Looking for a independent shop in baltimore | FerrariChat

Looking for a independent shop in baltimore

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by bspires0405, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bspires0405

bspires0405 Rookie

Feb 28, 2008
    I need to get some service done to my new F430. Nothing major, but i am not a fan of the dealer for my own reasons, and experiences. I would like to get some feedback about experiences with any independent shops in the area. I am new to the Ferrari world and unfortunately i have had some bad experiences already with getting this car serviced the way i think it should be. I do have some local "european" car shops near me in towson that i am considering but i wanted to find out if anyone has a "go to" guy around here. Thanks alot for reading and I hope you can help me.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Make the trip to Gaithersburg and visit Richard----You will have about 20 people agree with me!!!!
    www.competizionecars.com

3. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    You might want to talk to Paul at DiFatta Bros. on Belair Rd. I've had my 328 and 308 serviced there. I don't know what you need to have done but it's worth a phone call.
    Will

4. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    bspires0405, sent you a pm

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    the "go to" guy is richard at Competizione. He is factory trained on the 430. It will be hard to find anybody near you with those credentials. Go by his shop and you will be his customer. They love to have new customers come by and check out the shop. He specializes in people who don't like the dealer. He will also come pick up the car in an enclosed trailer. he's also cheaper than the dealer. Hard to beat that package.

6. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    Recent services at Competizione:

Testarossa major, new clutch and small dents/dings removal
    360 oil change/fluid service
    360 new tires (Kumhos dropped shipped via www.tirerack.com) - done today

I highly recommend the shop - very experienced and competively priced -- service w/a smile -- and VERY accomodating and easy to work with (digital photos, great communications/explanation of technical details). Also has an enlcosed car transporter. The espresso coffe is excellent if you decide to wait for minor service.

Thank you Fernando & Richard!!!!

7. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    +1 on Competizione -- those guys live/breathe Ferrari. Hell, it's worth it to take your car there just to have another excuse to go to their shop and look around.

- Eric

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1 - Always fun to drive up just to see some amazing cars...

9. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    First, congrats on the purchase of a F430!!! Also, welcome to the board! :) Like the majority has already said and will say, go to Richard and Fernando. They are very passionate at what they do and know F-Cars top to bottom. Wetpet already mentioned it but the fact that Richard is factory trained all the way up to the 599 should give you some piece at mind.

10. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    I too, down here in Richmond, just took my F360 to Competizione. Such personal attention, you feel as if you are their only customer. You receive e-mail photos of your car when it is being worked on, all e-mails promptly returned. Had some Hyper-flow cats installed and my ECU re-mapped while on the dyno to work with the Hyper-flows and Tubi. My car FLIES. At VIR 2 weeks ago, a 430 in front of me did not pull ahead by much. These guys were great. I will be recommending them to our Richmond group, without hesitation. A number already use them, anyway. John

Competizione & Sports Cars
    19211 Chennault Way Unit G
    Gaithersburg, MD 20879
    Tel: 301-977-9484
    Fax: 301-977-9473
    E-mail: [email protected]
    www.competizioneracing.com

11. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    +1 They are the best!

12. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Don't forget about Radcliffe Motorcar Company run by Richard Garre (Formally with Chuck Wray at Grand Touring) He is in Owings Mills Boulevard in Reisterstown and does excellent work. 410-517-1681 Many many years of Ferrari experience under his roof

regards

ken

13. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K

14. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    for an f430 ?! you have got to be kidding me. have they removed all of the old fiat skeletons out of the front of the building? ! they have absolutely no ferrari (or any ) computer diagnostic equipment . the place is as nasty as a preakness day porta potti . they only have one bay(if you call it that ) open because the rest of the place is piled high with junkyard parts even the shop tables have carved out areas for workspace amid the carb bodies and rusty intakes.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qjqxtt8mnfkw&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7153073&encType=1

15. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    That was funny! Thanks for the visual aids. Truthfully the only place in the area to service a 430 other than a dealer is Competizione. They cannot do warranty work but if I'm not mistaken they are fully equipped to handle the newer Ferraris. And they are factory trained.... very important

16. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    And I think Richard is one of 30 people in the US factory certified to work on the Enzo. That says something.

17. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not to take anything away from Richard's mechanical ability but I disagree that this by itself "says something". There are ~35 dealers in the US, so the number of factory certified mechanics wouldn't be too large to begin with.

Regards,
    Chris

18. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Let me put my crack pipe down for a minute............................................ True but I think it would be safe to say most of them work for Ferrari dealers... which takes us back to the OPs original question regarding service. How many of them with this kind of ability do you think own and operate their own business? So the fact that he is able to work on something that is still factory supported does say something. In 10 or 15 years it may not be so relevant but right now it is.

19. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    James,
    There is no question that this training would be of value to someone looking to have an Enzo serviced, but I don't recall the OP mentioning anything about wanting to get an Enzo serviced. The other poster's comment seemed to suggest that Richard being 1 of X trained Enzo techs makes him a better technician which was what I was disagreeing with. FoW sold at least one Enzo new that I'm aware of which more than likely gave Richard the opportunity to be Enzo trained, so that alone doesn't say anything.

Regards,
    Chris

20. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Christopher,
    The value of emerging technologies is quite evident seeing as how the Enzo shares some with the newer F430. Plus Richard did not wait till a car simply showed up to the dealership before he received training... for that he went back to Italy hence the term Factory Trained... Again it is relevant because the level of skill required to service one of those gives him a unique perspective to be able to service one of these. Please try to understand the analogy that was trying to be presented. I await your response with crack pipe in hand.... :)

21. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    right. But since all the mechanics this guy is gonna look at are not at the dealership, That makes him an even rarer bird. In fact, the only one mentioned in this thread to take his car too. That says alot. Being that there are probably 10 mechanics average at the 35 dealerships and they come and go, i would imagine over 400 could have been eligible for this training. still puts him in the 90+ percentile of the very rare mechanics that work at ferrari dealers. I think that says alot too. I think a good example would be to look at how many mechanics there currently are at FOW and how many of them are factory trained on the enzo? Ralfie can probably tell us.

22. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    #22 zebra308, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just like in the old country! LOL

All that is gold does not "GLITTER".

I didn't know if he just wanted an oil changed or the Italian air in his tires federalized?

OP said service ,not specific to which service or if it required a diagnostic check?

Just another resource in the "Baltimore" area.

I'm sure the OP can make his own judgments once he made a phone call.

I agree it not the neatest place in the world,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    Not positive why someone felt it necessary to take a shot at Richard Garres Shop. WTF?? I have had my car there several times and have been very happy. No complants. Shop is nice. It may not be the Ritz but who cares. I don't go there to eat or sleep I go to get my car worked on. After all it is still a shop. I just don't understand why it seems necessary to take pot shots. If someone has a complaint put it out there. Otherwise why not be gentlemen.

24. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    who took a shot at Richard Garre's shop?

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    only positive things have been said about radcliffe in this thread. Not positive why you are so touchy?