F- The Arizona "NTSI" | FerrariChat

F- The Arizona "NTSI"

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by TheBigEasy, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So at 7am on a Sunday morning... On the first leg of my drive from San Diego, CA to Houston, TX... With practically NO cars on the road, I get a speeding ticket for "84+" in posted highway speed of 75. So from Houston, I have to figure out how to deal with the pointless bs that is a defensive driving course.

The Arizona DPS outsources this whole process to a piece of sh*t company called NTSI. After finally getting through the registration process over the phone to minimum wage morons, I was given login and password to an online course. The course is 4.5 hours on reading/quizzes that you must pay full attention to, because the whole time it randomly pops up security questions to make sure you are taking the course yourself, and if you miss one, you're disqualified. Then after you finally manage to get through that, you have to take a written exam, in front of a freekin' authorized notary.

So now on top of all of that, now I've got another issue. The deadline to complete the course is Friday, and I just found out the NTSI people sent my written exam the wrong address... Now I have to call the court to see if I can get an extension, and the freekin' court won't even answer the phone! It just rings and rings.

This whole thing is one of the most frustrating thing I've ever had to do (by design I'm sure). All of this, just for buzzing "to quickly" down the road, putting absolutely nobody in danger of anything. It's all just one system after another to rake in tax money to fund more systems. I have a lot of respect for the police and what they do, but a lot of times, I wish they would spend more time actually protecting people rather spend all their time writing tickets for minor offenses. It's the "system" of it all that's the most frustrating. Errrrg!

Any ideas? Anyone know any cops in Yuma?

2. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    :)

I have a ton of sympathy for your situation. I once got a ticket, signed up for the online class, and never finished it because it was SO bad. And no one can help you. It IS the most frustrating thing in the world.

3. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yep, and they do it completely on purpose... it's part of the "punishment" for speeding I guess.

So what happens if you don't finish it? Your insurance just goes up?

4. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Sorry you got stopped and this is a real hassle. I think the AHP tends to get pretty tight in 75 zones. I think if you push it much above that, they feel 75 is fast enough, and may stop you. It's not that they'll always look the other way for only being 5-10 over. We all know how it is... the speed limits and enforcement seem to be set for the incompetent drivers, not for those of us who are highly competent at it. Best of luck clearing up this mess... ;)

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It sounds as if he was over 85 (84+) and that's always a risk. I'm pretty sure that if you exceed the limit by single digits you'll be fine. I always set the cruise control (in those cars that have it) at 84. With the built in speedo inaccuracy I'm probably doing 82 at best and that's not a risk.

6. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    That's another thing that is annoying, the "grey area" of what's acceptable. Some people say 5 over the limit is ok, some people say 10, some people say you can't go over... So it's all wishy-washy anyway, because the cop can technically pull over any car on the road that is going a single mph over 75... which is usually 95% of them.

They should set realistic speed limits, then enforce them strictly and consistently.

7. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    My experience has been that they generally won't even look at you for anything under about 85. However, near Yuma there are areas posted as 65mph and there is NO leniency shown in these areas. Ask me how I know! Also, having a California plate on a car in Arizona is as bad as having an Arizona plate in California. Plus, the added "bragging rights" of the cop when he gets back to the house about having "nailed" a Ferrari means automatic ticket. The Arizona Guv'nher recently made a proclamation about raising revenues through traffic fines to help offset our huge State debt. I would expect things to tighten up significantly here as a result...The only ways around it are a good detector, sharp eyesight (for aircraft also), and a little luck!

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    In the absence of certified and verifiably accurate speed measuring equipment, the courts will always allow for some wiggle room. The authorities understand that there is no way that they can demonstrate that their equipment is absolutely accurate all the time and that citations would be thrown out for lack of such proof. But when they prosecute you for being at least 10 miles an hour over they will be able to demonstrate quite easily that their equipment has a smaller error factor than that and therefore you can be proved to have been traveling at least above the speed limit if they stop you at 10 miles per hour over.
    The same thought process applies with the cameras in AZ where the publicly stated cutoff point for taking a picture is at 11 mph or more over the limit.

The only place they don't tolerate 1 mph over is in 15mph school zones

9. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Realistic speed limit's? you do know that if it was 90 everyone would go 100, ok I won't say anymore BECAUSE I'D BE THE ONE GOING 100! YEEHAW! I must be getting old and didn't even know it but I remember when it was 55 every where you went, I am so glad those day's are over. I feel for you, I had 5 friend's recieve tickets in the last 2 months I think I need to find some wood to knock on!

10. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I may be mistaken, and someone please correct me if I am, but I don't believe Arizona has reciprocity with any other state as far as tickets are concerned. So, if you have an out of state license and get a ticket here, just pay the fine and, if I'm correct, you won't get any points on your license.

11. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'm not concerned with getting points on my license or paying fines.... the only thing I care about is that this DOESN'T go on my insurance for an increase... because that's when it really costs you.

12. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The state does not automatically notify your insurance company and if the ticket (points) never go on your license, then your insurance won't be affected.