Paint removal on plastic models??? | FerrariChat

Paint removal on plastic models???

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by davelor, Feb 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davelor

davelor Karting

Aug 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    David Loretto
    Hey, I have a Tamyia 360 Spider that I messed up the paint job on, I need to strip the whole thing and repaint the body, I've tried turpentine and nail polish remover but nothing has gotten rid of all the paint. The turpentine actually started to affect the plastic I think as well. How can I best remove all the paint so I can start over? If it matters I'm painting it with tamiya spray cans. Thanks,
    -dave

2. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Easy Off Oven cleaner or Castrol Super Clean. Won't harm plastic, but Wear a mask when dipping or spraying the stuff.
    Let it sit for about an hour or two, wash off with a old tooth brush.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Almost all solvents affect plastic negatively. Is it possible to just sand it down and reprime then respray?

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #5 1_can_dream, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Camoradi

Camoradi Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Peak District, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Barnett
    I'd say the very last choice for paint removal on plastic would be any sort of abrasive paper. To get all the paint off it will remove detail, soften the edge of panels where you have to rub up to and along and edge, and the force of firmly holding the parts 'can' lead to breaks in screen pillars etc. And if your time is worth anything it has to be far cheaper to go and buy a new kit than sit down and carefully sand paint off all weekend.

The first thing I would try is brake fluid, this usually works. Immerse the parts in Dot 3 and when the surface starts to get soft stipple and drag it with a very stiff brush. This breaks the paints glossy surface and allows the fluid to get properly to work. Leave for a day or so or until all the paint has disolved off. It can make the plastic turn matt, but it won't damage it or soften it, although brake fluid should be kept well away from clear plastic windows etc.

If for some reason brake fluid doesn't work the second thing to try is oven cleaner, I guess in the US the 'Easy Off' that 88porsche944 suggested. This can work spectacularly well, or very poorly, depending on the paint and the application of the product. The key thing is to use it in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out at all. If it dries it can set the paint harder than it was before!

Steve

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Buy a new model and replace the messed up parts.

Seriously. I have tried paint remover and sanding paper and also trying to paint over. New parts is the best way to go.

7. pawlie

pawlie Formula Junior

May 10, 2006
    Philly, USA
    Full Name:
    Paul F.
    You can actually just order replacement parts from Tamiya...should be under $10usd for a new body shell.

There is a phone number on www.tamiyausa.com

The number is 1-800-Tamiya-A (1-800-826-4922)

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've used CSC, it works great. Gloves and eye protection are essential.