torn metal screen on airflow sensor | FerrariChat

torn metal screen on airflow sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by davebdave, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #1 davebdave, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,
    This is a screen on the intake of one airflow sensor for our Mondial t. There is also an identical screen on the exit of the sensor.
    Does anyone know where I can get a new screen (Ferrari will only sell the whole sensor for $1000)?
    Should I try and solder it together?
    Would it be a good idea to move the good screen from the exit to the entry point and leave off the screen at the exit?
    Do I really need it at all?
    Thanks, dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    This I would assume would need to be your decision. I know on other high performance cars I had removed the screens to improve air flow. As you are aware the screen is there to protect the wire from being damaged while handling. Provided you have a good air filter there is no need to have the screen. So you could go to a Home Depot type store and buy metal screening and uncrimp the old screen and repair it or you couls do as you said and move the rear screen to the front or you could remove the screen completely. I have remove them on my Corvette's , and Jags. With those I had to cut the screen away as they were molded in the sensor.

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    thanks, I wasn't exactly sure of their purpose, but I suspected they were there to protect the sensor.
    Sounds to me like all four screens have to go.
    Thanks, dave

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I removed all 4 screens from my 2 MAFs some three years ago. Driven daily. No problems.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Yep yep. The metal screen is there to protect the hot wire from being damaged if something large makes it through the airfilter. :D:D

Highly unlikely.......... ;);)

I wouldnt worry too much about it mate. :):)

6. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    On most cars, you can remove the screen to try to remove intake restrictions. On some cars (Audi in particular) the screen is required. The screen actually does two functions: 1 - protect the MAF sensor, and 2 - create laminar air flow across the sensor (especially critical for the flow-through type sensors as opposed to sensors that slow airflow by creating a pathway for air past the sensor.) It seems the consensus (thus far) is that it will not hurt to have it removed.

BTW, I would not re-use that screen unless repaired. Or, if you end-up needing that screen, move the rear screen to in-front of the sensor (assuming that the rear screen is not torn) and run without the rear screen. You don't want that screen to come apart and get sucked into your engine.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1!! :):)

8. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I have boxes of various used European car Bosch a/flow meters, but not Ferrari. If you want to measure the diameter, I would be happy to see if anything measures the same. I believe the laminar flow relates to the later screens which are more three dimensional. Could be wrong of course, I am at least once every day.
    Cheers,
    Tom B.

9. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
  10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #10 davebdave, Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks the screen diameter is 2 7/16 inches. But, I think I will try to run without them. Above, "No Doubt" said he has not had any trouble without them on his 348. I would assume he has a similar setup to the t. Here is the inside of the MAF.

Thanks to all,
    Dave

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Dave if really want to replace it I have some extras around from my 348 and 355, had 30,000 on the 348 and 20000 on the 355 with out the screens. Have not had any problem since 1996. Sometimes piece of mine is worth a lot so PM me with your address and I'll send you one if you want it. Regards, Vern

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep, Don't "Mesh" with it anymore.:D

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Ouch!! lol

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and removed all four screens. I am in the process of bleeding the cooling system so I haven't had a chance to drop the hammer yet, but I am looking forward to an extra horsepower or two.
    What else can I take out to make it go faster???
    Dave

14. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    #14 F512M, Oct 10, 2008
    I had my air box off the car to replace a hose that split and I decided to clean the screens and look at everything before reinstalling. I found a lot of melted plastic caught in these screens on the air box side. These pieces of melted plastic must have come from my cut off valve (#8 in diagram)that melted last year due to a failed non return valve (#4 in diagram). If the screens had been removed these plastic shards would have been sucked into my engine... I have the stock Ferrari air filter, and everything else is stock too.

If you have this same failure without the screens in place you could be putting yourself, and your motor, at risk. Just my $.02

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks!

Note to self: cap off #4 1-way valves!

16. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    LOL... Yes, That would elininate this issue... :)

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I thought this looked strange, so I just checked on my own car. Yes indeedy, the air flow from the damaged cut-off valve can go straight to the MAF screen without passing through the air filter. Under normal circumstances, that wouldn't be a problem. If the valve is falling apart, it's a good thing that screen is there to protect the engine.

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    In that case we can disconnect tube #9 from the air filter box to eliminate the danger. Unfiltered air going into #4 either way.

No, wait...

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    No, filtered air goes into valve #4 when the system is working correctly (air injection into the exhaust manifold). It's only when valve #4 fails that exhaust pulses go in the "wrong" direction to valve #8 and melt it, and the pieces can then pass through the chamber ABOVE the filter and into the MAF screen.

20. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why not hook #4 to the other side of the airfilter? Better yet, just remove all parts numbered 1-14 and solve even more problems.

21. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    So moral of the story is....keep the screens on or it could cost you $$$$$ down the road...

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Wow! Interesting!! :):)