Modena - Which transmission do you prefer? | FerrariChat

Modena - Which transmission do you prefer?

Discussion in '360/430' started by kenny1022, Mar 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    2 questions:

1. What do you recommend/prefer on the 360 - manual or F1 paddles? I know beauty is to the beholder but opinions desperately welcome. The car I sadly just parted with was a 911 manual but before that I had the Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (F1 Paddles).
    2. Resale - what do you think holds its value better? My guess is they made more 360s with the paddles than stick, but could the manual Modena go the way of the Maserati Coupes?

Thanks,

K.

2. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I prefer people use the "search" function, this question has been asked several times :)

With that being said, choose which you like better. There appears to be a small if not non-existent premium for F1 versus manual. In terms of resales, I've seen F1's usually sell faster. Perhaps that's why Ferrari made more of them... I'm sure they factored in demand.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

While you are at it search "timing belts" as well.

4. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    Maybe a search for "red 360" too. Although I think it might be a new topic, so we might need a new thread.

For the record, welcome to Fchat Kenny. You've chosen the right car to do research on. You'll love it once you get it...

5. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As for the transmission, it really comes down to what you like best, and how you drive...Many say the F1 is jerky and shifts hard while other like to just use the paddles and want to not have to deal with a clutch ..some realities are that in a F1 there may be some added clutch ware, but can be checked with ease during your PPI. With manual many people have seen longer clutch life, not to say that the manual is better...

As for resale value...like Porsche, in the secondary market, the buyer are normally drivers. When looking at a car pre-owned the manuals do normally sell faster, depending on the car being a Spider or a coupe...it seems in a coupe the manual will sell better where in a spider the F1's do better. Some dealer and a few here will tell you that a F1 will bring around $5k-$10k more but not in trade and not retail money pre-owned...Lamborghini dealers will tell you the same thing about Egear vs manual, as well as there Ferraris they have had instock...

Now as for my views...I do like the F1, but I also like the feel of shifting the manual...to me it is the way it should be! A proper transmission in a proper car...I have both instock, and when given the chance to drive, I always take the manual...like I said it comes down to what you like, and how you are going to drive...

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I definitely prefer the manual, but the market seems to value the F1 a little more. In the distant future I think the manual will be more expensive as they are less common and should cost less to own in the long run, as well as having a nostalgic quality say in 25 years or so.
    BT

7. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I gathered information like this on 360s for over a year before buying an ’02 coupe recently. I decided on F1 and have been thrilled ever since. It’s a fantastic car in many ways and the F1 transmission is one of them. A few observations/opinions formed during my homework were:

1. Just over 80% of all 360s were ordered with F1. Ferrari did not make that decision – it was dictated by customer preference.
    2. Inherently longer clutch wear for the manual is a myth. Both transmissions allow abuse and reward careful driving technique so overall clutch life is about the same under the same conditions.
    3. There was a major F1 upgrade with the ’02 model year involving a new TCU and new software. The difference between’99-’01 and ’02-later cars is quite noticeable.
    4. The smoothness and consistency of my ’02 F1 is astonishing. It is my opinion that people who claim the F1 is “jerky” have not driven an ’02 or later Ferrari. The BMW SMGs, Masseratis and Lambo E-gears I have driven can be described that way, but not my car.
    5. Resale values seem to favor the F1.

I totally agree with everyone else that it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Drive both and get the one you like best.

8. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I was 100% a manual fan, until I tried the F1 on a twisty road. A manual may be a "driver's" car, but an F1 certainly makes it easier to be a "racer" :) It's just easier to drive faster when I have both hands on the wheel. I'm sure that's a big reason why Formula 1 cars aren't manual.

As for being twitchy, I had my 99 F1 transmission upgraded to the 02+ version. It's not jerky at all in sport mode. Also, I've noticed that the shift speed is dependent on RPM's. If you're over 7.5k RPM's, it's almost instantaneous (no loss in acceleration). If you shift at 4k RPM's, the shifts are slower.

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I really liked the F1 tranny on my 360, but I love the F1 tranny on my 430, especially in race mode.

I, too, have had a long list of manual cars (mostly 911 Turbos) and they're fantastic, but I really like the difference the F1 provides. Nothing is cooler than using the paddles to up/down shift on the windy roads we have here in NorCal.

The sounds the car makes as you shift up and down are epic... rev-matching is just perfect.

I'll always have manual cars in my garage (my daily driver is a 6-speed 993 cab), but my Ferraris will always be F1.

In the end, the choice is yours. You've driven both, so you know.

Lastly Ferrari made more F1 360/430 cars, so if you go this way, you'll have a much broader set of choices.

Frank

10. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    F1 Son!

11. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    +1. My 996 turbo was great via 6spd. My buddy's 996 turbo is tiptronic, and is very slow much like that of the M3 SMG. Even my Gallardo e-gear felt sluggish. The Ferrari F1 shifts faster than any I've tried/owned so far.

I picked up a 360 to see what all the Ferrari hype was all about (I couldn't figure out why anyone would pay a lot for a relatively slow car for the money). I've been nothing but pleased so far with the handling and racing heritage Ferrari has been famous for. I wouldn't turn down more HP, though :)

12. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Manual Son!

Original poster: see, there's the problem with asking such a subjective question.... you're going to get both opinions and very little info on how to base your final decision.
    When you do your search of this topic, you will see that time and time again ppl are going to say "drive both yourself and then decide what you like best".

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    360= Manual
    430=F1

14. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    F1 with sport mode on..... son :)

15. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    manual son. Heel and toe son (big puffing of pipe), when I were a lad ............... fade to snooze

16. Andy T

Andy T Karting

May 31, 2004
    Sheffield - England
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The critical thing about the F1 transmission is that it has to be set up correctly. When I bought mine it was abysmal - I have now had the clutch set up by an expert and it is a different car. The difference between one set up properly and a poor one cannot be over stated.

Andy

17. brainbizz

brainbizz Karting

Oct 27, 2006
    OK
    Have a 04 360 manual and a CS. Definitely prefer the manual in a regular 360.

18. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I love the F1. Set up correctly and it works great. Both of my cars are F1 and once you know how to drive them "drive them like a stick" they are very smooth even in heavy traffic.
    I drive my cars alot, even business trips to the LA area, lots of heavy traffic, very smooth. Then when you want to all the perfect red line shifts you want.Also, I have never had a problem with either car.

You still need to go with your personal preference though.

19. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    +1 on driving the F1 like a manual. At first, I would try and accelerate by pressing the throttle with constant increasing pressure evenly like the instructions say. I find that by varying pressure, similar to how you modulate the clutch on a manual, I can take off very smoothly even in city traffic.