Advice on a daily driver--Bentley GTC/GT? | FerrariChat

Advice on a daily driver--Bentley GTC/GT?

Discussion in 'British' started by glasslipper, Feb 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glasslipper

glasslipper Karting

Jun 7, 2006
    Tarzana,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Dennis L
    Anyone have experience with either Bentley vehicle? I'm looking to replace my Mercedes CLS with a Bentley GTC as my daily driver. Since my two kids are still small, the modest rear seat leg room will be not a major factor. Of prime importance is reliability, build quality,ease of maintainance and cost, and driving experience satisfaction. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I didnt realize Ferrari owned Bentley

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, seeing as we're in the Ferrari Discussion section, I'd have to say the 612 is the way to go (lightly used, it's probably near the Bentley range) if you need four seats and a good boot.

Personally I think the 550/575 is a great daily driver, if you can swing the service costs.

4. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Also the Maserati GT is fairly roomy in the back seat and is at a much more attractive price point. IMO it is a much nicer looking car then the B GT.

5. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I fixed that for you, thank me later

6. mpartridgeferrari

Feb 14, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Full Name:
    MIKE
    in my opinion the gtc looks fantastic with the top down, however with the top up it is not to desireable to look at. i would go with the gt, also it will cost less, find a good used one they are well down into the $100k with single digit miles.

7. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    The Conti GT is a nice car, but if you are willing to spend the money and want a more engaging drive and a more unique car, look at the 612 Scaglietti. Unlike the two-seat FCars you can get a new 612 quickly. It's faster than the Conti GT and weighs significantly less while having just as much interior room. Plus, I'm told that handling is exceptional for a car of its size.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Plus it's a handsomer car.

And it's a Ferrari. ;)

9. Edward S

Edward S Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    La Canada, Ca
    Full Name:
    Edward S
    I went from a CL55 to the GT back 4 yrs ago and have enjoyed the Bentley quite a bit and have not had any issues to complain about and maintainance cost is relativley low, only after the 30k serv it gets up there. As for the driving experience it has torque and very smooth even in the 150mph range, you can adjust the stiffness of the susp. Pm me if you have any other questions.

10. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    much better...thanks

11. k-diddy

k-diddy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2004
    The main thing you will notice is that the cars wheel feels much heavier than the Benz. As for the kids there is lots of room for them but the front seats move very slow. Great car to drive everyday.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    We've had both the GT and the GTC, no complaints at all, would recommend them. Build quality seems excellent, and I've enjoyed driving the cars - heavy, but loads of power.

13. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

its over twice a much $

14. ferrariredered

ferrariredered Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Alb. New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What about a Maserati Quattroporte, The car is sort of like a Ferrari but with 4 doors.

15. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    We looked fairly extensively at a GTC as a daily for my mom. Test drove a GT coupe. They do have good aceleration, and if you have widely fluctuating weather the AWD would be a nice touch. Compared to our 99 550 Maranello, the interior puts Ferrari absolutely to shame. Rear seat leg room was also sufficient for me (5'-6" 200lb), not for long journeys, but not uncomfortable. Sounds good, and has a very nice finished look to everything.
    Our dealer did indicate that service cost on the Continental series are much higher than for the Arnage series (incl. Azure/brooklands) due to the extreme tight fit of the engine. Said they basically have to remove the whole front of the car to access anything.
    If you don't need the AWD, and speed however, I would suggest you look at a slightly used Azure instead. New the GTC starts around $200k, and the Azure starts around $330k, though a couple of years old they are probably comparable price. We bought our 2005 Arnage with 3 year factory extended warranty for less than the dealer was asking for their 2004 Conti GT coupe.
    I don't have any experience with the Azure, but as far as I'm aware it is basically a convertible Arnage. If you compare the two you will see why there is a $130k price difference when new. For instance the radiator grille on the GTC is chromed plastic. On the Arnage it is stainless steel. The a/c vents in the GTC likewise are plastic, in the Arnage they are chrome plated brass. Everything is finished to a much higher level, and makes the Conti series seem cheap by comparison (and any other car I've come around).

We have had no reliability or maintenance issues with our Arnage in about 8 months/10k miles since we purchased it. Plus like I said our dealer indicated that the Arnage style cars have lower running costs than the GT due to packaging issues. Also the W engine is much more complicated than the V8 which Bentley has been using since 1959 (in various forms). The Conti is faster, but when you ride the wave of 600+lb ft in a 6000 lb car... you grin :D

16. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

well put!!

17. rafo

rafo Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    CA
    Almost 30k miles on my flying spur in two years. Without question, my favorite daily driver. Car is heavy and with the AWD you feel like it is a solid tank and a very safe car. You can drive it anywhere, maintenance is nothing, and very reliable compared to its peers. As for GT vs GTC, personally, i do not like convertibles for daily drivers .. but thats just me

As for comparing to a Ferrari, you cant compare. Ferrari are great sports cars; the bentley is not in the same category. Dont get a 612. Get a bentley and if you want to have fun, a 599 or 430. I have never put 30k mile on a Ferrari in two years either. After a 100 mile trip in a Ferrari, you cant wait to stop and stretch your legs. In the Bentley, you cant wait to hit the road again. Serve difference purposes.. so yes, for daily driver, go for it

18. bbshriver

bbshriver Karting

Feb 11, 2008
    Sounds like you enjoy your spur. They really are wonderful cars, and you can't argue with the performance, and AWD. My comments were just regarding the 2 side by side. The Conti is an amazing car, the Arnage series is just that plus some. But sometimes MORE isn't what everyone wants. Driving around in an Arnage or an Azure people are going to notice you. I'm sure the same is true of a Conti, but they are toned down a little.

I definitely agree though that when someone is asking about a Bentley saying "buy a Ferrari" isn't particulary productive. It's not even comparing apples to oranges... at least those are both round fruit. It's more like... well... comparing a Ferrari to a Bentley. I've driven both, and there's really no useful way to compare them. so why bother.