Manhattan Motor Cars 2003 F575 | FerrariChat

Manhattan Motor Cars 2003 F575

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by kenny1022, Mar 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hello:

I'm looking to purchase a 2003 F575 (Vin #ZFFBV55A930134326) from Manhattan Motor Cars. I inquired about a PPI and the salesman seemed to be a bit standoff-ish. He said I could have one done but I would have to setup and pay for transport, etc. Also, he informed me that it would not be necessary since the dealership inspects the cars upon purchasing them and the sale would be covered by NY's lemon law.

I am wondering if this is sound advice, what kind of protection I have under the NY lemon law statute, and which statute applies to me (NY or NJ) given that I am a NJ resident.

Thanks!

Ken

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    scroll down i think someone else was buying the same car in the past few weeks, not sure what happened you can PM him for details.

3. Vino Bello

Vino Bello Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Cali
    Best advice i can give you from experience: Do you own inspection. Use your own mechanic.

4. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    +1 - Very sound advice!

5. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Best advice I can give you from experience is: Dont eat yellow snow.

6. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    brown too

7. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is it worth it?

8. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Matt B, one of our fellow Fchatters, just moved over to the MMC sales department from being the GM in the Service Department. He'll post up in a bit and I'm sure he can hook you up with anything you need ;)

9. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Kenny I know Kenny H is supposed to speak to you later today, if you have any further questions on the car feel free to call me - Kenny H will give you my contact info. Also there is no issue having someone come and inspect the car, I will provide a lift if need be. If you would like to take it to a dealer to have a PPI done we can discuss that too - but it would be at your cost. If you need to speak to me sooner email me at [email protected]

~Matthew~

10. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

PPIs are ALWAYS done at the cost of the customer. What is this business "but at your cost?" Of course it's at the cost of the customer.

But if MMC won't do anything to facilitate the process of getting a PPI done for the customer, watch out. What I mean is: if they don't say, "Hey, sure, no problem -- we want you to look it over to make sure you're happy with it -- and we'll even give you a few names for transportation" -- then they are being standoffish instead of courteous. In that case, they would be acting in a manner completely atypical of the manner in which dealers who know anything about the way pre-owned Ferraris are sold tend to act.

I can think of three reasons for the response you've been getting: either there's something to hide; or MMC doesn't know the Ferrari pre-owned car business and is completely ignorant of common etiquette in that business; or, they just want to spare themselves of the "hassle" and be discourteous by trying to discourage a PPI. I suspect it's the last one, but of course I cannot know for sure.

You just don't buy pre-owned Ferraris without a PPI. Ever. And especially over 100K! No one with any Ferrari education will buy a pre-owned Ferrari without a PPI. I am aware that very high end dealers prefer to cater to the ignorant car buyer than the educated one.

By the way, for the record: I like Manhattan Motorcars. I have for years. I am friendly with the owner and with some of the sales staff.

But discouraging a PPI is inexcusable. The salesman, whoever he is, should be called out on that.

11. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Um........ did you not read the post above you? I said there is not issue with a PPI, and even if it needs to go somewhere else for inspection that is fine too. So talking us down and saying we know nothing about Ferrari pre-owned and that we prefer ignorant customers is a little harsh, wouldn't you say?! I have addressed this issue with Kenny H and he is in direct contact with Kenny1022.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Actually, I accused you (plural) of not a single thing that you have mentioned. I recommend that you re-read the language in my post. I apologize if it sounded like I was talking down MMC. I wasn't. I was, in fact, talking down the salesman, whoever he is.

I merely indicated the warning signs and also the common etiquette in the pre-owned Ferrari business. The original poster said that the salesman was standoffish and discouraged a PPI. That was the salesman -- not you; and certainly not MMC in general. However, the salesman represents MMC, so he should be careful of what he says.

13. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I understand your point and I stated before in my first post that it would not be an issue for PPI and I was going to be intercepting the deal since the salesman that Kenny1022 was speaking with was and is not up to par with what we allow for an out of brand purchase at MMC. I am sorry if I sounded a little stern in my post towards you, it was not meant to sound that way. Anywho, there is not an issue with having a PPI done at MMC with the customer's own mechanic of choice or taking it elsewhere at their expense. I am sorry if my fellow co-worker is not up to snuff on their game but we are always trying to educate our sales staff (including myself) on all the brands that we sell (which if you look at our pre-owned dept it has grown a lot over the past year with many different brands from domestic to import, and exotic/luxury).

14. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    So...does the lemon law apply to used cars?

15. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    In NYS it is 30 days - why do you ask?