Fire Extingushers | FerrariChat

Fire Extingushers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Vintage V12, Mar 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Anyone have a recomendation. I have been looking at the H3R Hal Guard, model HTR-HG250R from Summit Racing for 120 bucks. Thank you.

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  3. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Speaking as someone who lives downunder, near the annual hole in the ozone layer, the less Halon extinguishers about the place the better! :)

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    They're standard equipment on every airliner in the world. Why? Because they work.

I've watched while 2 guys emptied dry powder extinguishers onto an engine oil fire in a rally car, it still burned to the ground.

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Halon has been band in the UK for about 5 years as they are not ozone friendly,[i still have one in my house as they are good for small fires with no mess]. They not much use for an engine fire not unless you can keep the front bonnet closed as they work by removing the oxygen, [don't get stuck in computer room with these suckers], AFFF [aqueous film forming foam]will do the same thing by forming a film over everything, this is what the airport fire tenders use. I have to agree with Ian Dry powder is rubbish.

I was a Retained Fire Fighter for 20 years and for about 10 of those years we could instantly use AFFF though the small hose's, and i have to say in was great, but this was also taken off the fire appliance's as it was also deemed as not good for the environment, we could still use it but it took a while to set up, and only through the large hose.

6. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    The unit I had mentioned H3R is not Halon. It is a replacement for Halon that is better for the enviorment. H3R.com

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I bought Halotron. Unlike Halon, it's not environmentally unfriendly, and is thus readily avalaible.