308 AC expansion valve | FerrariChat

308 AC expansion valve

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steve King, Feb 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Does anyone have a substitute part number for the AC expansion valve. Also can you clean the existing expansion valve with AC flush. Thanks

2. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Do a search, there is a cross reference for the valve. Should be able to get one for under $30.00

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I think there is a NAPA number somewhere on here. Fits a Volvo IIRC.

Dave

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just took mine in and they rattled around in back and matched it up by configuration.

Never had much luck cleaning them and with the cost of coolant, I'd just get a new one...

5. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    I'm doing an AC conversion on my 308 this winter, and I was able to go into my local NAPA and match up the exansion valve. Ask the counter guy to browse through the magical AC parts catalog that they use and you should be able to find it on one of the many pages of valves. The accumulator/dryer is also in that book as well. I would provide you part numbers, but I can't seem to locate my paperwork...DOH. Sorry.

There is a lot of talk on this board about ACs and how crappy they they are, and it seems like these conversations rarely talk about the expansion valve being replaced during an overhaul or conversion. This is such a critical part in creating the pressure differntial which then produces "coldness" in an automotive AC system and to me...a no brainer to replace. Plus, doesn't R-134a need a higher differential pressure to crate an equivalent level of performance to R12? And don't modern expansion valves take this into consideration?

While we are on this subject here, I have some AC questions myself. Does anyone know what is in that "flush solvent"? I have read that some people use "isopropyl alcohol" or "denatured alcohol" instead of using the flush solvents and claim to get better results.?.? Lastly, has anyone come up with a workable fan upgrade solution for getting more airflow through the vents into the cabin?

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Kevin that has been the problem in doing the searches. No one has listed the part numbers and some of the ones I saw were not even close when I looked at the parts. So if you could please find the part numbers I think we will all be thankfull.

7. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mods delete if inappropiate:

I have a source & I am waiting for a call back, as he is checking on the availibility of screens for the expansion valve. I will let you know my progress on part numbers & availability...

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
  9. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    On my 1980 308 I used:
    Murry expansion valve # 38683
    Murry filter dryer # 33255
    I used Interdynamics Auto Air Conditioner Flush and Clean
    I used a funnel to get the flush in and forced it through the system with nitrogen.
    Also I stayed with R-12, I hope this helps.

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Thank You Walter.

11. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    Ok, I found my paperwork and the expansion valve that I purchased is made by "Four Seasons" and although a different manufacturer than listed by WaltP, the part numbers are the same (38683). A quick net-search actually revealed that Rockauto.com sells this expansion valve for much less than I paid for it, and at ONLY $15.94....its just a no-brainer to replace.

To find it at rockauto.com....go there and click the "Part Number Search" tab --> Enter "38683" in the "Part Number" box and select "Heat & Air Conditioning" from the "Part Group" drop-down box. Click "Search" and it will be the only item listed.

If you want to see the picture of the valve, here is a link to the product photo:
    http://info.rockauto.com/FourSeasons/FourSeasonsDetail.html?38683.jpg

12. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    On my AC rebuild, I had it converted to R-134. Some different components (from R12 are essential. It seems to blow cold just fine. But I'm in So. Cal, not in a southeastern state.

I could use more air flow though. Let us know if there is a fan/blower mod/upgrade.

13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Kevin , Thanks a lot.

14. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    You're more than welcome!