$13500.00 308 on Ebay | FerrariChat

$13500.00 308 on Ebay

Discussion in '308/328' started by astjr, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    The golden rule is to buy the best 3x8 that you can afford...This one is not that car!! The front seat leather looks very suspect like they have mold or water damage. Every seal, hose and fuel line in/on that motor will need to be replaced. Water pump, alternator rebuilds most likely and the list goes on and on..... Since it's sat for so long I wonder what kind of corrosion is *inside* the motor?

RUN...unless you want to spend some big $$ on a daily driver.

JIM

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, it's an honest description, and a GTB.

4. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "Does not run. This car had been sitting since the late 80's" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    total rebuild time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    buyer beware !

5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    A GTB worth rescuing, and an easy project for a DIY kind of person.

6. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    it's a gts

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ah, you're right. Lack of louvers threw me off.

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    You, sir are quite right and observant.

Please don't take away my man's card for that infraction.

9. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Now the strategy being employed here, of course, is to publicly proclaim that this is a car to run away from, hoping others will, while secretly plotting to buy the car for as little as possible, hope it will not take much to make it run, and then go from there replacing hoses, etc., as a hobby/project. ;)

I'll say it: for someone who does his own work, this might be an excellent fixer-upper project. If I were going after it, I'd drive over there, pull a few spark plugs out, shine a light in there and look for corrosion, spray some Kroil in the cylinders, and see if it turns over. If the inside is clean and it turns over without drama, then you have a project. :) . . . but then, it's currently at about the limit I'd spend on a project.

The seller is handling it admirably -- not a single "which should be an easy fix" lol :D Plenty of sellers would describe that interior as "excellent for its age, with the usual wear on the driver's seat"; seller here honestly calls it "scruffy". :)

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok, as I said on another thread abandoning such a classic car should be the 11th Comandment

Thou shall not abandon classic cars. It is just plain wrong.

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I've been thinking how I would've responded if astjr would've said...."could make a good DIY project" My post would've been totally different......Something like:

"Motor would need to be pulled, all seals replaced, distributors looked over well, carbs rebuilt, seats dealt with, etc.... If you are willing to spend the time and $$ to get it running it could be a good project!" VS. what I actually wrote.

It's interesting to think about

JIM....just thinking out loud.

12. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Right on. We have all kinds of threads about suspension upgrades, big brake kits and engine overhauls. Some done on real nice 40k cars. We repaint nice cars to make them perfect. If that's your thing, why not start with a 13500 dollar car?

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If the pasta maker sold for 18K then this is a steal

14. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I totally agree.

15. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant

I completely agree.
    This would make for an excellent project car. But not over $15,000. At the current price of 13,500, this would be perfect. Honestly, if I had the money right now, I would be making a bid. The engine would come out and gone through. All hoses replaced and while the engine is being looked at, the body work would be taken care of.

I hope someone comes through and rescues this car…….

Jeff

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Great project for person w/ (fair) ability, help from F-chat and a little time.

Some people say buy the best, most documented car...etc....

I say (if you have time/ability) buy a car that is complete, yet is a relative bargin....get the work done/DIY under your ownership so you know it's done right and enjoy the car.

There have been multiple sotries here on F-chat about someone payign a premium $ for a documented/up to date/serviced/etc car... only to have to put an additional $15K into the car w/in 6 months.

There have been stories of guys who buy bargin cars and whose only talent is writing checks and those stories come out pretty sad as well.

OTOH, this car is perfect for a guy who can and/or likes to get his hands dirty, knows his way around cars in general and w/ a little help from the F-chat brother hood could get this car up and running, and in presentable shape for well under $10K.

As such he would have a $23K 308 with up to date service, modern upgrades like brakes, fuse box, etc and could drive the thing guilt free for many years to come......if this car were a GTB, I'd be all over it.

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    For that car, I think it is the same shape as many here that are going in for paint.

Check that the motor turns over by hand and make sure that the valves are not hitting I think it would be a very worth while project.

I think the most expensive part of that whole car would be the interior replacment

18. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari........ sage words! :)

19. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee
    you get what you pay for...........its cheap for a reason!

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If you don't go OEM spec, you can get by rather comfortably...ask me how I know.

Just thorwing out options.

21. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Too bad it wasn't a QV. At that price (even at $15K), it would've been perfect for my "HotRod/Daily Driver" project!

22. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Car in question just sold for $13,750. Hope we get to hear how this all turns out for the new owner.

23. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

I guess it depends on how far from factory spec you are talking about and what comfortably is for you? I had a local shop recover my whole interior but it was all the bits and pieces that ate up my budget (and then some!!).

I bought a running car in about the same shape as this one looks to be, or maybe even slightly better. I can tell you there is no cheap way to do it, at least not if you want the car to be decent. Mine is no show winner and it's far from concours correct but it's looking pretty good.

That said, figure on tripling (or more) the purchase price of this one to get it in great shape.

24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That is a FACT! You can get a lot of the same parts in something other than the yellow box with the horsies on it, and in a few cases better parts for a little less. Seeing as the car is "just a GTS" and not a more rare GTB and is currently in far less than OEM off the showroom floor shape, getting it back running and on the street rather than junked or parted out is worth not having it factory perfect. IF the engine internals are sound, this can be brought back to life relatively cheaply. Can you make it concours ready on a budget? Not really, but you sure can make it worthy of any local show and shine. Could you make a profit? Maybe a tiny one in the short term, but best of all you could have a running Ferrari under your but for less than a new Scion.

This car is a prime candidate for a hands on learning/teaching experiance with the kids. If I was not currently garageless, and the kids were not 2 years old, and two months from birth, this would have been the project for me.