599 vs. Lambo | FerrariChat

599 vs. Lambo

Discussion in '612/599' started by speed racer, Mar 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I've never owned or even been a passenger in a Lambo. Now I know there are at least several members who currently own or have owned both a 599 and a Lambo. I just have to know how my 599 would stand up in this kind of race. Has anyone ever tracked a G or M Lambo against a 599? Has Top Gear or any show ever featured this kind of of a gun fight? I'm really interested in hearing comments from people who really know both types. I love my F car. But like the bank robber in the beginning of Dirty Harry says as he's lying on the ground next to a shotgun "I gots to know" .

2. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    In acceleration, a 599 would take a Murci, but on a track the Murci would take the 599 imho.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Neither one of these is a track car, but the Murc in particular is wide, heavy and ungainly. I don't recall seeing a track test of a Murci anywhere, and probably for good reason. It's simply too big. The Gallardo Superleggera would be the better track car in the Lambo lineup, but even that was smoked in a recent track test (R&T April 2008) by a standard Viper. This was a real test - same driver, same day, same track.
    I'd say that the 599's suspension setup (the fancy Delphi Magnetic system) would give the 599 superior handling versus the Murci, and therefore provide better lap times.
    But the point is, does it really matter what a professional driver can do with these cars? The only thing that counts for me is driving the car myself. And another highly subjective thing - I love Ferraris and I have never had even the remotest desire to own a Lambo.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

That makes two of us mate!! :D:D

5. UAE 599 gtb

UAE 599 gtb Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    UAE, Dubai
    I own a 599 and I raced with a LP 640 which was T. with capristo EXH. ECU, and Thorotle ?

The 599 ****ed the LP 640, Lambo. is fake only a show car ?

I will show you guyz the video soon ?

6. UAE 599 gtb

UAE 599 gtb Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    UAE, Dubai
    By the way the 599 was not tunn.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Well,not everyone is in a position allowing to purchase a new Ferrari without paying exorbitant premiums.
    It takes time ,patience and loyalty to develop such "relationship" with a dealer,so for the rest of the people who lack any of the mentioned attributes there is always a Lambo,car ready available,most of the time at a discount and really not that bad in itself.......

8. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    I will tell you that I went out to a "Lamborghini track day" (where all cars could run as well) and spanked all Lambo's except for one LP640..
    He would pull in the straights, but I would always reel him back in the corners.. so I would say it was a pretty even race.. Did I forget to mention that this was in my F430 Coupe?! There is an another "Lambo day" coming up in April and I will be taking my 599 out to see how it compares this time around.. I'm confident that there will be no real comparison.. I will post my results and hopefully some video footage!

9. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Like I said, I love my 599. I've owned some previous F cars and never have had the desire to own anything else. I believe your either a Ferrari guy or a Lambo guy. I read an article in the Robb Report about a guy who currently owned 10 Lambo's. When asked how many Ferrari's he owned the answer was 0. Personally I never liked the design. the quality of its workmanship or the type of attention grabbing their cars represent. But I have to admit it gives me a warm feeling inside to know that all things being equal. I can kick its a** around the track if I feel the need for speed. I appreciate everyones comments.Thanks for the feedback.

10. mksgr

mksgr Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Germany
    German SportAuto magazine did comprehensive tests of both cars.

The track results are as follows:

LP640 (on Cup tires):
    Hockenheim: 1.11,8
    Nuerburgring: 7.47

F599GTB (standard tires):
    Hockenheim: 1.12
    Nuerburgring: 7.47

0-300kph tests done by German AMS magazine confirmed that the F599GTB is about 5s quicker up to 300kph in the straight line.

11. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cup tires will make a HUGE diff. Same tires the 599 will wipe out the Lambo for sure!

JM
    Austin, TX

12. madFerrariFan

madFerrariFan Formula Junior

May 9, 2007
    Karachi
    Full Name:
    MAQ Khan
    or any Lambo fan wants to tell the real truth???

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yep.

What a car can do in the hands of a professional driver versus other cars driven by that same driver on the same day on the Nordschleife is an utterly worthless benchmark to 99.9999% of the buying public. Sabine Schmitz would destroy any one of us on that track on roller skates or in an asthmatic Austin Mini with one fouled plug and a flat rear tire.

Buy what turns your neurons on, and drive it. If that is a used 355 or a new 599 or an overpriced LP640 or a ragged out Gallardo you got from Kittenscats.com, go for it. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it. But don't ever think one car is better based upon the lap times of a professional driver that can and will out drive you in a delivery van full of wet socks whilst you thunder from missed apex to missed apex in a 599, 430 or Scuderia with max tc on.

High performance is the domain of the best drivers. The differences thereof will be placed upon the driving ability of the driver, not the machine.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Switzerland
    from my point of view, its importent how I feel the car on a racetrack e.g. with my tuned gt3 my racelaps are 2 sec lower compare to my cs now but i have much more fun with my cs on a racetrack much more edgy and fun. The german sportauto magazin wrote that the 599 is easy to drive very fast without wet hands also on the nürburgring. The LP 640 is much more understeering car and not so clear and more difficult to drive for the same Laptime. I only testet the Gallardo SL its faster then my cs but not so much fun and feels like a haevy sportcar with a sluggish handling.
    For me the best compromise car at the moment is the 599 for all needs.
    Now it`s your call, I would buy 430 S or 599 for racetrucks and easy driving above every lambo.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #15 Mark(study), Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw TOP GEAR last night on BBC America.... they did the 599 on their track

Lambo came 7th place, 599 came in 11th place. I love this show! Same track, same professional driver, gives us a nice simple way to really rank the cars by performance.

1 Ascari A10 1.17.3
    2 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
    3 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
    4 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
    5 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
    6 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
    7 Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8
    8 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
    9 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
    10 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
    11 Ferrari 599 GTB 1.21.2
    12 Ford GT 1.21.9
    13 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
    14 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3

I think the bigger question is looks- "exotic" vs "taller, normal shaped car"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The only thing Jeremy didn't like about the 599 was that it had too many computer program options that gave you the high performance via computer control of the machine.

Jeremy actually look bored driving the car, after he set his switches and then let the car do its thing. Clarkson was holding the wheel with his left hand (only two fingers) and ripping through the curves, while taking with his right hands. Pretty funny.

I was surprised when he said he'd rather have a classic Ferrari, "cars are becoming too much like the stealth bomber flown by computers". (On the flip side , he also said the Lambo was crazy... if you get to the limit it might kill you).

He did turn off the computers and driver aids on the 599 and tried the same corner and spun it out in a huge cloud of smoke. Top Gear is such a fun show! Just having fun, and breaking through the myth and hype to get to some basic driving by both pros and fat old guys... LOL Jeremy Clarkson makes fun of all cars, but I give him credit for making fun of himself also.

17. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Couldn't agree more, 99% of owners will never get close to even 75% of the true performance of their cars.

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Some do get close,even 100% car's performance.
    They just don't get to park their car in their garage...
    (Bodyshop or wrecking yard)

19. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    There's a quote by a famous race car driver, Italian I think. Can't remember the driver. But I can remember the quote. "If you think you have control of your car. You're not driving fast enough." Meaning I guess that if your not driving your car on the edge. That thin line where you push your car to the razors edge of its optimum performance and possibly just an inch beyond the scope of your ability or the cars ability to be controled. You are not getting the most your car has to offer. The difference between merely a good race car driver and a great one.

20. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    Wasn't that in reference to the Mille Miglia?

21. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I'm hoping somebody can tell me! Right now I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to this one!

22. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    "If you're under control you're not going fast enough" Parnelli Jones

23. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I believe you are absolutely right. Thanks for the reminder.

24. mayer

mayer Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    99% of the time, I'd say the LP640 is better looking, but for some reason (maybe it's the color) the 599 looks sooo much better in the picture you posted.

25. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I got both a 599 and a LP640. The "Clarkson looks bored" comment is right on. The 599 is so refined - drives SO well, that it gets kinda boring. Make no mistake - I love my 599, but its a bit of an Armani suit. The LP on the other hand never fails to put a smile to my face, as well as a smile on everyone who sees it. What I love about the LP is that it feels so much more like an oldschool supercar. Which do I prefer? Depends on my mood. Simple as that.

Make of that what you will. ;)