Traveling to British GP...Need advice! | FerrariChat

Traveling to British GP...Need advice!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Soto Veloce, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    My wife and I will be visiting the U.K. in July and are planning to make the British GP part of our trip. Neither of us have ever been to England and would really appreciate some advice to help plan the trip:

1. How far is Silverstone from London? Is it practical to stay in London and travel to the circuit each day, or would it be better to spend the weekend at a hotel closer to the race? The British GP website mentions catching a bus from the Central Milton Keynes Station. Would this be a practical option since we are not planning on rentng a car?

2. For anyone who has been to Silverstone, is it worth the (slightly) higher ticket price to sit in Woodcote or Luffield rather than Becketts Outside?

3. Any general recommendations on things to do, places to go, or restaurants to try for two people who have never been to the U.K. before?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris

I'd be interested in the info as well. I'm considering coming over for the GP too and would be trying to book a hotel, race tickets, etc.

Regards,
    Chris

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We've not been to the F1 race, however, we will be going to the LeMans Series race at Silverstone in September and will avoid London and will fly into Birmingham (closer), rent a car and stay close to the circuit. I would surmise that the "close" hotels don't have any availability. With the LMS tickets we have access to the entire track (minor exception if like other LMS races) and paddock locations for the 1000 km race so can't offer anything on places to sit. If any of you from the UK have been to the LMS race there, any suggestions are welcome here. Rik if you read this thread, please PM. Thanks

Good luck and hopefully someone will help us both with info for both races.
    Carol

I recall seeing F1 tickets on sale for the F1 race quite some time ago - read somewhere where they expect a sell-out.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Tickets are direct from Silverstone on the web - its about 70 miles from London - commuting daily by public transport could be time-consuming - the weekend before or after is Goodwood Festival which also is not easy by public transport but has lots of threads already on here including http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180512

As to visiting the UK us its a big place so you need to focus a bit on where you'd like to go and what sort of things you'd like to see and how long you're coming for especially if you do not want a car

5. matt4

matt4 Rookie

Nov 17, 2007
    London to Silverstone is around 50 miles or so from North London!

Commuting would be too long especially on race day. If you get caught in the race day tailbacks you won't make it to the circuit. I know its more expensive but I recommend you book a hotel near silverstone or milton Keynes.

You can then take a day trip to London after the weekend or whatever you want.

If you are going to catch the bus from central milton keynes station make sure you leave plenty of time in advance!

No clue about luffield and woodcote. With Becketts you probably wont see much as the cars are always pulling away there.

6. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I went last year and stayed in Reading (just west of London) and drove each morning. It was no trouble at all. I took us about 1.5 hrs and traffic was light (we left before 7am each day). The biggest headache was the mass confusion after the race in the grass parking lots. The parking attendants were useless, and it took us nearly 2 hours just to get to the road leading to the motorway.

It's a phenomenal weekend! Our seats were in Copse, but we did a few laps around the track during the practice sessions and enjoyed the view. Hamilton Fever was in full bloom, and the roar I heard (and joined) when he took pole is something I'll never forget.

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Hi Chris

1. It's about 1 to 1.5 Hour Drive on a good day from London to Silverstone, public transport in the UK is pretty dire, not sure i'd trust it to get me there on the day!, It might be practical to stay in the Oxford area and look at taxi costs, I suspect there isn't a hotel anywhere near there now

2. You will see the cars much more from Luffield/ Woodcote and without traction control this Year i suspect there will be a fair few spinners in the complex, it is the slowest part of the circuit though and from Luffield you can see the big screen to watch what's happening elsewhere, from Woodcote you may not. Becketts is an awesome place to watch the incredible grip but you will see the Cars only for a fleeting glimpse and in past Years there hasn't been a screen facing the outside of the circuit. If you want to watch the open sections of the track I'd opt from Abbey (outside) it's uncovered so hoe it's dry but you can see from Stowe right round to Bridge. Are you just planning ot go for Race day or the whole Weekend?

3. Are you only staying in London? any particular interests other than the typical tourist attractions? I'd suggest coming to the FOC Concours but they seem to have planned it for the same day as the GP!

8. Roughneck

Roughneck Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Last year was our last at going i am afraid to say. Don't let that put you off it is a MUST DO !! You will love it but after going year after year the novelty has now worn off.

This is down to "Lewis Mania". Last year Friday was busy enough (never seen so many people on a Friday practice) but Saturday we didn't even make it to the track as the traffic was so bad so we decided to turn back and watch it on TV!

Sunday morning we set off from Brum at 2.00am trackside at 5.00am to get a good spot.. then waited for 9hrs to watch the cars go past at over 150mph 60ish times and then the chaos of getting out.

Place is built to handle say 40-50,000 and didn't cope that well with 90,000 + !

Not so much the track more the roads in and out i am afraid...

A great thing to do though... and the vibe will be electric especially if Lewis is doing very well!

(having said all this i will probably get the itch once the season starts.. so see you there!) :D

9. Rosserboy

Rosserboy Karting

Apr 30, 2007
    Newport,South Wales
    Full Name:
    James Rosser
    I was lucky enough to work at silverstone last year stewarding at becketts, the sight of all 22 cars coming around the corner on the 1st lap was something else. Managed to sneak into luffield for friday practice and it is a good spot and but remember your ear plugs!!

10. radioman

radioman Karting
    BANNED

Sep 25, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    CHRIS
    hi Chris

Traffic can be a disaster on race day so if you can afford it book a couple of seats on a helicopter its not all that expensive and you get in and out real easy.

if not ,leave early and enjoy the day, it is awsome , i worked for a race team and went to Silverstone on many occasions but of course i was already there in the pits.

chris.

11. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    This will be my 16th consecutive year at Silverstone.

Like most events, sorting out a routine makes life easier. I am lucky to have an ex colleague and good friend who lives 8 miles from the track and I always stay with him and his family, and more than often accompanied by my son.

I always go for all three days, and normally aim to get to the circuit around 07.00, (the first day from home - near Reading - 60 miles away - about 08.00). Apart from the one raceday in the infamous April "wet" meeting, I have NEVER had to queue other than briefly to get in at that time of day.

Having been there all weekend, I don't normally bother with the final support race after the GP but leg it to the car park immediately the race is finished (I wait to applaud the drivers on the slow down lap). The exceptions were when Eddie Jordan had his after race concerts - but that is long gone.

The last three years I have been home (as I say 60 miles away) within 70 minutes of the end of the race. Last year I didn't actually come to a halt from getting into my car at Silverstone to arriving at home. Just takes a bit of planning and experience. :)

12. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    1. How far is Silverstone from London? Is it practical to stay in London and travel to the circuit each day, or would it be better to spend the weekend at a hotel closer to the race? The British GP website mentions catching a bus from the Central Milton Keynes Station. Would this be a practical option since we are not planning on rentng a car?

2. For anyone who has been to Silverstone, is it worth the (slightly) higher ticket price to sit in Woodcote or Luffield rather than Becketts Outside?

3. Any general recommendations on things to do, places to go, or restaurants to try for two people who have never been to the U.K. before?

====================================

1. Try the Northampton area - buses also run to/from the circuit which is 30 mins west.Plenty of Travel Inn's (www.travelinn.co.uk) budget hotels locally

2.More action at Luffield on the outside

3.Don't bother going to the Grand Prix and head south from London to Goodwood (www.goodwood.co.uk) and the Festival of Speed (usually 6 of the current F1 teams make it there) on Fr 11/12/13th July

pm me if you need more

E

13. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Get in quick it may not be there next year :D:D:D