Alonso and Bernie tip Kimi for title (for ron) | FerrariChat

Alonso and Bernie tip Kimi for title (for ron)

Discussion in 'F1' started by maxorido, Feb 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    That is the beauty of racing. Nothing is for certain.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Very interesting - in a BBC interview with Alonso, he says Hamilton could win the title. I think I'll go with this prediction.

Carol

4. Cartist

Cartist Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2006
    Grapevine, TX
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Ferrari has been reliable so far (giving Kimi the best shot), I'm curious to see how those new gearboxes hold out...

5. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Ron puts almost every Autosport article as a thread, but not this one. I wonder why :)

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think that either one of the Ferrari drivers will win the title. unless, of cos, they decide to shoot themselves in the foot, like how they almost did in Japan last year.

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes he did, I heard him say LH would be even better this year... ermm not disagreeing with him on that but I don't take any notice of what he say's, he should just stick to what he is good at.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Steve, I've also read other articles about Lewis for this year too. He and Heikki will definitely be a force not to take lightly. We'll know how it shapes up in less than two weeks. Thank goodness for my iPhone so I can watch live timing while we're at Sebring. (This weekend it begins in earnest - LMS at Paul Ricard - although some of the teams will be at Sebring and forego the test).

Carol

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    As much as it pains me to say this, and it truly does, McHammer has to be seen as the season favourite.

He's now familiar with every track. He's going to receive undivided attention and he doesn't have to worry about his teammate. His testing times have been formidable and Mclaren haven't (seemingly) experienced problems with reliability. Plus, LH has got that scary numerical alignment thing going for him (23 this year, driving car #23, an MP4-23...).

With that nasty spike called 2007 still firmly imbedded and the collective feeling at Woking/Unterturkheim they were unjustly raped and pillaged, it's no premonition they'll be out for blood, if not retribution.

Kimi and Phil have their work cut out.

10. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    Do you seriously believe this is a factor? Maybe Michael Jordan and Lebron James will come and work his pit crew season and inspire him to the WDC.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Sometimes I sleep in. Autosport comes out at 9 AM British time, that's about 3 AM East coast time, so the early bird catches the story.

As for this article, didn't see it that day, I would only predict that a Ferrari driver will win the WDC. Bernie has 50/50 odds of being correct.

This is sort of like predicting the Red Sox will win next year's World Series. Easy to go with a winner, but you are not always right.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The second time this has happened this off season so far. Coincidence?

13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    what..a man can't sleep? :D

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Kimi Baby Kimi for 08. However, I think Hamilton will run him close all year.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's what the news media do all the time: Censorship by leaving out stories that don't fit the picture.

As for 2008 WDC: Kimi is going to walk over the competition.

16. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It will all depend on the car (which is rather stating the obvious ;)) and we just don't really know yet how the cars will shape up, although the Ferraris seemed quickest in testing. For that reason making LH favourite is, I think, premature. If the McLarens turn out to be as quick as the Ferraris LH has every chance because he's as quick a driver as anyone, IMO.

17. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Alonso, the conceited jerk, is even tipping Kimi instead of himself. Maybe he knows something that we don't.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He's just being realistic.

I totally hate it when some midfield drivers state that their goal is to win the championship. Yeah, right.

19. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    It's very surprising that this is coming from Fernando Alonso. Also, isn't it great that Alonso is writing off his team already before the first race, certainly this will keep the team working hard to make the car faster.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Again he is being realistic. If a double world champion would be stating some unrealistic dream as the goal, he would loose all credibility. I think it is more motivating for the team members to know that their driver know what is possible and states that than some fairy tale goal where you already know it is BS.

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good post Is, not sure about the number thing interesting though, if it's his lucky number..:)

I have got a feeling HK is going to keep him honest , and because he is the underdog/newbie in the team, nothing to lose so to speak he will give him a few good close races..cant waaaait!

22. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I think it's one thing to be realistic and honest within the team, that might be motivating, but pretty much to write off your team's chances in public before the season even starts must be more likely to demotivate the team members. I'm not suggesting he should make any outlandish claims such as they're going to win the championship or even win races, he should just keep his public comments neutral.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah, c'mon, what fun would F1 be if Alonso wouldn't be the whining baby that he is! :)

24. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    +1, as I was always told "Don't say anything if you don't have anything good to say." Who knows Renault might discover a use of anti-matter on a F1 car and find 10 seconds a lap.

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    DC and Ralf comes into mind.. :D