CV Boot Replacement | FerrariChat

CV Boot Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rv5, Mar 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    So it turns out I do have a torn CV boot. I hear theres a direct porsche/vew replacement? Does anyone have a part number and/or a good place to buy it from? I did a quick search but didnt find any specifics
    thanks guys

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I picked mine up from Partsource in Maine. They are not every expensive. Ricambi America and T. Rutland also carry them. The afternmarket variety are not very expensive. If you check the parts cross-reference sticky in this section, there is probably a parts number listed the for them from NAPA.

Do yourself a favor -- when you are changing the boot, since you'll have the shafts out anyway, be sure to clean the CV joints up really well and repack them with some good, synthetic CV joint grease. Buy one of those bearing packing cone sets. They are cheap, but make repacking the bearings so much easier. I bought the grease cartridges that fit into my grease gun, and it made the job a lot easier, though it is still one of those PITA messy jobs.

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    So what would you use, like a SWEPCO Moly Lube???

JIM

4. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    any other input? id like to make a purchase asap

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  6. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    I did mine on my 328 last winter....wasn't too bad, just messy.

There is a great link that I'll try to dig up with pictures and hints.

I purchased a full package with boots, grease and the metal ties to secure the boot (can't remember their exact name) from Dennis McCann ferrari parts.

7. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
  8. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
  9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Ross,

There are a lot of threads out there, sharing the agony of "the boot replacement". Many good tips and helpfull suggestions from guys that have done that.

I bought a kit from Dennis McCann for about $60, boots, grease and straps. Good price back then.

Subsequently, while doing the job, i bought a great steel band installing tool from Napa, along with new stainless straps, much superior to the stock stuff.

I recall nearly all posters mentioning that the allen bolts are likely to be seriously difficult to remove, and they were. I got like 90 degrees of twist on a 3/8 extension while trying to break some bolts loose. This winds up often causes some blood letting when things let go, so I recommend getting a good 1/2 extension, so you can stand outside the fender to use the breaker bar to bust them loose, Further, it is important to clean all of the accumulated crud out of the in hex recess, so you can get a goood bite on the cv bolt. Others have suggested that you buy a really good quality hex bit, (like Snapon), so you don't round off the tool or bugger the bolt, which can lead to more difficult removal.

Once broken loose, you can use various extendions, universals and ratchets to remove the bolt.

I would recommend having a couple of replacemnet bolts at hand, some of them are hard to get out some inhex ware. The porper size is 10 MM bolt with 1.25 thread pitch and 65 MM long.

A screwdriver stuffed in the brake disc vent passages does a great job locking the rotation of the axle assembly and allows you to easily rotate the assembly while you are lying comfortably on your back, under the car.

Once you have assembled the boot and greasy cv joint, it is a good idea to slip a plastic sandwich baggie over the units so you can maneuver it into place with a minimum of greasing everything else and avoiding contamination of the greased joint. Just prior to installing the joint, slip the baggie off and you are all set to mate up the cv to the flange.

This proceedure is at best messy and anything we can do to avoid the spread of the moly is a good thing.

Double check the final tightnesss of all bolts. This is a very higly stressed bit of the power train.

Do a thread search for CV joints and you will pick up a lot of helpfull tips.

hth,
    chris

10. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    What he said, I bought a 3/8 allen at Harbor Freight, it broke on the first bolt, I didn't have access to a Snap-On dealer and bought one at Sears, it worked well. One other note, if you have or damage one of the bolts, I had one bad one, you will need a pnumatic grinder with a cutoff wheel to get it out of there.

Doug

11. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    Yeah, the CV bolts were tough at first....but I prepped them with a bit of liquid wrench for a few days and no problems. I also replaced all of them during the rebuild. Found replacements reasonably at Tacoma Nut & Bolt.

12. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I don't know about your car, but mine had sufficient oils all over them.
    Not saying I have any leaks, but the bolts were well lubricated

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Damn, Doug,

You are alucky guy, now they won't rust.

best,
    chris

ps, sometimes, i think i ran over an oil well

14. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    In some areas they call it "Rust Preventitive"

Unless the car is a Jag, then it's "the external lubricating system"

15. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    I HIGHLY, highly, highly recommend using latex or nitrile gloves and change them often.

For weeks after the rebuild I was finding smudges of the CV joint grease ALL over my house and garage even with frequent glove changes....that stuff is tenacious.

Keyboard....refrigerator....lightswitches...doorknobs...

It never failed, to be on the way out the door in the morning, find a hidden bit o' grease and immediately add it to my wardrobe for the day.

16. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    A question about the bolts. The size and thread was listed but is there a hardness rating these bolts should meet?

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  19. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I had to buy 3 or 4 replacements and got them from Rutlands. The price wasn't that bad, and it beat having to locate something that was close enough to work and then the fear of a failure.

Doug

20. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Hahahahahahahahaha. Describes my car perfectly.
    :):):):):):)

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Sometimes I think I NEED an oil well to keep the Ferrari running. ;)

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Also, don't "overstuff" them with grease. There is documentation around that suggest they need 140g each. Its wrong, it should be 100G (as documented elsewhere!)