Are Porsche's Better Made Than Ferrari's? | FerrariChat

Are Porsche's Better Made Than Ferrari's?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 512Tea Are, Feb 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

I have never possessed a Porker Pie, and no doubt Steve f has eaten many, but are they really better then the Ferrari's? For example, I understand that they make a four wheel drive model what's this like, is this better than a Ferrari?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

2. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I think Ferrari since the 360 have achieved a much higher build quality, and I think they can be used fairly vigourously without any major issues.I am on my third 360 and have encountered little or no problems, only suffering one breakdown across the 3 cars.

The biggest problem with Ferrari is this bloody fear of anything over 20,000 miles, its ridiculous. For example, the Porsche I have purchased is a 50,000 mile 1999 car, and this is fairly low, 80000 mile cars are common place.

3. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Hazy,

Yes, I agree completely. It is quite bizarre how the Ferrari marque is so sensitive to mileage. This very fear of mileage actually deters many owners from enjoying something that they acquired essentially for the pursuit of pleasure, and yet they dare not use it. It is all so very different with Porsche. Perhaps I shall acquire such a motor car one day. What would you suggest good comrade Hazy? Whoops, what have I said? Will I become excommunicated from the Ferrari Club for such an utterance?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

4. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    wouldn't a 80k ferrari modena be essentially MORE reliable than a 8k mil car? as long as all maintenance is kept up the car should be spades no? broken in and running right?

I never understood the fascination w/ mileage.. friend of mine bought a 355 w/ 10k miles.. and it had ghastly issues.. another pal bought one with 40k miles and owned it for years (still does I think) no problems..

so in the end.. does it even MATTER the mileage? more matters the condition..

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    Sorry to say this but old porsches (pre 1996) are better than the new ones

6. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    same can probably be said for Mercedes too.... hey ho, I'm happy enough with my collection of cars now anyways :)

7. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Surely this is because Ferrari owners are sensitive souls and very much aware of environmental issues, particularly the dangers posed by the creation of greenhouse gases! ;)

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No. 996 was horrible and my 997 is on par with the Stradale /360's .

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    best porsche was the old 3.2 carrera with g50 gearbox or 3.3 turbo 5 speed new ones just look crap unless they are kitted up with gt2/gt3 aero kits

10. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Agree on the kits completely, but Cabs just dont look right somehow, from the same garage I couldve brough an identical cab, year newer, with factory sat nav (now 8 years out of date so crap according to the Porsche boys) and a GT3 kit and wheels. Somehow, it just didnt look quite right and it was £4k more, so I plumped for the standard car, top end double din Kenwood sat nav/dvd/phone unit being fitted next week, thats all the car needs IMO.

Oh, Andrew, 997 on par with a Strad???? No way mate, the noise of the Strad sets it aside from ANYTHING IMO,but I would love to drive a 997 GT3, they look epic, esp. in Viper green. :)

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    nooooooo lol , i meant on par with the fit and finish..Nothing touches the Strad !

12. johnish

johnish Karting

Jun 21, 2004
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Isherwood

I've got a 1987 3.2 Carrera with a G50 box and a rebuilt engine. Its done just 100,000 miles. I've also got a 1992 Mondial t that's done 48,000 miles. They provide very different driving pleasures. They are both beautiful to drive, but the Porsche is more raw, it's more seat of the pants driving.

The build quality is the about the same. The Porsche had more rust when we got it, which has now been rectified. The Mondial t is just starting to show a bit of rust. It's now with Alsaa having this removed.

We don't need two cars, but I can't get rid of either, as they are both wonderful drivers cars.

Answer, they are both as good as the other, but for different reasons.

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 2 pence worth, The 911(993) model, best porsche ever built IMO, carved out of a bullet..

14. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    phew, I was worried there for a second :D:D:D

15. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Yes they are.

16. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam

In what way mate??

17. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Fit, finish, quality of materials, and the way they drive they just have this german carved out of rock feel. my current car is a 360 spider and previously had a 355 spider, and they could never compare in quality to my old 996 turbo, 996 carrera 4s, or even boxster. Ferraris, look great, sound great, and would be my first choice if i had to choose between a porsche or the ferrari but its not because the drive or quality is better it's just because of the badge and the ferrari magic. I know i'm gonna get destroyed on here for what i have just posted, but this is my personal opinion, and i'm not biassed in anyway towards either brand, i have owned both. In my opinion the best car in the world has a 3 pointed star on the bonnet, yes i'm a mercedes man before anything else.

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 996 has horrible finish and choice of material. I agree the 355 wasnt the best but the 360 is better finished than a 996 IMO.

19. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree the 996 unless you spent big bucks on the interior trim is crap, but in fairness a cheaper car to buy, so you get what you pay for I suppose.

20. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Porkers are great car Gray :D:D

21. Nineleven

Nineleven Rookie

Feb 27, 2008
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Jörgen Sandell
    Hi there! The same discussions as we have in Sweden on the Porscheforum. Porsche VS Ferrari. It's an endless thread...

Now, i own a 993 C4S -97 and the quality of this car is very good. Driving to tracks, then drive on tracks and then home is never a problem.

I've always thougt of Ferrari as "unreachable" for me, not to buy but to own. The cambelt services every other year and so on, i love how the car looks, sounds! But until now i always thougt that i can't afford it.

But..you only live once. And the Ferrari is a dreamcar that i one day must own. Maybe the wait won't be that long.

Yesterday a friend of mine found a 355 Gtb in the UK, it's left hand drive and on the paper a car i actually would like to buy. But then again, how expensive will it be to run? Where can i go with the car for a checking of the engine before a eventually decide. There's many questions and i'm glad for every input of the most common errors on the 355 Gtb 1997.

Regards
    /Jörgen