Looking for a independent shop in baltimore | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking for a independent shop in baltimore

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by bspires0405, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    fyi-i didnt mean to throw Zebra308 under the bus on my comment of his post . we are good friends (with different opinions!)

I felt it ness to explain the "ambiance" of the shop as i experienced it first hand.

2. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jim,
    I seriously doubt anyone goes to Maranello and gets "Factory Trained" w/o some affiliation w/ a authorized dealership which is what I was really getting at. Richard is certified because he was in the right place(FoW) at the right time. Again, nothing against Richard as I actually think quite highly of him.

Regards,
    Chris

3. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    like i said in my post. a lot of people were in the right place at the right time. few were chosen.

4. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ed,
    I suspect there might not be any right now at FoW which is why you asked this question. If I'm wrong I apologize...but your unfavorable bias towards FoW is well known.

Regards,
    Chris

5. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin

DZ,

No harm, No foul.

Thank God it was the "short bus". LOL

6. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    bingo

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The OP was asking for independent shops other than the dealer because of his bad experience with them. All the posts up until this one--your first of the thread--recommended other shops. Your first post here doesn't help the OP or answer the OP's question...This is EXACTLY how threads go off topic and end up taking away from this forum...You should apoligize to the OP for hijacking his thread to state your own opinion and not helping his question.......

8. bspires0405

bspires0405 Rookie

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks alot for all the info guys. I will be calling all of the reccomended as well as some others some of the german car friends i have reccomended. Just to add my 2 cents I am not particularly concerned with the look of any shop. Also i am not impressed with factory certification or should i say that wouldnt be a deciding factor for me. A factory certified tech can take shortcuts to save time, and make mistakes. My father was a mechanic and he would be the first i would trust this car to if he were not retired. He also had a very small shop. But again i appreciate everything greatly. I will keep you gentlemen updated.

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I would agree with you if we were talking Nissans or Chevys but knowing what I know as it applies to this scenario; Ferrari factory certification and the experience to back it up does mean something. The one shop that has been recommended to you repeatedly does not cut corners and operates from the mindset more in line with customer expectation. I gain nothing from recommending them BTW. I'm just that satisfied I won't get ripped off and the job will be done right .... the first time through.... Maybe the condition of a shop is superficial for some but for me and many others here it goes along way towards helping to create a sense of trust that you'll get your car back in the same condition appearance wise as when you dropped it off. Good luck to you.

10. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Just so I'm not misunderstood.

The original poster didn't ask for help in diagnosing a software problem with his car. Had that been the case, I wouldn't have made my recommendation. I still don't know what exactly his issues are, except they're "minor".

He asked for a shop in this area. He's located in Towson, Md. , about 10 min. from Di Fatta Bros. I was just trying to save him time.
    My recommendation wasn't to ____use____ Di Fatta, just to call them.

I agree that an F430 would require some pretty sophisticated diagnostic equipment (you know, the kind that has a lot of lights that blink, whirling sounds and complete with a print out.) with a matching tech, who knows how to use it. I just don't know if that's what he needed?

11. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    'the place is as nasty as a preakness day porta potti'

This was the comment I had a problem with. It is not accurate, period. If the poster did not feel the Radcliffe was the best place for that car then just say that. Now a new member to the site has an opinion on a shop he has not visited. And an opinion that would not be accurate. I have an older car. I have had it at Radcliffe on serveral occasions. I drive my car frequently and on long trips. I don't mind getting some piece of mind knowing that it is ready to go. On every occasion the bill has been less than what I had estimated. The work has been done well and on time.

If the above was meant as a joke then fine. But the new member would never know that!

Anyway said my peace.

12. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    please read more thoroughly as i have no idea about radcliffe. I was referring to a different shop.

13. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    Not to stir up anything , but I think you should READ the posts before you say something totally STUPID! No where did MD348 mention Richard Garre's shop! He was accurately describing Di Fatta's shop! SAY YOU ARE SORRY and kiss and make up!

14. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    My apologies. Missed the detail in the post.

15. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T

That's better!

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i'm in good company on this board. For good reason. Funny though,because i actually used fow as an example because of your comments about dealers and how it is apparently no big deal that someone would be factory trained on the enzo. You'll notice i didn't say a word till you brought it up.

17. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I think i just figured you out. You must be on the scuderia list and you're trying to win favor with fow. i heard you had to buy a bunch of maseratis (and not have richard work on your car) to get one.

Is this your cs that fow is selling?
    http://inventory.fwash.com/car/site/site.php?view=pur-information-f&context=inventory__1&vid=345

It's all becoming clear now, like my bias.

18. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Play nice Ed. Who's gonna service your Lamborghini? :D

19. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    Not Fernando! :)

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    why is it always me? he started the ****. The best Italian car mechanics on the east coast will be taking care of it. But i'm hoping I won't need them :).

21. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    Ed , your such a trouble maker :)

22. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    being a b'lair road boy i've no qualms about having paul at difatta's working on my 308qv. they did my belt service. i was pleased with the service. now a 430, that's a horse of a different color. as to the apperance of the shop, well after all it is b'lair road hon.

23. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Concur. I find it odd that it is claimed Richard has no computer equipment. He just got through resetting the TP sensing system on my 575. Sure wasn't anything but a Ferrari computer he was using.

24. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    That's great but who said Richard Garre had no computer equipment? You guys need to go back and read the postings so you understand all the players involved (mentioned) in this thread. We've talked about Competizione... DiFatta.... and Radcliffe. No one has said anything derogatory about Radcliffe.

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    Is the radcliffe camp a touch sensitive? wonder why?