30 of us.

Down this way, May 3, also is drive to a winery in the Charlottesville (generally) area.

John
    Richmond, VA

3. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    Great bar. It's part of our drive every time we go to the beach.

4. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    Will also PM.

What is VIR?

I was born in Norfolk, VA and went to Norview High School.

Attended U. Va. as a DuPont Scholar (for poor but gifted students).

Years ago I lived at Willoughby Spit. It was the place that burned to the ground and is now a public access to the beach.

Put me on your mailing list.

Best is e-mail: [email protected] (soon to be changed to [email protected] as soon as I get a chance to change the servers in Scottsdale, Arizona).

My company is involved in devising new electronic knowledge systems for the Recruiting Command at Fort Knox.

In addition we are changing the software behind such sites as goarmy.com, futuresoldiers.com, etc.

I am not for sure how long I will be at Fort Knox. If I am here in May, would like to join the drive.

Snail Address in Kentucky (Ferrari is at another location):
    2500 S. Dixie Blvd. #225
    Radcliff, KY 40160

Permanent Address:
    2510 E. Sunset Rd # 5-522
    Las Vegas, NV 89120

Have a great day,
    Dave

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  6. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
  7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dave.

So you got your car all plugged back together?

Last I heard it was sitting waiting on some insurance claim, or a decision on your part following its theft and recovery.

Glad to see she's all back together. Any new pix to show before and after? It was quite a mess when the police found it as I recall.

If you want to travel a little farther north, we have a morning cars and coffee each Saturday in West Chester, PA, and maybe a follow up drive, perhaps even to Algar this weekend.

Let us Know,

Dave M.

8. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    #8 davewapinski, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Insurance claims and lawsuits still on-going.

The theft ring is in jail for a very long time.

Algar in PA worked on it.

Then I had it trucked to Gran Turismo in Portland Oregon.

Was in Oregon helping to redo the computer and knowledge systems for Oregon and Ohio Medicaid Systems. My company is a sub-contractor for Electronic Data Systems who have the prime contract.

So far my company has spent about $25,000 to $28,000 redoing the Mondial t.

Mechanically it is probably better than new.
    Drove it from Portland, Oregon to Fort Knox, Kentucky with no issues except wear and tear on the driver (and having to put fuel into it).

I am not satisfied with the cosmetics yet, but getting there.
    Also I want to change a few things from Ferrari’s design. For example the switches for the rear windows are where dogs want to stand. Will relocate them and a few other changes.

Although it was a professional theft ring who also owned a towing company, they were not able to hot-wire the Ferrari. They even cut out part of the steering column trying.

They were able to defeat the shifter lock from Ultimate Pedals like it was not even there.

Have hear of VIR but until now, that was all I knew.

Would like to try it one day soon.

Weather at Fort Knox deteriated quite rapidly last night and is a current concern.

Trip this weekend might be postponed due to the weather.
    Have not decided yet.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    John,

I'd love to. I've been to Summit Point 3 or 4 times so far and really like it. I'm not very good yet on the track but I have a lot of fun learning with an instructor on board. VIR looks like a longer track and a great time. It's a bit of a drive from Northern VA so I'd probably stay down in Southern VA or Northern NC while there. I looked on MapQuest and it is 243 miles one way from my house. Probably a 4.5 hour drive (or perhaps a little faster - depending on average speed).

I don't have a car trailer so I'd be driving my "track car" there and back. Kind of like the old days when racers did that with 250 SWBs and 275 GTBs. (Okay, I admit, cruising down the highway in a modern 430 isn't exactly like the old days).

Is there a website I can monitor for the VIR track days coming up this year? Or can I get on the Richmond area email list?

Thanks,
    Toggie

10. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    #10 davewapinski, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the Ferrari in Kentucky this morning and also a few minutes ago.

I have a new car cover on order for it.

Unfortunately I do not need to go to PA for business any time soon and I have no personal reasons to go to PA. So I will take a rain check.

I have had more tragedy and more to overcome than the average person, but I have also had far more joy than the average person. So I am ahead.

I do not dwell on tragedy but turn it into a better game plan.

[email protected]

11. Red4RECAT

Red4RECAT Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    MD
    Full Name:
    Cyndi T
    I was born and raised in VA Bch but went to a private school in Norfolk. I now live in MD. It would be fun to make a Ferrari run down there for a weekend meet. Seeing a bunch of exotics on the Hampton Bridge would be an awesome sight!

12. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    well said! Pretty Mondial BTW.

13. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    I'd probably make the trip too.
    We have relatives in Chesapeake we could visit...probably leave on a Friday morning and go the "back way" (Eastern Shore to Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel, more scenic, less congestion)

I love the Mondial (and the dog)...looks great in white/red combo.

14. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Our Richmond group has a satellite group in Williamsburg and VA Beach totaling 6 or 7 more cars.

15. John Dowling

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    Hey Toggie,

www.virclub.com is the website. You will see "member days" on the calendar.

VIR has a really neat "Lodge" (hotel/motel) right on the property. Very nice, brand new and only $72 a night. There is also an old farmhouse made into a Tavern and restaurant, swimming pool, garage storage all with security. The place is nice! Everything you need for the weekend. Never have to leave the complex.

16. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    I would also be interested in such a run. Sounds like fun!

Probably be most efficient for the Richmond Group to set it up if they are interested.

The Thirsty Camel used to have great dinner specials on Friday night and decent live bands.

My company would be willing to buy a round of drinks for the participants.

However, I think we should go for what works for everyone.

I come from the poor side of the tracks. However, I have friends worth over $100 million and friends who make less than $10 k a year.

I try to look at who people are.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote words to the effect that a true gentleman is at home in any society (also holds true for a gentlewoman). This is how I live my life.

Normally I do not like white cars. However, I think the Mondial t looks sharp in white/red.

I am lucky to have such a great dog as Black Terror (personality opposite from his name).

Have a great evening,
    [email protected]

PS: I was in MD in August/September consulting for IRS (northern beltway plus Pennsylvania Ave). If one applies for tax exempt status, one is using my company’s work.

If one is from Va. Beach, a friend of mine is Lance Lavenstein (chain of Holiday Inns, father tried to start a hamburger chain competing against McDonalds, etc. Champs I think they called it.) No, I am not Jewish, just in character.

17. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    Good morning,

I am postponing coming to VA due to the weather travel conditions.

When I planned the trip it was sunny and around 60. Since then the weather has gone downhill.

Planned on driving to VA through the mountains tomorrow Friday and returning late on Monday. Planned on enjoying the nice drive. Best information I can get is that the driving conditions through the mountains will be very bad on both Friday and Monday.

When the storms hit Fort Knox two days ago, it took 3 hours to go 15 miles mainly due to the backed up traffic.

It does not seem like fun to drive 600 miles under such conditions.

Although disappointing, I thought it best to postpone until better weather.

What other weekends would be best for everyone?

Maybe we can make a day or two out of it.

Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

[email protected]