What would cause this to happen? (vid of low speed crash 308) | FerrariChat

What would cause this to happen? (vid of low speed crash 308)

Discussion in '308/328' started by wrxrob, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxrob

wrxrob Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    MD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29CctO6KLA

I figure this has probably been posted before, but I didn't really know what search terms to use.

What factors would cause the Ferrari 308 to lose control so easily in this clip? Things start to happen about 12 seconds into the clip.

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    One possibility:

Inexperienced driver, old tires, accelerates around corner, goes into a little oversteer, gets scared, either lifts off of the throttle or overcorrects (or both), then overcorrects some more the other way, then overcorrects some more back, either lifting off the throttle completely to completely lose it, or keeping the accelerator planted, thinking that will magically get him out of it because he was told at some point by dad not to lift in the turn.

Just my wild guess.

Most dense, heavy mid-engine cars take a *little* bit of skill to drive. Especially ones with short wheelbases! :)

3. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Guy was a show off idiot that gave too much gas around a turn and doesn't know how to drive. No reflection on the 308

4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Hard acceleration into/out of a corner in any rear/mid engine car can lighten the rear end and start to bring it around as the front suspension starts to compress. Instinct is to let off the gas and steer into the direction of the slide which is 180deg from what you should do. Once he turned into the slide and let off the gas (I'm assuming that's what happened here...I could be wrong...) the rear tires regained their grip and drove the car in the direction the front tires were pointing, which was towards the curb.... Ideally he would've wanted to modulate the gas and drive out of the slide which is not normally your 1st instinct in this situation.

FWIW, YMMV

JIM

5. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Ferrari didn't lose control, the driver did.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IIRC, it was a young driver with his parent in the car.....it happened at a Concours on the east coast.......

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Geezzzz.... This is about the 10th thread on this very same video. Ancient history, and it's been talked to death on here. Do we really need to rehash why it happened??

8. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Settle down beavis :)

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The only simple explanation for this type of behavior (video) is STUPIDITY!

10. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    hehe,.. thanks god nobody got hurt, but these cars are all about driving and having fun.. the youngster learnt a lesson but who havent?

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Will do, Butthead. :) My only point was that if he'd done a search, he'd have found plenty of answers about this very same video. But if you guys want to go through this again, be my guest.

12. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    DOH! I walked into that one. Ah well. I know what you're saying. I used to get fired up on moto boards at this same kind of thing we all get fired up or annoyed with, but now I just ignore.

13. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    I`m new on this forum and I hadn`t seen it before. Can understand how it would wind you up with it being reposted, its the kind of thing that stops people sleeping..........

14. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    You guys will love this one! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrMI_H4nAI

15. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Older than dirt.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    the only thing, what comes to my mind while watching such stuff is; why must every minor incident be released on the internet and a big drama made of it ? What can I watch here ? A 308 out of control; noone was hurt and a big crowd watching and photographing an undamaged - at least exterior - 308 standing on the green.
    The driver should be happy, that he didn't hit one of that trees in the background, should check the car's suspension and carry on.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

17. wrxrob

wrxrob Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    MD
    because its a ferrari ;)

18. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    If Im not mistaken, it was mentioned (in a different thread) that the 308 in that particular video can no longer be aligned properly.

Exactly! You wouldn't find any youtube vids about a similar "Yugo" mishap! :D

19. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

What does it mean can no longer be aligned properly? Anything bent can be straightened or replaced.

But I am curious because I hit a curb with my car years ago (it was dark and I did not see it) but I've had it to 3 aligment shops including the local Ferrari dealer and they say it's fine. Maybe it is just pyscological but I'm just not as happy with it as I was before.

20. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #22 Tony K, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chris, if you have a couple/few friends with 308s in excellent condition, why not drive yours and see how it feels to them?

Regarding that silver 308 in the YouTube video, here's another look at it.

Straight into a curb and slope like that . . . yeah, I'd say the chassis got janked a bit! :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
  22. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Look around man, I think it might have actually been bought by an F-Chatter. Its been so long ago that I've forgotten the actual details of it.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think this is a case of lift off oversteer. The 308 is relatively predictable to a point... he found that point.