Help! 308 QV Dead At the Gas Pump! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help! 308 QV Dead At the Gas Pump!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Andrew Bolton, Feb 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    +1 Were getting quizzed about this on friday! :D

2. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    If it is turning over normally, then you need to do two things:

1) Spray starter fluid (or gas) directly into carb while someone attempts to start it. If it starts or sputters, you have a fuel delivery problem.

If test #1 does not result in it starting or sputtering, you have no spark, try test #2.

2) Remove spark plug wire from plug and hold near ground while someone turns it over. If you see an arching spark, you have spark. If not, you have spark problem.

3. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have you figured anything out yet with the problem?

4. tifosi013

tifosi013 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2005
    Fresno, Cal.
    Full Name:
    Larry Powell
    I recently had a similar experience with my '83 QV Mondial. I had driven about 25 miles, stopped at my local
    Shell station and topped off the tank. The car was off less than five minutes. It cranked normally, but would
    not start. I tried for over an hour, finally having AAA bring the "stretcher" and take the car home.

Two days later, I looked at the wiring, fuses, relays, coils, battery terminals and emergency master switch.
    All looked O.K. with no anomalies found. I reassembled everything after cleaning the pieces with contact
    cleaner.

I cranked the engine, which started normally and settled down to a fast idle. I never had the problem before
    and haven't since. However, my confidence in the Ferrari is somewhat reduced, especially since no probable
    cause was located.

It was a Shell station, but I doubt that had any bearing. I don't know if there could be a problem brewing
    with 15% ethanol being blended in gasoline in lieu of MTBE in California and elsewhere. The Bosch F.I.
    system may not be "happy" about ethanol and the way it vaporizes when hot. Back in the '70's carburetors
    sure didn't like ethanol or methanol which were both used in gasoline sold as "gasohol".

I also fly. I know the Feds have warned that aircraft owners using an autogas STC should not use ethanol
    blended fuel. Their rubber fuel lines, seals and "o"-rings are not likely to be compatible with ethanol, especially
    in older aircraft.

5. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Probably why it started up again!

6. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm not sure if the Mondial is the same as the 328 but did you look at the connector in the panel underneth the passenger footwell?