Citizen Watches...Any Good? | FerrariChat

Citizen Watches...Any Good?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by REMIX, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

They intrigue me. Do people consider them crappy and cheap? Total idiotic question, I know, but what would you compare them to?

RMX

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    A little more rugged than a Seiko and a little notch higher I think.....

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Citizen watches are very good for the money.

Solar powered for the most part.
    nearly ZERO problems.

Back in the day (10 years ago) they used to state Citizen watches had less than a 2% return rate (for defects) which was the best in the industry.
    I don't know 'technically' how the return rate has changed since.
    But I can tell you, after selling their watches since 1987, I rarely have a problem with their watches.
    And, the problems that would arrise were from customer neglect to the piece.

Just my .02 cents of 21 years in dealing with them :)

oh, I still sell them, even here on Fchat now :D
    All the new Ad pieces are in stock

4. vicious

vicious Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Noel Johnson
    I own a Caliber 2100 Titanium and love it. Very nice looking and dead reliable. The light weight for it's size is really nice as well.

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Okay, thanks for the comments. So - another newb question here - if they're so well built and reliable, what makes something like a Tag cost so much more? I saw a Tag Monaco the other day and was smitten - but, really, are they worth 8x as much as something like a Citizen Calibre 3100 or Largo?

I do like Citizen's Blue Angel Skyhawk, though. Being a pilot myself, I think they're pretty cool.

RMX

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Next question?

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I got a Citizen as a high school graduation gift. I've replaced the battery twice since then (almost 10 years), and never had a single problem. I don't wear it much anymore, but I think they make great watches for the money. As to why a Tag costs 8 times as much... I'll defer to the real watch guys here, but I suspect its because most are automatic, and by just holding them and looking at them you can tell they're much higher quality. As with anything, as the quality goes up linearly, the price goes up exponentially.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #8 FarmerDave, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My personal favorites. I had one that I wore every day for 7 years, a chronograph, replaced the battery twice, it still looked good. What is so cool about that one is it looked like a regular chronograph movement, but it was also "digital" and when you press one of the chronograph buttons, it would "magically" advance the hour and minute hand forward or backward one hour. It was like Christmas time every time I crossed a time zone and had to adjust my watch :D

I wanted a change so I got another Citizen.

My "new" one is an Eco Drive, and a true "perpetual calendar." I've never had to change the date since day one, and it's only off the atomic time clock by about 10 seconds, 2 years later. Even though this is a leap year, the date will STILL be correct on Feb 29 and Mar 1, without having to adjust... and it will change from the 28th to the 1st for the following three years, and will account for the following leap year! How cool is that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I have been wearing Citizen watches every single day since 1981 and I've been hard on them! Still to this day, I NEVER had a single issue with them (except for a battery exchange every three years or so for the older ones).....they are dead on reliable and must be among the most clever, easy to use, precise, and affordable watches in the World!
    I would never rely on anything else but Citizen for my daily use!
    In my oppinion, Citizen offers you sooo much more for the money, and they are in many cases among the most complicated and technically advanced although still dead reliable watches you can buy!!
    Even the most advanced Citizen watches are very easy to learn how to operate!

To try and illustrate how precise they are: Every day at work, I use a Citizen Promaster Racing (World timer) that I had for years now, and comparing the timekeeping on that one to that of my new radio controlled Citizen Skyhawk AT, it did not yet gain or loose a second for the two weeks I've had the Skyhawk!

I can higly recommend Citizen watches for anyone.....and if you buy your Citizen from Chris, you'll be sure to get the very best service in the business!! :)

Best regards

Carsten

10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Your #1 is the exact watch that I have. I love that watch. Advancing the time is bad-azz, and you can also set the time digitally, and the hands will haul ass into position once you confirm. When I met ernie on here, he even commented on my watch. Too bad they don't make that style anymore.

11. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I own 2 Citizens ( Aqualand and the new Shyhawk AT). Great watches for the money and I get compliments on both all the time. Funny you mentioned a Tag. I was going to buy the Formula 1 Chrono (obviously not the most expensive Tag) but a Tag none the less. I ended up buying the Skyhawk instead and I love it. It even came with a DVD to show me how to use it :).

Great watches, don't hesitate to buy one.

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #12 VTChris, Feb 23, 2008
  13. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    VERY good looking watch Chris......are you trying to tempt my weak soul once again?? :)
    How much is it??

14. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #14 Lemke, Feb 25, 2008
  15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice looking watch!

16. Thomas L Carey

Thomas L Carey Karting

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Full Name:
    Thomas Carey
    If you are looking for great bang for the buck they are really very hard to beat.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

17. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Been wearing my Titanium Skyhawk everyday for nearly 10 years.

18. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a "Stars & Stripes" and it started behaving funky after about 2 years of every-day wear. I sent it in for repair, and it was fixed -- for about 6 months and gave up again. I threw it away.

I'm not hard on watches -- I've got a Patek, an Omega, a Raymond Weil and Ebel and none of them have given me any problems at all...

19. prudence

prudence Karting

May 15, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I second this! I also received one as a graduation gift 7 years ago and I've replaced the battery once. I rarely wear it anymore but I've never had any problems whatsoever.

20. bsilverman

bsilverman Rookie

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    The Citizen is a perfectly fine watch. To put it in forum perspective, they are Pontiacs. They get the job done and they're reliable. They're better than Chevys but they overlap with them as well as Oldsmobiles, depending on the model. That Tag is a solid Buick. Just realize that the Cadillacs are a distance away....and that's just General Motors cars......
    Watches, like cars, cover a huge gamut. Economy, practical, and a whole host of genuine and less genuine levels of luxury, quality, complication and style both real and perceived.

But watches, just like cars, don't have to please or impress anyone but their owners.

21. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Yes they can, they just take a lot longer. I love my Skyhawk AT so much. Great watch, always precise

22. Delmarco

Delmarco Rookie

May 8, 2013
    Greystone, NY
    Full Name:
    Olaf
    #22 Delmarco, May 8, 2013
    love them. the original h610 (2009) and e210 (2006) calibre chronographs
    are my favorites after the Nighthawk-Promaster series!

[​IMG]

I previously wore the original steel nighthawk for like 10 years before selling it last winter when I picked up the latest Calibre h610 Promaster Nighthawk (2011).

Outside of luxury watches these are the best timepieces for style, function and longevity.

23. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  24. jomoyer

jomoyer Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh M.
    I have a Calibre 8700 on a black leather strap. Love the watch, although changing the various settings can be a pain in the ass. I've never had a problem with it. I haven't worn it in forever and noticed it was dead. Then I remembered it was solar and put it on the window sill for a day and voila, it worked. I'd venture to say Citizen is one of the best watch companies for under $1k.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Wow, nice jumps. 2008 to 2010 to 2013. :)