Torn - 360 or 575? | FerrariChat

Torn - 360 or 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kenny1022, Mar 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hey guys:

I'm pretty new to Ferrari's and am really excited at the possibility of owning one (used) except I'm torn as to which model to get. I narrowed it down to a 2003/2004 F575 Maranello or a 360 around the same year. I noticed the price is slightly lower for the Modena, all things equal, but other than that I can find pros for both models. I'm sure people have written countless articles on this subject but any help would be greatly appreciated. Does one model need less maintenance, more reliable? Also, does a stickshift instead of the F1 paddles add any value. I know that they are rarer and I saw a 360 sporting one.

Thanks!

Ken

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're very different cars: mid-engined sports car versus front-engined tourer.

Stick shift 575s are rare, so it would be more desirable, IMO, assuming you enjoy a manual gearbox. 360s were made in larger numbers than any Ferrari in history (16,000 or so), while the 575 was made in limited volumes. However, GT Ferraris don't hold value as well, so the bottom line is both models have some depreciating to do over the next 10 years or more.

I think you have to buy what puts the biggest smile on your face. I admit the 550/575 is far and away my favorite of Ferrari's modern designs (after 1990), although I would only buy one if I had a classic Ferrari sports car (e.g., Boxer or 328) in the other half of the garage just because the sole purpose of the car is nice weather weekend fun runs.

That said, a six-speed 575 in black metallic/tan would be pretty hard to pass up... ;)

3. TSSCI

TSSCI Karting

Sep 13, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sense from your posting that you have not driven either, and that is first thing you MUST do. I had a 550 then went to a 2003 360 6-speed and frankly hated it. It is a BEAUTIFUL car, but I found the performance uninspiring in terms of having to keep it WAAAAY up in the rev range for it to (a) sound like a Ferrari, and (b) to move like a supercar should. If you live in an area where you can drive like that - fine - but such is not the case in croweded Northern Virginia. As to handling, it (the 360) is an 'edgy' experience - boy racer type of thing. The 550 and 575's are true GT cars, with more creature comforts and effortless acceleration throughout the rev range. All of this means they are two very different driving experiences. Within the past year I also had a 2007 Porsche 997TT and admit to being torque addicted. I Just sold my 2004 575M 6-speed for a Mercedes CLKAMG63 Black Series because of the same torque addiction and for a more all-purpose ride. You NEED to start test driving.

4. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At this point I can only relate from a Porsche perspective. I own the 928's (as you probably figured based on my screen name) but I have driven many 911's over the years and a few Boxsters. While the 928 and 575/550 are technically GT cars they are POTENT track weapons! On an open track they will out run the "sports cars" from their respective makers. On a tighter course the mid engine cars with less power get the best of them. Are they less fun...I doubt it! In fact because they are so comfortable on the trip to and from the track as well as being so fun while ON the track, the GT cars probably get the overall nod.

If you want you can tighten them up a little bit more for track use w/o hurting the comfort side of the equation to much too. How much time are you really going to be on a back road or track where an ultra light strictly sports car will be the car of choice vs. using it for regular daily tasks and maybe even a long trip or two or 10??? You really have to answer that question for yourself.

As for looks, well, that is subjective as well, but I don't think there are many cars more attractive than a 360! The lines on that car are spectacular! I am not a huge fan of the 550/575 design though I do really like the 599 and the 456.

YMMV! Keep us posted! You really can't go wrong w/ a 550 or a 360 as long as you buy a good one!

James
    Austin, TX

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, we differ about 180 degrees on all matters of style. But, that's why we have the Internet...

6. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    You must drive the two but for me it's all about where you are in life. If you like being noticed and having a loud engine in your face, go with the 360. The girls love it and people will let you park infront of any restaurant/club without arguement. If you are low key and do not like the attention, the 575 is for you. Both are fast but the 575 is a true GT, it's a sophisticated vehicle. Unfortunately, most people will think the 575 is a mustang when your parked. The 575 is faster than you can imagine.

7. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So you prefer the 550/575's (and don't get me wrong, I don't DISLIKE them, just saying I find the 360 hard to beat in the style dept.) but are you saying that we disagree on the 599? I think that is quite and attractive car. What about the 456? How can you NOT like the 456?! ;)

Absolutely right about the internet and plenty of room for ALL tastes here!

Frankly I would not kick ANY Ferrari OR Porsche out of my garage!

James
    Austin, TX

8. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    As others have said, it is a matter of taste as to which style you prefer and more importantly it is which one you prefer to pilot. Pilot both and you will then know which to purchase. Don't forget, both are Ferrari's sculptured by the same craftsmen, you will not go wrong with your final decision.

9. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I've driven 360's and have owned a 355 and currently have 550, and love it. In my opinion it's not even close, the V8 cars are fun but their design is better suited to the track. In most cases on the street the 550 would be faster and more fun, plus the front engine design makes it more controlable on the street.

Stan

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, I find the 599 dull and ponderous looking -- we don't need a Ferrari anywhere near 2 tons curb weight. The Maserati GranTurismo and especially the Alfa 8C sealed my initial opinions. (I've seen multiple 599s and one GranTurismo in person.)

I can't warm up to the 360 front end -- someone called it an "ox yoke", and I can't describe it any better. The tail looks fine. The whole car looks a bit long, and the rear portion (especially the Spider) looks chunkier than I would like, as though it could have been more athletic.

The 456 is a handsome car. I can't say it drives me mad with car lust, but it's clean and elegant. I would be proud to drive one, in the way I like to wear a great navy worsted suit but wouldn't attend a fashion show to see other guys wearing one. (There, that clears it up... :rolleyes:)

That said, I appreciate the 599 and 360 for what they are -- amazing performance cars. In terms of style, though, I think Pininfarina really nailed it with the 550/575. The rear profile is potentially iconic, it's that good, and the headlamp/grille treatment up front is masterful. From the side, it has imposing rear haunches, simple and elegant door pulls and a nice sweeping fender line. It's one of those rare cars that is both muscular/masculine and pretty at the same time. Pininfarina's other two great post-1974 designs, the 328 and 355, are maybe more 'beautiful' but I wouldn't call them imposing in a 550/575 sense.

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    There's been a lot of focus here on the exterior design and aesthetic sensibilities. Even though the 456M is supposedly the most elegant design since the Berlinetta Lusso and I really like the way my car looks, what truly matters is how you feel behind the wheel doing the kind of driving you will be doing most often. Would a smaller cockpit not annoy you if you get more admiring glances and felt the hard edged thrill of country back road twisties on a Sunday morning in return? (the 360) or would prefer the luxury, low end torque and sense of alpha male dominance on the highway that comes with a GT (the 575)? The answer will only come from getting behind the wheel and taking EXTENDED test drives. Hint: more than an hour in a 360 can be more tiring than you'd expect. Whether it's a "good" tired depends on you. In all honesty, I have to admit that I'm pushing 64 years old and in my youth I had Abarth, Lotus and other hard-edge boy racer street cars, so I think age may also play into your decision. Have fun; you won't lose either way.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Some excellent advice here. I can also concur, as a 550 owner that the 550/575 is really a GT with a sporting edge. Just a great bruiser of a car: brutal in its subtlety, subtle in its brutality. The 360 is more frenetic, you wouldn't take it to the business meeting whereas you can with the 12-cylinder car.

I think it's not only what you like, but also what you buy the car for. I wanted a car for cross continental cruising and an understated stylish statement, albeit with a sporty edge. The 550 fits the bill perfectly, and the 575 would as well. Now that I'm looking at a second Ferrari, I want more of a raw experience for Sunday drives and a 360 could fit that bill nicely, were it not that I want something more classical (it'll probably be a Berlinetta Boxer or maybe a 328GTS).

Think about what you want, see if you can get a test drive (not that easy in my experience), and then make an informed decision. If anything, both decisions are unlikely to deliver anything but fun. They are both great, great cars. Let us know which way you're going to decide.

Onno

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    From what I see:

you are a big fan of the 928's which is low in price, 8cyl, four-seater, front engine car

What exactly about the 928 attracts you?

The 550/575 is MUCH more car in all terms and is not near any 928's except in ???? [you fill in the blanks, looks, power, ?]

The 360 seems NOT to fit your profile: why do you like that.

NOW, having said all that, once you drive a Ferrari, You will know better. All the above answers I see are good in advice.
    m2cnts

14. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    +1!

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I hope everyone won't jump on me for this. But here goes anyway: if you have difficulty getting a dealer to give you an extended 360 drive test experience, you might want to go to a Honda dealer or used car lot and try out an S2000. It will give you a taste of some of the 360 pros and cons that have been discussed here, albeit on a much lower level. If you have a negative reaction to all aspects of the experience (especially after having lived with a 928), the 360 might not be for you.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Have you driven both for this note? Not a slam, but interested.

You should be able to get a good drive on either. Not all dealers are that inclinded to refuse a drive. Getting to know the dealer is a good way of getting a drive.

Before my first ferrari, I got to know a dealer who let me drive a few....He was of course looking for a sale, but I wasn't leading him on either and he knew that.

get 'friendly'

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd expect some jumping. ;)

18. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think you got me mixed up w/ the OP (or maybe you were just addressing me instead). I do like 928's and I do like 575's (599 more though) and since the 928 was the top of the model range (over $90k starting in '92) during its day as was the 550/575 in their days, they do share the fact that they both cost a lot to maintain (though I suspect a 928 would be quite a bit cheaper because more were built so there are more new and used parts to choose from). Both have plenty of room inside and quite a bit of Tq. They both have pretty long fronts and short rears...

SOOO, by my count they actually have MUCH in common. Both were THE BEST GT cars of their day too! I suspect (and from what I have seen it is true) the Porsche has MUCH better build quality as well as design integration and ergonomics. The thing the Porsche lacks is a Prancing Horse on the hood and SF shields on the front fenders!! That I might add, is worth A LOT! At least to me and probably everyone else here!

On the 360 front, it does not meet my needs mostly because there is no room for a wheelchair, but I think the shape of the car and the sound of it at full chat are spectacular! Add room for a wheelchair and a depreciation curve that matches a 550 and I would go that route more than likely in the future. For now, I am only looking at 400i's. They are even more GT and less sport than a 928... I would prefer to go more sport (ie. 575), but no way I can afford that jump at this point. I'll start with a 400i and go from there...probably next up will be a 456.

Best to you all! Loving the forum here!

James
    Austin, TX

19. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I think that the sportiness of the 550 is being underrated, the car is one second behing a 360 on the Fiorano track, but I believe in the hands of an average driver the 550 would be faster. On the steet I believe it's even better. On my car I changed the springs and added spacer along with Tubi, X pipe, hi-flow filters and the car is amazingly agile and fast.

20. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    430 anyone?

21. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL. Nope. "Ignorant as a tree stump" Just tried to get a bit imaginative. Both have stark, purposeful cockpits, great traction, high revving engines, stiff chassis and suspension, etc. I also hedged by saying that it was only a small taste. The guy's been driving a 928 after all. Even a late model 928 with the Weissach suspension isn't going to feel anything like either roadster.

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    small nibbles are all it takes ;)

not sure of your needs in wheelchairs, but even a sport model cannot fit in any newer Ferrari that I know to include [which I believe you would fall in LOVE for ] the 456 models. EVEN with detaching the wheels etc.

the 400i is a great model to get with for such needs and sometimes is greatly overlooked.

tempting for me too.

23. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    back to the original question. i have owned both cars and currently have a standard 6 speed 575M. i would agree that you need to take a drive in both before coming to a conclusion.
    the 360 is a more aggressive trackable car and i have done that a few times. it is loud and more in your face. the 575 is more of a long trip cruising car, but dont get me wrong it will throw you back in the seat when you get on it!! straight line speed is faster but i wouldnt track it. it also has a more refined and subtle sound and look. people still notice that it is something special but they arent trying to race you in heavy traffic like they did in my 360.
    both are fabulous machines but i traded the 360 in to get the 575 because i recently found an 05 NSX that i couldnt pass up and i can always track it if i get the urge

email me if you need more info
    [email protected]

24. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    thanks f355Red for getting us back on track...

To be true, this is not an impartial group. This is the 456/550/575 forum for a reason. We are pretty fond of these cars. That said, I particularly agree with the comments of those indicating that the right choice for you is around (1) where you are in your life; (2) what you want to get out of the F-car owning experience; and (3) how you will use the car.

Beyond that (styling discussions, driving personality, etc) is all subjective.

I also hope you have posed the same question in the 360 forum. I am sure their biases are just as obvious toward the 360. Between what you read here and in that forum, you will cull the important stuff and reach a reasonable conclusion for yourself.

Best of luck.

ketel

25. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks guys for the help and advice. I had some time to ponder some of the thoughts you posed and I agree that a test drive is a must. The 360 I am looking at, in particular, happens to be from a certified dealership (F of NE) so I'm assuming they won't give me too much hassle for a test drive.

Personally, I'm looking for something that will put a grin on my face when I come home from work even when I'm not driving it. I'm turning 30 this year, achieved a modest amount of success and am definitely past the wild and crazy stage of my life. Then again, I sold my 2005 911 because it lacked the appeal I was hoping for in a sports car. Also, I figured since I wasn't driving it every day or anywhere near that, I could get something more exotic to match my driving habits (as you guys know, Porsche's are famous for being an every day sports car). What I loved about the 911 was not so much its poshness but its performance, stiff suspension as well as shifting gears manually. I admit the 575 is truly a beautiful car and in many ways the antithesis of the 360. One is subtle and refine while the other is aggressive and loud.

With all things in mind, I think I'm leaning towards the 360 manual six-speed, a brave and/or stupid thing to say in a 575 room I know. I understand that the F1 is known to convert even the most die hard stick driver but I had a Maserati Cambiocorsa Coupe and think I have an idea what the F1 is like (hopefully). The 575 did draw me in initially but I realized it was for reasons not really mentioned in previous replies. It was its V12 and 500+ horses that truly caught my attention. Ultimately, I think I'm looking for a racer more than a cruiser.

Thanks again for all the advice. It was truly helpful. I'll keep you posted with what I ultimately decide. After all, my decision my change after a test drive or two.

Cheers.