New 550 Owner and some questions | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New 550 Owner and some questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bbshriver, Feb 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    #76 Crallscars, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have 3 Avanti's shown nationally, yes its in a cheeper car class, the point is, the finest one of the 3, is a car brought back from salvage and then in a second major accident.

National judges have never found any accident damage on that car!
    It has received 400 of 400 points, can you tell which car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    If Ali is Iranian then by nationality he is not Arab, he may be Arab of Iranian nationality, just as there are many Jews and Christians of Syrian, Iraqi, Egyptian, Yemeni, Lebanese, even Saudi nationality. Sadly the ignorant cast a giant shadow with their illusions and prejudice. And what the heck has it got to do with cars !

3. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    I have no idea how we ended up talking about Arabian jews or Christian muslims or whatever...
    I don't think any of us here would describe ourselves as "politically correct".... look at the gas mileage on your F if you disagree...
    I am a Christian, and given the opportunity will gladly do business with others of similar belief. Hoever oddly enough it never occurred to me to ask Ali what his religious background was, or base car purchasing decision soley on that fact. There's plenty of shady characters who claim to be Christians and Jews, and probably any other religion you can name off...
    The fact was Ali seemed to be a very nice guy, obviously doing very well for himself (no shady gas&liquor store in sight).

As far as political correctness BS... last "Holiday season" the first "Merry Christmas" (rather than "happy holiday" I heard was in broken english from the turban wrapped- red-dot-on-forehead Indian man working at the Subway in the airport...
    So the people the PC crowd are trying to not offend are the only ones left doing their own thing...

But alas, this is a CAR forum, not a political/religious/shady gas station forum...

My original question was related to problems we had AFTER buying the car (not mistakes we made WHILE buying it), and what they were likely to be, and ID of a good local shop. The car is at what seems to be a good shop, and is being gone over.... Can we stick to topic please? Take the political discussion to the OT threads?

4. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    BTW Cralls, nice Avanti's... I've always liked those... I think ;)

5. You said it!!!
    Like I said before, you keep a very level head, on such a crappy thread. I couldnt agree more.

BACK TO FERRARIS PLEASE!!
    (or just end this thread)

6. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    LOVE the collection! Very unusual and SUPER nice cars!!!

7. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Thank you, they are pretty neat cars. We need to get them out, they haven't been started in 2 years, or driven in more than I will openly admit

8. TifosiF1

TifosiF1 Karting

Feb 12, 2008
    You got to watch out for those Arab Muslim extremists, they're shady characters is all. Now everyone watch, I'll get posts responding back like "WELL NOT ALL ARABS ARE TERRORISTS" waaa waaa awwww poor baby, I know I'm going to get back some 6th grade politically correct Sesame Street "We all can live together" nonsense. lol loosen up, get a personality. Racial jokes are fine, it won't hurt anyone.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Very well said.

10. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    You are in the wrong forum. Out. Thanks.

11. TifosiF1

TifosiF1 Karting

Feb 12, 2008
    Naw, I'll post whatever I want here, thanks anyways.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Actaully, no, you won't.

Tone it down. This is a car forum, not Politics and Religion.

As to the rest of your drivel... pffft.

Gonna give you the weekend off to consider the content of your future posts.

DM

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    BBS, glad to hear things are working out for you.

I had an 86 TR that had a similar issue. I was driving from Upstate NY to VA and all of a sudden I loose revs over about 3000. In my surprise, I had not noticed my "Slow Down" lights were on and I thought I dropped the clutch. Anyway noticed the lights as the plume of smoke came from my rear deck. I immediately pulled over (this was all over about 300 to 500 yards) and popped the deck after throwing my luggage on the shoulder (afraid the car was on fire). The CAT was red hot and steaming. Had the car towed from Binghamton, NY to Boston, MA (Bought the car at FoNE and they were closest dealer so it worked). The tow company was great and so was USAA roadside who picked up the tab. They stored the car overnight on the flatbed locked in their garage. Next morning ran it to Boston. Turns out I had a broken distributer cap, bad ignition wires and plugs. Basically had to redo the ignition setup.

Anyway, hope your family has fun with the car as they were meant for the miles!

Enjoy,
    dsd

14. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    MOD to the rescue! Thanks, that was getting a little... weird.

15. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One of the nicest used cars I ever bought was from a foriegn gentleman that owned a buy here pay here lot. It was his personal ride and was absolutely perfect. He was also great to do business with. I did not use his financial services however. :) A car stands on it's own. Enjoy your car and **** the naysayers.

16. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    GOOD NEWS!!
    Steve at Omega has looked the car over in detail, and found no indication of any damage/bodywork/repair. Everything on the car looks on the up and up, Running problems are attributed to an ignition pickup and rubber housings on the fuel pumps degrading (suspected gasoline addative). He's got the fuel system cleaned out of all the debris, and hopefully new fuel pumps will be in Monday.

So if the car was ever damaged it must have been purely cosmetic, and repaired well enough to be indetectable... as far as we're concerned then it has a clear history, no evidence to the contrary (expcet "hearsay" from the forum).

Omega has a 2000 22k mi 550 in slightly worse shape than ours (interior more worn/aged), with an asking price of ~$120k... add that to Henryr saying FOA would be asking $135k for it.... and I still think we got a good deal at <$100k.
    Sure we're putting a little into it with the fuel system repair, and sensor, but since the car was running fine before, not sure how we (or anyone else) would have known about that, and it's still in nearly as-new condition. Can't wait to get it back... Especially with the new exhaust system that Steve at Omega assures us will be "too loud". Sounds just right to me :D

17. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.......too loud, it's a Ferrari, not a luxury car

18. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Exactly... If I want quiet... I'll take the Bentley :D

19. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    bbshriver-
    I commend they way you handled yourself in this thread. First by stating "My dad bought a 550". Others have said "I bought", when it turns out their father actually bought the car. Secondly how you handled TifosiF1 comments. You are an asset to F-Chat.

Famous last words.

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Congrats. Glad it's turning out well.

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

+1. Nice to see some good old fashioned honesty from a young-un.

As to TifosiF1, let's just hope he's learning from his brief Time Out.

DM

22. Rennphile

Rennphile Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Colorado

Agreed. I look forward to reading more posts from BBS in the future.

23. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments... I'm just a crazy car guy, with not nearly enough $$$ to fund my dreams... working on that though :D

Fortunately my dad ended up with enough to fund his dreams, so I get to tag along. Might actually be flying back to Florida again this weekend (3 straight!) to pick the car up from Omega as dad will be off in France...

I too am glad to see there are some normal/reasonable people on here... Earlier in this thread I was getting pretty soured on Fchat..

24. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    bbshriver, I've read through this thread, and sorry you had some trouble. I know Ali, I've bought several vintage 911's from him, and a couple other classics. I see him a couple times a month, and have known him for several years. I've never had an issue with a car I bought from him, and have always known what I was buying.

You bought a used car, albeit a complex, expensive one. Have you tried calling him and letting him know your concerns with the 550? I'm sure he'll work it out with you if there's a major issue. He's a stand up guy. You should try and then 'chat' about it here.

BTW I bought a Ferrari in Naples last weekend, and on the drive back the starter went out...but those are the breaks.

Best regards,
    Neal Caudle

25. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Dad sent him an e-mail, but haven't heard back yet.
    The car is STILL in the shop. Apparently the guys making fuel pumps want to teach us patience.

As far as we've seen there was no shady business going on with this car... It ran fine when we picked it up, and under that circumstance I'm not sure what kind of PPI you could do to find that the rubber on the fuel pumps was degraded... I don't think too many PPI dissassemble the car and inspect every part.

Anyway, I'm going to be back in Florida again this weekend so I will at least go see it and see what's up. Wish it was going to be DONE though. Will be back in Fla March 7-9 for the AI concours so hopefully he'll have fuel pumps by then.