Does anybody know this 1978 Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Does anybody know this 1978 Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by RichardAguinsky, Feb 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Its a 1978, GTB 308. Red, black interior. In the San Francisco Bay area. VIN# 25787

It claims to have 4500 miles on it.

I did a search but I can't find the VIN. Carfax does not go back that far.

Thanks,

Richard

2. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
  3. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    i would say no, the overall conditon is not clean enough, the pedals are too worn.. but again, in 30 years material deteriorate and pending how the car was stored, it could be a 4500 miles car... but at that price it is nothing to be scared off, knock off 5% with cash in the hands and you have a nice GTB.

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I'd be very surprised to see a true 4500 mile car with:

- a score in the brake rotor
    - the spare tire replaced
    - the front louvers painted black
    - more cracking and wear on the driver's seat left bolster than everywhere else
    - so much dirt in the pedals
    - the wheel center caps already that faded/fuzzy
    - that much paint chipped off of the rims (my rims with 55k miles look better)
    - the paint around the wheel arches, where there is indeed no road rash, just looks too thick to me.

Sure, it's possible, as a lot can happen in 4500 miles and 30 years, but to have all of the above seems unlikely. I've seen cars with 30k miles that look more pristine.

I think the asking price tells the truth about the mileage moreso than the odometer. ;) Either way, as mentioned above, could be a great deal!

- T

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    those are not 30 year issues, those are high miles issues.

6. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    That's my point. :)

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Its pretty easy to disconnect the odometer on a 308...

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    The driver's seat has had a patch stitched into it, plus both seats look to be in quite poor shape overall.

You'll also notice that the carpet by the driver's dead pedal is frayed along its leading edge.

I'm no expert, but I'd be really surprised if this kind of wear and tear could happen in 4500 miles!

9. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My money is on 104,500 miles given its condition, repaint, etc., etc.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I know this is really sad of me, but I think I was following this car on eBay at the end of 2006. If it's the same car I was watching, it was sold on eBay by a fellow in Edison, NJ. I copied and saved the pictures off the original listing, and guess what, the driver's seat looks very very similar to this one on Craigslist. Surely this cannot be a coincidence.

If I can find the original listing and/or details I'll let you know. I've probably got emails to the Edison fellow on my other PC which I rarely use. Let me know if you'd like me to try and dig up the info.

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    +1. GMTA. That was the first thing that jumped into my head when I saw the condition. It would be interesting if the old listing from 2006 was found and the odometer showed up with a very different number.

Don't you just love this place???!!

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wouldn't bet a nickel on the odometer. That's one tired-looking Ferrari.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    It's a PITA to dredge through my old PC and find the info but I'm equally curious to know what the '96 listing said. I'm as certain as I can be that this is the same car -- it has exactly the same cigarette lighter underneath the central vents, and it looks like the same radio too. The '96 seller wasn't trying to pass the car off as a 4500 mile one, that much I know for sure. It's all coming back to me now -- the '96 one had a small dent in the roof too!

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Here's are a few photos from the '96 listing ... it is the same car isn't it?

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a stereo fader balance knob, my guess...you can see the 'hole in the wall' lighter still in the console.....

16. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I'll bet it's an added 12V outlet (aka cigarette lighter hole), for radar detector, cell phone, etc. ;)

17. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    AMAZING! It has covered ZERO miles in TWELEVE YEARS!!!

Kind of like how the vast majority of 308s twelve years ago had 30k miles, give or take a couple grand, and believe it or not, the vast majority of 308s STILL DO TODAY!!!1!!1!11!!11 lol

;) :p

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I beg your pardon guys ... was having a mental blockage of some sort ... I meant to say that it was a 2006 listing, not a 1996 listing

19. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Don't worry -- it was worth the amusement! :D (...and still, zero miles in two years?...)

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    What a dummy I am ... I mean, did eBay even exist in 1996? Nevertheless, I'm sure this is the same car and I'm certain that it was never promoted as a 4500 mile example.