...the only one! | FerrariChat

...the only one!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Feb 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #1 wbaeumer, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Before Zagato produced the beautiful Coupé on the A6G-2000-chassis they also made one Spyder (s/n 2101). This car was believed to be lost but turned up to light again about 5 years ago. It underwent a complete restoration in the typical US-"Show"-style (chromed Borrani-wheels and radiator grill! Maserati never had that with the Zagatos. It was always poloshed alloy!) and was shows in Pebble-B.

This photos of the car I found on the Internet. Please note the rev-counter and speedo on BOTH sides! Not the prettiest of the Maserat-Spydersi but a very special car from Modena.

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Is this the same car pictured in the paneled basement room in the Crump book Maserati Road cars.

3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Neat car. Interesting to see what they did around the base of the windshield. Also the stitching along the doors is an unusual - but not unique - feature.

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Now that is a STUNNING color.

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I agree, and that car is in stunning condition. :)

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Walter: I took a very close look at another picture of the instrument panel on this car, and from left to right, they are:

Multi-gauge (oil, fuel, temp), tachometer, speedometer, clock.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Then its even more excentric!
    Ciao!
    Walter

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    But -as I mentioned before- not correctly restored in the detailing! Its a Pebble-"Queen"!

Ciao!
    Walter

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, its the same car. I have this photo and its in color. At that time the car was painted in red. Originally it came very close to the color it has today.

Ciao!
    Walter

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Those bumpers "look wrong". I don't mean that their not correct just, well, odd.

Bob S.

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #11 wbaeumer, Feb 21, 2008
    Agree! But the style of them was correctly dupicated. Mistake was the they where more round on both ends. Here a photo from the late 50ies of the car when it was in France.

Ciao!
    Walter

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    drop dead gorgeous!

13. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #13 Boudewijn, Feb 21, 2008
  14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep! The radiator cowl -and the cubistic Trident- came later on the Zagato Coupé #2102. Then this strange looking Trident was fitted on the Zagato that propably is #2113. The Italians loved to spread around the results of their craftsmanship when it wasn`t liked by an owner of a car.

Ciao!
    Walter

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Also changed was the hood design and the air-outlets that came in both front fenders. Although the earlier to the later version did not have a frame for the front screen.
    All this was modifications where comissioned by Juan Peron, Presidente of Argentina, who purchased the car after the Geneva Show.Actually he never received it. The car was later -and modified!- sold to an US-pilot in France.

Ciao!
    Walter

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Walter your statement confuses me. The bumpers in this picture appear to indeed be more rounded so then you mant they were NOT correctly duplicated?

If so that certainly explains why the car now looks like it's supposed to be used for pushing disabled vehicles with that utilitarian style bumper.
    Now that I see the original I have to say that this is a terrible mistake. The original bumpers have a gentle artful arc profile. The current ones look like they're straight. The car would look so much more attractive if it were fixed.

Bob S.

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Bob, this is what I said. The bumpers design of the bumpers are correct today - but they missed it to get the complete unit more round on both ends. Today it looks rather bulky!

Ciao!
    Walter

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Walter,

Maybe it's a language issue. To me the ones in your old photo "appear" to have an arc along the full length of the bumper whereas the new ones seem like the bumper is almost
    straight. I do like the later hood treatment , side vents and trident better. They seem more fitting on that pudgy bath tub shaped body than that very avant garde trident and plain jane hood. The rear bumper is ugly.

Bob S.

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #19 GIOTTO, Feb 22, 2008
  20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Bob, I am sure we both mean the same thing. With the later version I find the trident-logo too big. I assume the whole thing was done by Sagato in big haste! I found much elements of their overal body design with an Alfa that was only produced in very low numbers. In particular the rear end looks much like the Alfa (don`t ask me about that type - I am not an Alfa-expert)!

In gerneral #2101 is somewhat a strange car!

Ciao!
    Walter

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Giotto, very good photo that clearly shows the early front-grill and screen. Definitely Zagato not at its best!

Ciao!
    Walter