Ferrari confirms new Dino | FerrariChat

Ferrari confirms new Dino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RichardCH, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :eek:...........4000 units, a mass production Ferrari :(.

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Ferrari becomes Porsche

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Posers rejoice..

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

They need to get their info straight. If this is true the car won't sell.

"The car is set to go on sale for similar money to the F430 Scuderia and will give the brand a direct rival to the Aston Martin DB9."

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL. Priced the same as the Scuderia? Yeah right!

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    my understanding was the car was to sell similar price to the 430 coupe.....

7. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Since when was the DB9 265k? Probably talking about the upcoming DBS.

8. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I read someplace the target price was $180K.

Steve

9. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    My guess is that Ferrari might just bump the price up for the F430 replacement to make this new model seem more affordable. Think about it! :D

10. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    I think that we could safely assume that the price would be closer to the current 430 than the Scuderia. These early reports have never been that accurate. Some Fchatters on this board appeared to have more details. It also seems to me that the real competitor is the MB SL65, another hardtop convertible, which is somewhat more durable than the ragtops such as the DB9 convertible.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Does the world need, or want, a Ferrari SLK?

12. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Probably not, however, I suspect that Ferrari believes that they're leaving money on the table if they didn't.

sting

13. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    A potential output of 10k units per year (vs the actual 6k) is hardly comparable to Porsche's 100k+ (and rising)...

Ferrari doesn't, and won't make an SUVs, sedans and whatnot unlike Porsche.

...and at the F430's price level it will be hard to call the 'f149' a 'poor man's Ferrari'.

Given the size of the growing market for exotics in the world, I find Ferrari's decision to step-up production more than understandable...and at 4k a year I doubt you'll see F149s round the corner all the time. I'm sure that Ferrari gives great importance to the mythical aura that its cars possess and I honestly doubt that it would do anything to kill the myth it has created. On the other hand, Porsche just wants to make profit...even if it meant selling twin-turbo shopping trolleys. So, IMVHO, saying that Ferrari is in the process of turning into another Porsche for an increase in production and a fourth model is exaggerating a bit.

Carlo

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Actually it was the profile and the hard top convertible that reminded me of the SLK visually. At the price and production levels mentioned it will, by no means, be a mass market item. Given the new facilities at Ferrari I can't see them outsourceing production to Pininfarina. In my opinion that would really devalue the marque.

15. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    True.......my understanding it will be below US$200k.

16. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Saw this one coming. But it isn't as bad as the Segway, Laptop, Binocuars, 15 different 'limited' editions of the 612, denouncing after market exhausts and the theme park.

Maybe it's just me but those things I mentioned seem a bit above and beyond in the greed department. I don't exactly understand it I guess. Don't get me wrong I am as big a Ferrari fan as anyone. It's just become over the top.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Could be a thread in itself "Has Ferrari "jumped the shark?".

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I see this car as more of a Mondial replacement. Mondials never reached the sales numbers they expected. 456's and 612's aren't hot sellers either. I'm struggling to see where the market for this car would be at prices approaching 200K but, for now, I'll concede the jury is out and I'm sure Ferrari studied the potential market for this car before moving ahead.

Dave

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Damn!

Ferrari was the last holdout of the major premium brands that didn't sell a car unworthy of the marque or at least lowered it's status. This car changes that IMO.

By not making a lesser car like all the other major premium brands (aston martin,bently, Lambo, Porsche etc.) Ferrari's status actualy rose a bit. Now their playing the same game of dilute the brand image for a few bucks.

Just my thoughts

20. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    Heading down hill................What a shame. I remember walking into my local Porsche dealer back in the day and there they were a handful of 993 and thats it, now its like a Toyota dealership and seems to me like Ferrari may be going down that path (future post might read like this : Rumor of Ferrari SAV and following with a Challenge Edition)...just my two cents.

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #22 Mark(study), Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. p.roma

p.roma Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    Back in the day when Porsche dealers only had a few 993's laying around? That's maybe because there wasn't much coming out of the factory due to P almost going bankrupt (the US arm at the very least).

In any case, how does anyone judge a $200,000 car to be a 'lesser' vehicle or dilute the brand? Wait times for new vehicles from Ferrari are already up to 3 + years, and (most) everyone here thinks that after next year they'll be as common as a Toyota?? Seems to me that the factory is just filling out a profitable niche in which they see room for a new F car - I hardly doubt they're going to deliver anything but a dynamically superb sports car, especially with the rumoured 500 bhp. I for one am both happy and excited, just another new trinket to spice up the wishlist.

The End.

Ps - I do agree about the Segway, Themepark, laptop and 15 versions of the 612, not even 'your' worst case scenario Porsche has a themepark. And guys are complaining about a new DINO!!! sheesh

Okay, I'm actually done now.

The End Part Deux.

23. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I do! :D

24. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Its still a business and at the end of the day they still have to earn the benjamins! I would rather see Ferrari build cars such as the new Dino rather than suffer an unthinkable fate. Not that they're in any financial troubles (that I know about) but it seems that serving another type of market (the SLK/Z4/boxster types) would generate more income for the brand. Its a lot like when sushi wasn't mainstream (yet), people shunned the idea of eating raw fish! Now everyone and they're mother is into it.