Forbes: world's billionaire capital | FerrariChat

Forbes: world's billionaire capital

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mushtandroid, Mar 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mushtandroid

mushtandroid Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    NEW YORK, March 6 (RIA Novosti) - Moscow now has 74 billionaires with average wealth of $5.9 bln, placing it above New York, Forbes Magazine said in its annual rich list published on Thursday.

According to the list, New York has 71 billionaires, followed by London with 36, Istanbul with 34, and Hong Kong with 30.

Russia is second only to the United States in the number of its super-rich. An additional 35 Russians have crossed the $1 bln mark in the past year, helped along by the continued rise of the ruble against the dollar.

"Sixteen years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia, with 87 billionaires, is the new No. 2 country behind the U.S., easily overtaking Germany, with 59 billionaires, which held the honour for six years," said Forbes associate editor Luisa Kroll.

The Unites States accounts for 469 (42%) of the world's billionaires.

Topping the list of Russia's billionaires is Oleg Deripaska with $28 bln, placing him ninth in the world, ahead of the more famous Roman Abramovich with $23.5 bln, in 15th place.

Deripaska's holding company Basic Element owns huge assets in insurance, auto manufacture, and aluminum, while Abramovich, since selling his oil company Sibneft to Russian state-controlled gas giant Gazprom in 2005, has bought up steel and mining assets. He also owns Chelsea Football Club.

Russia's richest woman remains Elena Baturina, the 45-year-old second wife of Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, 71. Forbes estimates that she has added $1.1 bln to her personal wealth in the past year, bringing it up to $4.2 bln and putting her in 253rd place globally.

Baturina founded Inteko in 1991, which became Moscow's largest construction firm in the years after her husband became mayor. In late 2006 she sued the Russian edition of Forbes over a cover story.

The world's richest man this year is U.S. investor and philanthropist Warren Buffet, ousting his friend Bill Gates from the top spot, which the Microsoft founder had held for 13 years. The two reportedly play regular games of online bridge together, and Buffet has pledged most of his wealth to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity focused on healthcare improvement and poverty reduction.

Buffet's wealth has shot up to $62 bln with the stock growth of his holding Berkshire Hathaway, while Gates is now worth $58 bln, $2 bln more than last year, putting him in third place. In second place is Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim with an estimated $60 bln.

P.S. How about 200$/barrel ? :D :D

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    ....and Bill Gates has probably given away more of his wealth than the rest of the top 100 combined!

3. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    +2

on a second note.. just wondering.. if there are any laws against this oil dudes.. raising the prices... we all know,there is still oil.. for it to rise to 104/106 is mad!!!

And the oil producers are enjoying themselves. when in some countries... ppl dont even have enough money to even afford GAS... hope there would be some law against them... something like what microsoft is always getting into trouble for!!..

I dont work for microsoft.. or have any dealing with them.. hehe.. but i am doing some work related to oil!

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    we need more ppl like Warren and Bill. who want to help humanity..

Peace.

5. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    Fun fact: while working at MCI/Verizon, I learned that Carlos Slim was the guy who sold his shares in MCI to Verizon for that merger to occur. :)

Also, his real name is Saleem, as he is of Lebanese descent.

~shahedc

6. mushtandroid

mushtandroid Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Bill gates and Buffet - anything from itself do not present.
    Any fool can work and become all life rich.
    Our oligarches have grown rich for 1-2 years, owing to their brains.
    If you want to know about REALLY the richest and Ingeniously people- there are only two in the world: Putin and Berezovskiy

7. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    ... this does not make any sense...

Really? Then why isn't everyone in the world rich?

umm ok... did you mean that it took them 2 years to get rich? Or that they've only been rich for the past 2 years?

I won't argue against your opinion, but surely you can't honestly believe that only 2 people fit the description of richest and "Ingeniously" ?

BTW, I did a search on Berezovskiy and found this:

Berezovskiy's Financial Dealings Examined.
    http://home.swipnet.se/~w-10652/beremoney.html

An excerpt:
    In conclusion, let me say that the Moscow correspondent of the solid Neues Zuricher Zeitung studied Boris Berezovskiy's life and career for a long time, and came to an interesting conclusion: "This is a man who, as no one else, represents a typical Moscow wheeler-dealer."

~shahedc

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wonder if Bill and Warren ever give a $20 to the guy on the street corner wanting a 40oz?

9. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    He made about $700m in just a few months... not bad at all

10. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Warren Buffett is now the world's richest person, with Carlos Slim at number 2.
    Bill Gates has fallen to number 3 (oh no).

11. icanfly012

icanfly012 Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    I bet Carlos Slim is pissed that he is not number one. Warren Buffet being number one was kind of a surprise to me.

12. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Wow, Ikea guy is down to #7 now.

I wonder how long buffet will hold it if the market continues to drop.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No. They probably don't even know what a $20 bill is. Too small of a number for them to waste their time on. :)

14. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    If Sam Walton was still alive he would make these guys look like welfare mom's, he would be worth over $130 billion!

15. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is there in Russia that allows folks to make so much money? Oil? Businesses the equivalent of our Microsoft, Verizon, and so forth?

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Oil, telecommunications, construction, etc.

My co-worker's grandfather has some stem cell lab in Russia where they preserve umbilical chords that can be used later in life. I think the service is $10,000 a child and he does about $100 million in revenue a year. Lot of rich people I suppose...

17. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    LOL. Four Indians in the top ten and 2 in the top 5. That's awesome. Last year there was some news that Mukesh Ambani had a net worth of $63.5 Billion but I guess your assets fluctuate! :D

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    In one year.

Man, I'm sooo tired of people like you.
    Economics 101 - If people didn't want it, the price would show that. The people that drive the price up are the bidders in the pits at NYMEX - and they are NOT going to bid it up unless they can sell it (at that price).

Also, as I have asked dozens of times, where were you when oil was 10/bbl and companies were shutting wells and laying off thousands of workers because nobody was buying oil ? And also, as I have disclosed on here, I mad A LOT of money when oil was 10/bbl because I KNEW it would not stay there. Didn't you ? And I don't apologize for it nor do I regret it, that's why we have a free market system, so ordinary chumps like me can do a little bit of research and make money.

19. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yeah, well, he's not.

If JD Rockefeller were still alive, he would own about 30% of the USA. And he'd be about 169 yrs old.
    He was worth an estimated 318 BILLION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_wealthy_historical_figures

20. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah, Sam was a f'n genius. I'm gonna take over his company someday :D

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    And as I have answered dozens of times, I was at the gas station, pumping gas into my truck at the highest price that the oil company could gouge from the consumer. They never charge a penny less than they can possibly get away with. As before,....when have you ever seen a 30% OFF sign at a gas station? Never,....because they ALWAYS gouge the consumer for as much as they can possibly get away with.

22. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
  23. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oil is that price now, because it is pegged to the American dollar which, as you know, is not doing that well right now. Investors also want a safer option to put their money, so they are investing in commodities.

24. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Its called Tax Credit! Do you seriously think these people really care about other humans!? Bill is probably in the middle of a "Robot Project" that would compete with (and eventually take over) most of the human jobs that we know of! :D

25. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I doubt their feet even touches the ground! I heard they were carried around in one of those "Cleopatra" thingy with the two poles and the guys carrying them on either sides.... :D :D :D