REWARD! 550 WANTED! $$$ | FerrariChat

REWARD! 550 WANTED! $$$

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ratedx, Dec 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ratedx

ratedx Karting
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2005
    Ok-lets make this interesting! I am willing to pay a finders fee for a nice 550 with low to average miles( no more then 17,500 miles). Not interested in purchasing from a dealer. I prefer red/tan,silver, but will consider all colors. I prefer purchasing from owner since I feel they know thier car best. I would pay $2500 for your time,research etc.. Please no previous damaged cars,or cars with many previous owners. please pm me.

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It might help if you at least mention the continent you are on....

Onno

3. ratedx

ratedx Karting
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2005
    I live in NJ (USA)

4. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Why dont you check out the one listed by WestChester car dealer carconnections.com. I know the owner of the dealership and he is a straight up guy. Car looks to be fairly priced. Several FChat people have done business with him and speak well of him. I personally have bought three cars from him and have always been satisfied. Add $2500 in goodies for your car instead of giving it to me. Hope it works out. Jon in Delaware.

5. byronn5

byronn5 Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there's always Sport Auto- www.sportauto.cc - one there is silver/black

Just a thought...

6. palmer8

palmer8 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. ratedx

ratedx Karting
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2005
    That would be a little too easy LOL !! 1998 tit/red for 108,000 too much?

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is your price point?
    Ed

9. ratedx

ratedx Karting
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2005
    It really depends on the car-but I think a 97 or 98 I would spend up to 80-90 with low to average miles. 99-2001 90-110 low to average miles. Color and options are also factors. If a nice car needs service I would think in fairness that #$$ should be deducted. I have all funds ready and would move quickly on purchase. thanks for reply

10. palmer8

palmer8 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been looking myself and almost all 550s seem to be asking significantly more than they are worth. Both dealers and private parties seem to be either overestimating demand or trying to put a succer on the hook for a lot more than the car is actually worth.

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting point here. If all nice 550's asking prices are too high, and the seller are not budging, then is it the seller or buyer whose price is off?

Everyone has heard stories of nice $85-90k 550's, I've just never seen one.

-dsd

12. palmer8

palmer8 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is true. Ive only seen 1 or 2 550s below $100k, while the rest are hovering at about $115k. The only reason I thought $115k was too high was because I kept hearing of these sub $100k cars. I believe Forza pegged the average market for 550s to be about $115k, so it might just be that this is the correct market price.

This 550 (http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=402&cat=4) seems to be a nice(albeit high mileage) example at $89k, so maybe its just these higher mileage cars going for under $100k.

13. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I guess I need to take issue with this only because I am still seeing a lot of 550s ASKING under $100k (and I am not even looking that hard).

Of course, the qualifier is whether there were "nice" 550s under $100k and that is a subjective statement. If you're looking for a sub 7k mile garage queen, I would say 'no' but I noticed the Charlie Sheen car's price dropped to $95k (Buy It Now on eBay) and there's a TdF Blue (granted the interior is hideous IMO) for $86k and change. Mileage for these cars tend to be 17k-35k, but, then again, these cars are usually better driven regularly, so that should not scare anyone provided the services were all performed religiously and the PPI comes back clean.

So, no question they are out there.

ketel

14. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    LOL! A 10 year-old car with 28K on the clock is "high mileage." I'm waiting for one with 50K miles to go on sale at $45K. :) There are more than a dozen 550's for sale right now at less than $100K. Sure, they are all "high mileage" (more than 20,000 miles) and they are off color or Euros or a '97 or something other than perfect. That's why they are asking less than $115K. I can't be sure, but I would guess that $30K would fix a lot of problems on a $85K car and then you would know they were fixed and not waiting to break, like on the $115K car.

15. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Dakharris - You go, girl! :)

Seriously, though, I don't understand this pre-occupation with garage queens! -- especially for a car that was *designed* to be driven daily, with gusto, without complaint.

An 8-year old 550 with 3k miles on it would scare the crap outta me. Sure, it looks great, but that thing's been sitting (400 miles a year, or thereabouts) and you KNOW the moment you start driving this thing regularly all sorts of stuff is going to start breaking. Belts and hoses could be dried out and stiff, fluids could be foiled and have left deposits in the engine from all that sitting, etc etc.

Does it not make a heckuva lot more sense to get a car that has been regularly driven and taken care of? Say, a 98 that's done 3k a year? That would now be a 27K mileage car. Apparently, that would put the fear of God in a lot of people on this forum who would consider that a high mileage car!!!

You could probably pick an example of that up for $85-95k. THEN, you can take the $20k you'd be saving and put some of it back into the car to really make it nice. That chunk of change would go a long way toward correcting any scratches, dings, bubbling in the wheel leather wrap, weatherstripping cracks, and the typical stuff I have seen on post-15k mile 550s.

Think of it this way: if you're out of shape because you have been living a pretty sedentary life for 8 years, and then you start running 10ks daily, you are going to be in a lot of pain for a long time as your body gets used to the new stresses being placed on it. Or worse, you will injure yourself (throw out your back, shin plints, joint problems, etc) But, if you have already been doing regular 10ks, your body is used to the punishment and won't skip a beat.

Similarly, a 550 that has been sitting has not been put through its paces. If you take that 'sedentary' car and start driving it hard daily, logically it is fair to assume it will not be happy about it. Things will break, etc, until the car adapts to the new usage requirements. Why, then, if you are thinking about a 550 as a regular driver would you want one that has been a couch potato?

Just my opinion. Then, again, I could be wrong.

ketel

16. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    I am selling a 1999 Red with tan 550 maranello with 3170 miles, no wrecks no stories, the car is flawless. If you are interested, send me a message. Thanks

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What options?

Great Screen name, BTW! :)

18. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have for sale a 2000 550 red and tan. It has 19,300 miles. All services are done. Well maintained car. It is in excellent shape with all service records. The car resides in florida. It has an x-pipe and tubi exhaust. If you have any more question you can pm on ferrarichat.

pictures:
    www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187612

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Most of the one owner 550s I'm seeing with low miles for under a 100K are Euro imports converted to U.S. DOT and OBD II emmisions standards and that can be risky business.