Front license plate rule in Maine? | FerrariChat

Front license plate rule in Maine?

Discussion in 'New England' started by masterflex164, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Are they required?

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Been to the DMV lately?

3. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    nope, I tried googling it, so that's why I'm asking...

4. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I typed "front license plate maine" into Google, and got this link back as about the 5th item down http://blog.laborlawtalk.com/category/traffic-laws/license-plate-laws/

"nope, I tried googling it, so that's why I'm asking... " - yeah right. Stop wasting our time.

All registered automobiles are required to display at least one license plate. License plates, Registration plates or tags as they are sometimes referred to are there to help law enforcement authorities and others to identify a vehicle and to show that the registration is current and valid on the vehicle. Other information about the vehicle and the registered owner can also be obtained by the license plate such as the county the vehicle is registered in, and any restrictions the vehicle may have. Certain types of plates may also give not only law enforcement but others some insight as to the character of the owner. Most laws dealing with plates have to do with these specialty and personalized plates.

Maine license plate laws stipulate how plates must be displayed. All vehicles must display two plates horizontally, one on the front of the vehicle and one on the rear. There are a few exceptions however; a trailer and semi trailer registration plate may be attached only to the rear of that trailer or semi trailer. A motorcycle may not attach the plate to the front and manufacturers, dealers or transporter registration plates may be attached only to the rear of the vehicle

Maine license plate laws have guidelines and stipulations as to the issuance of specialty plates, some are available to anyone, others are for specialized vehicles and others still are reserved for special users. The law also has guidelines for the production of such plates. Specialty plates may only be manufactured when there is a list of 2,000 people eligible and requesting such plates and a payment of $40,000 must be paid in advance. New registration plates or a suitable device in lieu of new registration plates will be issued each calendar year. It is a class E criminal act if you are caught tampering with plates or if you attempt to take or use plates that are not rightfully yours.

5. masterflex164

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    thanks for the information.

6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yea, the cops are real jerk offs about this law. Had one fine me once for not having my front plate on.

7. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
  8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Been a LONG time since visiting the NE Region of this board. Thanks Dan, will avoid this section for months to come with that type of attitude from a MODERATOR no less!

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Come on Steve don't be miserable - perhaps you yourself should pay more attention since this thread was 2 years ago. Thanks for the all CAPS condescension, I'm not finding your contribution to this topic at all helpful. If your only contribution is to be disruptive, then you're welcome to stay away :)

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    :) Always glad to help. :)