Sound system in 355 | FerrariChat

Sound system in 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by houtie123, Feb 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Now we all know that the factory fit Sony and changer is a little "modest" in performance. Fortunately mine has expired. The question is, what to replace it with? I live in the sticks so local car radio dealers don't know the car and are just trying to sell me the highest end unit they can.
    So I have a few questions for the brethren.

->What are standard size speakers supplied in the doors - 5" or 6". Are they standard depth.? Has anyone successfully upgraded them, and if so, please could you let me know what you fitted? Can anyone point me to a description as to how to remove the door trims that I can give to my radio guys?

->For the headunit, I would have thought that a power output of 50 or 60w would be adequate to feed 2 speakers and tweeters : is this so or has anyone fitted a seprate amp (presumably in the front)

->I am mulling putting an IPOD compatible unit in the car with the lead to the IPOD wired through to the front so I can then plug my IPOD in before I go, and control it from the head unit display. Has anyone done this? Is is straightforward? Do you have any head unit recommendations for me?
    Thanks in advance

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Door speakers are 6.5" and are not a standard depth. I replaced mine with JL Audio components. Door speakers and tweeters for the dash. I removed the door panel, removed the speaker and fired up the recip saw. I cut out the metal from behind where the speaker sits, so I could easily put any size depth speaker in. I also replaced the dash speakers...

The door panel is a pain in the rear to remove, it is not hard just so many screws and nuts. I need to remove mine again and plan on doing a video writeup on the removal if you can wait for that and I will post the link.

I have last years Alpine head unit, not sure which model. Its iPod compatible. Just switch the head unit to ipod mode and plug in the ipod. I have the ipod cable running up to my center console so the ipod sits right down in there. Once the ipod is plugged in all the functions work from the headunit...

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I dropped a set of Boston Acoustics 5.25" Pro Series in the doors and dash. The stock speakers are 6.5" but unusually shallow, so most 6.5" speakers probably won't fit. My head unit is an Alpine with built in XM (dunno if you have satellite radio in the UK) so I didn't have to take up space with an extra tuner. I also have a small Alpine amp in the spot where the CD changer used to be, so it doesn't take up any space in the trunk. There's not a whole lot you can do in these cars, but some basic drop-in replacements will definitely make long trips much more tolerable.

-R

4. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    285 - I believe you cut out a section of the door panel to fit your speakers, correct?

I'm in the same process as houti123 except mine was a cobble job aftermarket install. I spent too much time already cleaning the rear deck leather and carpet from the Velcro speaker attachment method! Maybe we can both post photos and progress here.

Along those lines, what is the best way to remove the rear deck leather section. Haven't seen an obvious way to remove although I would guess it may snap into place. (Need to remove said cobble job wiring!)

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, only took a few minutes with a recip saw. Now I can fit as deep a speaker as I want with no clearance problems

6. SWE355

SWE355 Rookie

Nov 6, 2006
    In my car there is a Sony CDX-MP40 CD/MP3 Receiver with CD changer control 4x50watts 23,2 RMSwatts
    I mounted new speakers in the doors and in panel Earthquake Compo FC 62 110 watts RMS 6,5" With 1" Mylar dome diskant,for the panel.The bass elements fits very well same depth and width as the original. I placed the tweeters on the original holder in the panel.
    It is very difficult to find a good place for the bass element. I placed it just in front of the passengerseat on the floor. An MDS DA 10D Amplified subwoofer 8" basselement RMS 200watt Dimensions 13,7"X9,8"X2,8" The thinnest active bass amplifier i could find on the market,with good sound. There is plenty of room for the passengers feet anyway.
    Try this concept, it fits well and sounds very very good. OK OK The engine sounds much better !!!

7. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I'd love to see a picture of that!!!

8. trentw

trentw Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
    Full Name:
    Warren Trent
    Oh no! ;)

9. F3sixty

F3sixty Karting

Feb 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks for the replies since I was going to be getting into mine pretty soon.

I have yet to do my car as of yet. but the stereo will be pulled as it will be my store demo car and displaying my equipment. As with all my cars I will I will get some install photos done in process and hope they will help in the future. I also want to do it in such a way the factory system can be put back in so it will not affect resale value.

I know this doesn't help you now as you will probably have already done it by the time I do. But I will try to get some documentation for the boards when I do my venture.

And yeah, the engine sounds better anyway.

10. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #10 Bee Jay, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks guys -great info!!! Does anyone have experience of adding rear speakers and/or subwoofer in a Spider? I think the options are pretty limited!

Does anyone have part nos etc for the any aftermarket "shallow" 6.5" door speakers that would slot right into the hole? Ditto for the tweeters. If you've got a system that works I will order the speakers from US if necessary

I'm not that keen to start cutting up the trim since I'd like to try and keep it as original as possible (always thinking about the next owner!)

Thanks for comments re the head unit - could you give me the model no of the thin amp you mention - putting it in the CD changer position is a smart move - thanks for the tip!!