308 V12 conversion begins | Page 32 | FerrariChat

308 V12 conversion begins

Discussion in '308/328' started by mk e, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #776 mk e, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Things are going to seem slow now as I do the machine work on the trans case. Tonight I re-cut the top face so it’s flat again. Tomorrow is family day (Lana’s off Fridays) so no work. I might get a little done Saturday, but that Lana’s day to relax so I watch the little one (who I saw take his first couple steps yesterday so I’m guessing it about to get harder :) ). Sunday is technically my day to do what I want so hopefully Lana will give me at least a couple hours :)

I’ve seen a lot of adds lately selling collectable stuff and while cleaning up tonight I had a great idea! I’ve got a case of 4 oz bottles under my desk at work that have been there for 5 years from a canceled project….so here’s your chance for just $25 to own a 4 fl oz bottle of metal chips from this historic project. There is a very limited supply so act fast!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'm surprised you haven't melted them down and built an F-15 or a space shuttle out of them.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    :)

Or how about little cast replica engines with increasable detail for only $99.99 or 3 easy payments of $39.99. Supplies are limited and there is a strict limit of 5 per household so act NOW!

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Those are just aluminum chips. BUT I bet you could take the pieces of original Ferrari castings that you Sawzalled off and e-bay them, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got $25 and more for pieces. The strangest stuff gets sold on ebay.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Plus they won't fit in the bottles anyway :)

6. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not buying your metal shavings, but I would be more than happy to send over a second bottle of champagne (Buzz has the first) when you're finished ;)

Thanks again for posting up your progress so often - the anticipation for new pictures and details is greater than watching a weekly TV series!

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I just can't believe nobody wants to buy the metal filings ;)

I hate to admit it but I started posting more for selfish reasons than anything else. First it saves me emailing friends who like to stay up to date. Second I like to get suggestions and feedback, there have been quite a few good suggestions posted along the way and I’m certain the final outcome will be better because of them.

I’ve been incredibly surprised by the number of people following this project. I expected “what have you done to that poor car” as the general feeling when I first posted and only about 6 people to actually care enough to follow the foolishness….I mean the project.

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    There are actually less than your anticipated 6 people watching. The rest are all stolen/fake users created by BrightSizeLife to keep this thread alive. It will all come crashing to and end soon I suppose now that he's banned.

Kidding of course. The mix of tech talk and humor in this thread is perfect. I want one of the little replica engines when you get them done. I'll use the payment installment option.

I have also forgotten what the subject 308 looks like, so back to the beginning of the thread again for me.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Make that 7 people watching.

I can only hope to tackle such a cool project in my lifetime.

10. Paul308

Paul308 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is my favorite thread too. I definitely wish you luck in this endeavor. It's a massive undertaking and you appear to be quite fearless and skilled. May you have the fastest 308 in the world for your efforts! :)

Paul

P.S. If you were putting a small block chevy in it (a sizable feat in itself), there would be more cries of "sacrilege". However, since you are doing it with Ferrari parts and are making such huge modifications, you have our respect and admiration.

11. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I've been thinking about this and I'd go for the metal filings if there was some sort of certificate of authenticity that came with it. Otherwise, it would get lost in my collection of god-knows-what in glass jars scattered about the house. A spoof on private label wine, something like "Jar #1 of 4: Certified 20oz of aluminum shavings from Ferrari engine #zzzzz, chassis #yyyyy, produced in the creation of the V12 308."

12. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    #787 buzzm2005, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like this:

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ferrari parts that are of the correct era and could have been used by the factory if they had wanted to create this car. THAT is what makes this project even more special. The 308 (or should I say 512, 412? 4.512?) will have the heart and soul of a Ferrari.

14. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Pffffftt !! You can't just call this "The Ferrari 308 V12 project" !!

Its the "Franken-motor" !! :D

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Not being a purist myself I'm fascinated by your "project". Making something out of nothing, which is what you are doing with all the "in-between" parts, is what really amazes me. Your vision to be able to see what needs to be made to fit two parts together that weren't made to go together is amazing in itself. To be able to come up with innovative ways of making the parts to make them fit is even more so! Amazing, fascinating, inspiring, whatever you want to call it, I'm hooked. This is one of the few threads I would ever subscribe to!

Oh, and I think there are a lot more than 6 or 7 or 8 people watching this thread.

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    HAHAHA!

17. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Being that I am a huge fan of "making cars what they were not to begin with," I freaking LOVE this thread and car! One of these days I absolutely HAVE to get up there and have a look-see.... and, of course, you must do the same when down this way!

Keep the pics coming!
    Bill

18. jrussell

jrussell Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    There's even people you don't know are checking this thread a few times a day.... like me. :) It's nice to see all the progress and the pics are fantastic. I can't wait to see it in person and hear it run.

BTW: Aaron and I discuss your project a couple of times a week too. "What crazy stuff is Mark up to now?" is usually the response I get. I can't imagine why. ;)

-Jason

19. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would probably be the first one to cry if someone stuffed a non Ferrari motor in a Ferrari. There are places where its okay and I understand, but generally its just not necessary. As far as keeping them stock, im all for that too. But there are some projects that just scream at you to tackle, and this is one of them for me. I dont know if its anything I would take on or not, but this is certainly fun to watch.

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Love it :)

(I'll send you some chips for free, but don't tell any one ;) )

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I can't understand why Aaron would think I do crazy things.......and I can't wait until I need you up here to help me get it running either.

(for everyone out of the loop, Aaron was a key part of the Formula car projects at college and Jason is a buddy of his who is part of the VEMS ecu team and has offered to help get the electronics for this thing sorted out which will save me a lot of money and effort)

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    That is HUGE. Electronics is a deal breaker...................

23. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Count me in as another who has not posted but checks in daily to watch the progress. I love this kind of stuff.

24. schwaggen

schwaggen Karting

Apr 22, 2006
    Miami FL
    Save the metal shavings- you may want to weld them together later into a spare V-12...

;)

25. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Count another silent watcher in. Amazing thread, I'm also checking this one daily ;) By the way, I've also been into the Formula SAE over the last 2 years. But I guess times have changed a bit if you were there in the 80s, today it's pretty crazy with carbon fiber monocoques basically equal to those of F1, own engine test benches and middle six-figure budgets...