1979 308 gtb euro recomishion | FerrariChat

1979 308 gtb euro recomishion

Discussion in '308/328' started by marc.l, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Just purchased a rather lovely 30b gtb thats been in storage for 4 years and about to start getting it ready for the summer. Its been reguarly started but is currently only running on 4-6 cylinders. At this stage not sure if its the 4 year old petrol or plugs and points. The car was fully serviced before putting into storage including cam belts . Is it to be recomended to change the belts before use ? I`m going to be doing the following engine wise.....
    new plugs
    new points
    clean rebuild carbs
    new oil and filter
    new air filter
    air con service
    new coolant
    basicaly going to give it a full service and set up the ignition and carbs. have i missed any thing engine wise other than cam belts it they need doing ?
    marc

2. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I suggest re-doing the belts, its probably brittle from age anyways. While you're at it, go ahead and inspect/replace the fuel lines, fuel filter, suspension bushings, all the hoses and probably all the other liquids that you can find including the tranny's! Best to check out a lot of the maintenace threads here and maybe try to squeeze in one of Birdman's fuse block for added insurance. Post some pics of the job and have a blast doing it. Congratulations on your jewel man! :D

3. fishing

fishing Karting

Sep 3, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald
  4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Definitely nice car ... the interior looks fantastic!

5. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Very nice Euro! Now when you get a chance, help us out and fill out your profile.

6. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I will get my profile filled out today !!!
    Had a day working on the car have so far.....
    Found out why one head light dosnt lift...relay is faulty
    Removed the front callipers due to siezed on brakes, going to be rebuilding them this week along with new pipes and s/steel braided hoses.
    Got the drivers door to fit properly by adjusting the hinge.
    The car is now running on all 8 cylinders (some times...) after cleaning the plugs.
    Tommorow the back brake calipers are coming off along with the carbs for a full rebuild.

I will start posting pics of the on going work and will be asking a few questions.....

marc

7. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    You really should do all the belts--they have a way of taking a "set" and becoming brittle after non-use...cheap insurance against the unthinkable!

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I would also suggest changing from points to electronic ignition...it will help a lot!

9. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I am going to be doing a full belt replacement. I`m pretty shure its already been converted to electronic ignition. I poped the disi cap off and could see what I think is the pick up for electronic ignition. There is also 2 wire that come out between the body of the disi and the disi cap. dose this sound like its already been converted ?

marc

10. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Very Nice!
    Good luck, and have fun with it!

Jim

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd second the rec on fuel lines all the way from the carbs to the fuel filler neck rubber coupling...I pulled one off my 1977 GTB recently that was scary cracked!

12. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    +1

You should change all the fuel lines and the filler neck, they might look good but you don’t know until you removed them and bend them hard, then you see the cracks. Then you have some rubber for the ventilation also and some rubber at the bottom between the fuel tanks, change them as well. Your car is so nice so don’t take the risk of loosing it in a fire because of some old rubber.

Don’t forget the rubber at the fuel pump also.

Beautiful car by the way :)

/Patrik

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Good looking car! What size wheels and tyres?

14. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    The wheels are 16 inch 3 pieceand will look at the tyres tommorow. So far its going well, got the 2 front brake calipers bead blasted and repainted and now putting them back together with new seals and dust covers. Also put new bleed nipples on and have been busy making up new brake pipes ready to connect to the s/steel braided hoses. Going to order the new pads but cant decide if i should go for standard pads or fast road pads, any advice ? Going to get the fronts back on then tackle the rears.
    I have took a load of photos and will start posting details of the brake overhaul when i have it finnished.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel pipes, I will go through the pipes when I over haul the carbs.

Been looking at new sports exhausts and s/steel manifolds and think I may go for a Larini system (have one on my bmw csl and love it, and i have a trade account with them) as the car currently has a single out let system and looks pants.

I`ve also been looking at the BSM ingnition kit and think it may be the way to go.
    Thanks for all the help and the kind comments

marc

15. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Fantastic yes, looks new. Great looking car. Good luck with your work and enjoy the ride.

16. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    At long last the brakes were finished, the engine serviced and the belts changed it was time for a drive.........
    In some ways a bit of a disapointment...... its a lovely free reving engine and runs a treat but seems a bit on the slow side......
    In some ways it was far beter than I thought it would be.......... Turns in realy nice, gear box fantastic even when cold, handles and holds a line realy nicely, feels realy tight amd sorted and sounds so good. Its a keeper .

Just got to sort out the hand brake and replace a head light relay.

I love it.

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    aside from the hideous wheels....lovely looking car mate !!

Enjoy in good health !!

if the car feels slow, it might be due to the cars lack of use...careful in the beaking in stage, you would hate to drop a valve on it from all the years sitting...the car should wake up....i was in a similar situation last year....my 308 has gotten better.

18. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I love the wheels....compomotives are great looking

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    your right, let me rephrase....i like the wheels....on a Camaro....not a vintage ferrari ;)

20. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I quite like the wheels,well more a case of " I dont dislike them enougth to replace them with originals".
    marc

21. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I think those wheels look fantastic.

22. Euro Quattro

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
  23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    no its not, because the 288gto came out of the factory like that in the 80s...the 308 never did....its more like saying, a Daytona with 550 wheels look good ;)

24. Euro Quattro

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    Just because they never came with them doesnt mean they dont look good...I had my 308 at RTGT for servicing (oldest ferrari dealer in the US) and they all said the wheels made the car look great and loved them.The mechanic said it gave it a 288 look and gave me compliments on them,Im sticking with my opinion.