F360 Spyder for $108,000 Why Not? | FerrariChat

F360 Spyder for $108,000 Why Not?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ronsupercar, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
  2. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    this one has been on there a while right? i think there was even a thread on it a few weeks ago. personally, it looks good to me, high miles, but for $100K... why not

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There's a yellow on black one for sale in the Tampa area for the same price. Euro, 6-speed, 30k done, etc... probably beaten on, but for that price, you should have a few bucks left over to get it back in shape.

On a side note, I find it funny that they have it listed as a "Spyder"... It clearly says right on the dashboard "360 Spider"... dur!

-R

4. zjhoward

zjhoward Karting

Dec 15, 2007
    Full Name:
    Zachary Howard
    I wouldn't buy it because of all that tacky ****. I'd pay the extra 40 grand not like look like an idiot with that wing, body kit and diffuser.

5. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    the wing is definitely a deal killer, much less the side rocker panels

6. Way2Fun

Way2Fun Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris D.
    According to the seller, the car is due for a major service; they have no service records for the car; and they have no details on the conversion to US specs.

7. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    If someone buys an Euro model, do you have to convert it to US specs.

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Yes, unless the Environmental Protection Agency and Department Of Transportation (EPA/DOT) compliances have already been completed. This can be confirmed with proper documentation or contacting the EPA/DOT with the VIN.

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Euro cars should all be converted. If they have a legitimate State title then they've gone through a certification process by a registered importer. At least that is the legal process.

10. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    I am pretty sure that was Wyclef Jean's car. I could be wrong. I know it was an 01 Euro Car Red/Black 2X,XXX miles, Hamann kit, wing, red painted interior panels. I believe those are the wheels he had on his. Unqiue Motorworks did the mods. He was not very particular about who he let drive his cars. I would imagine that it has been beaten pretty hard. The price is probably right but if you take it to a dealer for a ppi expect a $15-20k estimate.
    Ed

11. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    29k high miles eh?

you guys are hilarious

12. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    The engine needs to grow four more cylinders...

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A Euro model, with no records, and tons of modifications is NOT the car for a first time Ferrari buyer by a long shot. First time buyers a much better off buying from a reputable dealer, unless they have spent a good deal of time studying the cars, the market and such.

14. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    No collision damage?

Then if you're into the pimp my ride look, What's the harm?

Do it on a lark.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You obviously do not have any Ferrari ownership knowledge then. Miles are dollars, simple as that....and the average 360 probably has 15 to 20k miles. Me? I drive the snot out of each Ferrari I have owned, putting anywhere from 8 to 10k miles per year on them...my 355 spider has almost 47k miles on it. I would bet I would take a hefty hit if I were to sell it.

But if miles don't mean anything to you, wanna buy a nice 355 spider? ;)

16. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I just sold my 1998 355 Spider with 32k miles. I was told repeatedly that these cars should be in the single digits to get top dollar.

17. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    +1

The car is too modified for my tastes

18. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    #18 zippyslug31, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Not a tough fix.......

20. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I'm assuming you are amazed at the price. If so there are about 5 for under $100k in the auto-trader and as low as $95k with an average of 15k miles to 29k miles seems to me the prices are dropping quickly for the 360. There are still some for sale for $180k for just a couple of years newer with similar miles, I would not be able to justify loosing $80k for a 2 year difference.

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I understand what you're saying, but I find that a very generic statement. All things being equal, a car with 5K miles will fetch more than a car with 30K miles. The real question is whether the difference in price between those two mileage points was worth the value reduction.

If you go by KBB for most cars, their mileage tables give relatively low % difference of car value due to high or low miles; the age of the car is the strongest determinant. With a range of +/- a few hundred dollars for a difference of +/- 10K miles, most people just drive the heck out of the typical car. With Ferraris it seems (probably due to the large number of low miles cars available which puts a steeper depreciation curve on higher mile cars) that it's +/- $10K for a difference of +/- 10K miles (pick your ratio, but probably somewhere around there). At a cost of $1/mile in depreciation (plus $1/mile operating/maintenance costs, which is probably where the rule of thumb of $2/mile comes from) a lot of owners tend to think twice about driving it too much, this probably helps create the low miles phenomena.

Then you have the phenomena of the people who can afford to buy these cars new and have no problem with the depreciation or operating/maintenance costs. In that case, they often have several cars in the garage and are quite willing to drive the cars, but they have too many to drive and only put a little on each year. So you get low miles young cars.

Then you have the phenomena where as the car gets lower in price, you reach a broader market of buyers who can just afford the car. Even though the depreciation curve starts to flatten, the operating/maintenance cost curve hasn't changed, so it still costs $1.00-$1.50/mile. Now the buyer is afraid to drive it because of the maintenance cost and now you have low miles old cars.

The ideal situation to be in is to have just enough money where $10-20K per year on 2nd or 3rd car expenses is not a problem, but you're not working so hard that you don't have time to drive the cars or making so much money that you're tempted to buy many new ones. That owner figures $1-2/mile is a cheap price for entertainment and they just drive the heck out of the cars like they're supposed to be.

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Just checked. The lowest priced 360 Spider on Autotrader is about $130k... Not sure what you're looking at, but if you can point me to numerous 360 Spiders for under $100k, let me know!

-R

23. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Dude check again there are now 11 under $98k and one as low as $89k do a nation wide search.

24. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Just checked again. Nothing there... if you can link me to a 360 SPIDER for 89k, I'll buy it tomorrow :)

-R

25. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    He must be talking about the Modena Coupes...