308 carb, engine cutoff | FerrariChat

308 carb, engine cutoff

Discussion in '308/328' started by reuven, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. reuven

reuven Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Israel
    Hi,
    At about 6500 rpm the engine starts to misfire like cutoff.
    I have the original ignition system with the points (2 distributors).

My feeling is that it is something with the ignition system but it also might be fuel shortage.

Any suggestiones?

Thanks,
    Reuven

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pull the choke on at 6k rpm to richen the mixture & see what happens.

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The points may be getting old. It's best to replace them and make sure the dwell is to spec. THe owners manual specifies the gap to be .012-.015", but keep in mind that dwell is the important measurement here and the gap recommended is not always the same when the dwell is set correctly. For instance, the dwell was appropriately set for my front distributor points, but the gap measured to be about .007". Good luck.

4. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    J.S.
    I beg to differ. I have seen many more instances where dwell was given priority over point gap and bad things happened. The idea behind dwell's importance is making sure the points are closed enough to saturate the coil. On a 4 cyl dist., as opposed to an 8 for example, it's reasonable to think the points will be closed long enough even if the dwell is not to spec. What I have seen is when there is too little point gap, when the dist. shaft starts wobbling around at speed, the points don't open enough for a clean break. They start to arc and the spark gets real sloppy. I should have known better, but at extemely high cost I paid the local Ferrari gurus to redo the dists. on my 308. I had bought it with the motor disassembled, so a lot of prior ills caused trouble when I finally got it together. I spent way too long trying to get it to run right before I discovered the points were adjusted with too little gap on one dist.. Make sure they open, make sure they close, and you will be OK.
    Back in the days of points I would see this on a regular basis.
    Just my opinion of course.

Reuven: the last piece of the puzzle on mine was plug wires. They looked fine, and I only replaced them when I went to a single distributor, but they solved a lot of trouble.
    Cheers,
    Tom B.