Small meet up | FerrariChat

Small meet up

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Pav, Feb 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Im in AD right now. Damn if I had know Baki and co were meeting up I would have come earlier.

Thanks for the pics. Ace quality as usual.

2. DubaiRich

DubaiRich Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    Nice gathering!!! Will be checking in more often so I won't miss the next meet.

3. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Seems like a fun get together :), thanks for sharing

4. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Looks great! nice to see an Aston in the mix.

5. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Nice shots.

6. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Great Pics!

7. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    Pav,

Those are really great shots you took! What Camera/setup are you using?

8. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Pictures are from my friend Abdallah... he has a D70... i'll post the full setup tonite.

9. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pav, im not firmiliar with the middle-east... How is the living over in Dubai? Weather and property value? I know ithe cost of living is high, but compare it to a state-side city. What is a "big home" selling for in Dubai?

Thanks for entertaining an ignorant mind!

-J

10. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Jon,

I know the question was for Pav, and he may be the best person to answer it, but I've lived here for 17 years now, and here' my 2 cents worth...

Living in Dubai, especially right now, is difficult unless you have a very good job, making very good money... but that is true almost anywhere in the Middle East (I'm in Kuwait). The weather takes some getting used to... in the summer, it's not unusual to see temps in the mid-to-high 130s, and higher. That, hand-in-hand with nearly 100% humidity, makes for a rough summer. The winter is nice, 60s and 70s for a while, then before you know it, back into the 80s, 90s, and then by May, 100s until October. Property is a whole 'nother ball of wax... the price of property has sky-rocketed in the last two years, and it is practically out of reach for most. In Kuwait, only Kuwaitis can own property, but it's difficult even for many of them to justify paying the current prices. In Dubai, there is 'reasonable' priced property, but it is difficult to find. Traffic in Dubai, with the street closures caused by the building of the new subway system, is a real mess...

I don't know what a 'big' home in Dubai would cost, but in Kuwait, I live in an 'average' sized home (7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, plus large living and dining areas and a very large kitchen), and homes this size rent for just over USD$5,000 per month. Many people live in smaller apartments, but even apartment rent has risen dramatically recently. A good friend of mine (Kuwaiti) is looking to buy a home for his young family, and the cheapest he has found so far is equivalent to USD$600,000, for a relatively small home.

Living here is exactly what you make of it...my family and I do fine...we're good neighbors, don't drink (unless we go to Bahrain, Dubai, Oman or Qatar where it's legal), and generally just mind our own business. We avoid political and religious discussions whenever possible, and try to be good ambassadors for the US, recognizing always that we are the 'guests' or 'visitors' in another country with a different culture, and a different set of values.

Living here is fine for some, and absolute crap for others....you either can, or you can't... and you really don't know that till you get here...

Mike in Kuwait

11. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Let me begin by saying thank you for your generous response!

It is not my plan to move anytime soon - Im a college student. However for personal reasons my girlfriend and I have taken moving abroad into consideration. Paris and Italy are ranking high on the list. Just havent asked anybody about the middle-east yet. I know its a beautiful area and I would die to spend a month there, but actually LIVING with the heat is something Im not sure if my body is up for.

Thanks for the words!

-J

12. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Keep in mind there's AC practically everywhere you go. Although I never spent a full summer in Dubai, the >7yrs I did live there weren't that bad heat-wise ;) You just learn to deal with it.

13. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    well said mike...i have a friend in Qatar who's been trying to get to go there...not ready yet... probebly for some of the reasons you mentioned ........

14. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    I lived in Dubai for 20 years, I moved out in 2003 it has changed in to a money spinner for the locals. It is great there, but most people arrive with nothing have a great time and leave with nothing. I cannot remember how many times I heard its only five hundred dirhams to see or that, this so with a wife and 2 kids its 2000 dirhams and off they go and have a really great time. every week.

I left with thr ruler and government owing me half a million $, and I left with plenty, but could not get that bit regardless of my correct paperwork.

The streets are paved with gold but few get to pick it up

Mike Collins

15. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Everything was said except that the appartment rentals are a *****. Hard to find something decent for a decent price... You often have to overpay and get used to a one bedroom appartment if you're willing to put under 1.2k$ a month.

16. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Do tell, would be nice to meet up