BMC/K&N air filters for 550 | FerrariChat

BMC/K&N air filters for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bbshriver, Feb 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Ok, I did a search on this topic and i know it's been (almost) discussed to death before, but I have a few more questions.
    People using BMC filters, are you using a rectangular filter element in the Ferrari airboxes, or replacing the whole airbox with a conical type filter? On BMC's website they were showing a conical type filter and no airbox, which it would seem to me would be counterproductive to the "ram-air" effect from the hoodscoop as well as pulling in hotter/less dense air from the engine bay rather than outside.

Has anyone experienced problems from K&N filters oil fouling the MAF?

I really want to use the new Amsoil Ea filter, as it shows big air-flow gains over the paper type filters but has similar filtering capability/capacity. Using a new synthetic microfiber media versus oil/gauze or paper, but unfortunately they don't seem to offer it for the Ferrari (I cross-referenced from the K&N part number..). Does anyone know the size of the filter element in the 550? I'm in PA and the car is in FL, so I can't go check easily.

Also, I was reading that the 575 has bigger/better air boxes... has anyone installed these in a 550?