Adapters to make universal CAT's bolt in | FerrariChat

Adapters to make universal CAT's bolt in

Discussion in '308/328' started by luckydynes, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #1 luckydynes, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all,

Finally got 'round to installing CAT's on 308 #2. I found a CAT that's the perfect length and width and even has the air tube injection port should I need it. Made these adapters which will allow them to bolt in to the stock exhaust (I think . .. this car has ANSA muffler but I think the donuts and flanges are stock Ferrari size & location).

Sean
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  3. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    So, how much cost is involved for you to make more of the adapters? Would it be financially feasible to purchase the adapters and "generic" cats from you versus getting OEMs, or hyperflows, or (something else) ?

Just curious because some of us are not mechanically inclined but still want to save $$$ if possible.

Oh, and what year/engine/car is this for?

James in Denver

4. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Nice mil work!! I went with Magna Flow Cats. Their performance is simiular to Hyper-flow at more than half the cost of one hyper-flow; and the price included installation - (1978 8 3.0L UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER 94006 $175.08) You can find them at http://www.car-sound.com/00home.asp

Dan

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

I'd have to think about what I'd charge for the adapters . .. group buy would help . .. what are they worth? Generic CAT's from Summit like Magnaflow (which is what these are) etc. are like $60/pc FYI.

Dan . .. how did they adapt the new CAT's to the stock flange? Years ago when I had CAT's put on car #1 shop just cut off the stock donuts/flanges and put on their own "standard" pieces . . . not sure I like that but he did put a Flowmaster muffler on there also which I love. Anyway wanted to make sure these CAT's would work without cutting the flanges on the expensive muffler PO put on.

This car is an 82 308 2Vi US version.

Sean

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not in any way knocking the work (fabulous, as always), but why not just get some old used-up Ferari cats and chop the ends off of it, weld it onto the new cat? Maybe a lack of source Ferrari cats?

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

In my case take longer to find the CAT's than make the parts :) The stock units neck down quite a bit on the outlet side also. I machined the new flanges to fit nice and snug on the new CAT so that there'd be no fixturing/alignment issues when welding them on . .. speaking from a person's perspective who has made LOTS of "stuff", welding the ends on is only 10% of the work . .. getting them in the right place is 90%.

Not to mention I bet a guy would want more for a used CAT than I could make the flanges for . .. old CAT's off this car will be used for "test pipes".

Sean

8. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    This is exactly what I did, using the dead cats being taken off the car as the donors. So if you have the old ones,
    it's a good way to go, but being careful to replicate the correct dimensions and flange orientation, of course.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    luckydynes, if you are for group buy, I'll take two adaptors please.

I'm going to try and fabricate my own test tipe. Thanks.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm interested in a group buy too. But I think we would need 4 of them each (2 cats!)

Birdman

12. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #12 luckydynes, Feb 17, 2008
    Got 'r done yesterday but not without drama.

I realized the weld was going to cause some inteference with the bolt heads, so I was going to tap the flanges, but then realized on the inlet side the bolts have to go thru from the CAT side.

So, the inlet side flanges have thru holes and accomodate 2" donuts and the outlet flanges are tapped and accomodate 1.75" donuts. The other thing that thru me a curve was the o.d. of the pipe on the CAT's was like 2.2" . .. not sure if these are 2" CAT's or actually 2.25" . . 2" would be better 'cause it would give more room for the weld and the factory spring setup on the bolts (there's no room for the washer/spring because of the weld . .. . a small TIG weld or some grinding would have done the trick though).

Anyway just trying to explain EVERYTHING before I make a batch. Will double check the P/N on thiese CAT's to see if it is in fact 2" or 2.25" also.

Is it clear what I'm explaining about the possible weld inteference?

Sean

13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sean It's very clear but not a major nproblem. That interference of the weld could be girnded flat or

instead of using the hex type bolt why not use the allen head type, it's smaller uses less surface and it's rounded.

14. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Just wanted to be clear in case someone wanted the stock spring/bolt setup which is still achievable with some grinding/small welds/brazing.

Only thing I still need to do is confirm the part number of the CAT's they'll work with.

Sean

15. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOW.... I'm proud when I change the oil....

Nice work

16. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Thanks.

They are 2" CAT's I used .. . if there was enough of 'em (like 35 sets/17 cars with 2 CAT's) probably be $25/flange . . . $50/CAT. I'd be okay sitting on a few of them. If it's only a few people probably be more like $50/flange.

Now to get this baby thru smog :)

Sean

17. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Sean,

I went pretty much the same route as you. The shop had adapters that fit the 308 headers. I also went with a Flowmaster muffler that was fitted to the CAT's and to the headers. The Flowmaster was spring loaded attached to the frame of the car. I will take a picture and post it here.

Dan

18. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    #18 mksu19, Feb 20, 2008

Documented step by step procedure! Its easy, no muss, no fuss CATS!

:D

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Damn I miss my lathe and my mill

20. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    She passed smog today . .. easily!!!!!!

21. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats! It should without a doubt:)

22. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I was concerned 'cause the last time she was registered was '99 . .. the dipstick has rust half way up it :(.

Cam belts were done in 2006 along with a bunch of other knick knacks (brand new rotors, pads, stainless brake lines, interior, tires,paint :)).

Looks like someone was in the engine at one time also . . . did I mention 138K miles? :) Maybe one of the higher mileage examples around.