home/custom exhausts | FerrariChat

home/custom exhausts

Discussion in '308/328' started by jbrosseau, Mar 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    hey guys,

have a 79' 308 and i am playing with the idea of a home made exhaust for her...want something that sounds like a ferrari. loud and vocal but not high pitched. something like a old open piped 12cyl race car.

what have some of you guys seen or built?

thanks

2. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    You can bend all the tubes in the world but I don't think you're going to get an 8cyl to sound like a 12cyl any more than you could make a 12cyl sound like an 8cyl. The exhaust system is only one part of the big equation that makes an engine sound the way it does.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    To an extent, yes, but there are sound differences amongst the many different manufacturer's systems out there!

Joe, you may remember me and my 308 GT4 at one of the Seattle shows. I have a Borla system on my car. If you can get your hands on one (not made anymore so you'll have to buy used), do it! The other Northwest guys will attest to the unique sound of my car (even other 308 GT4 owners notice the difference). It's very loud when you step on it and quite throaty.

4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Yes, of course there are sound differences but you're not going to be able to make an 8 sound like a 12. I'm not talking about loudness or throatiness. Loudness is easy to achieve on any engine. People believe there are exhaust systems that can make their car sound just like an F1 car. First you need to add an engine that redlines around 19,000rpm. Sure there are exhaust systems that can make it sound a bit more F1-ish and the high speed paddle shifters (very quick shifts) certainly add to that F1 type sound.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It is quite straightforward and inexpensive to construct an exhaust system with good performance and sound keeping a few general principles in mind.
    Any good racing shop can fabricate a cat-back or header flange back exhaust with little difficulty, and a wide variety of mufflers with different sound types are available, notably from Magnaflow, Dynomax and others.
    There are many opinions on this with as many threads with details, but I'd suggest separate Ferrarichat searchs using the single words: Dynomax, Magnaflow and Flowmaster.
    You will be reading a while, and there are some good photos.
    Good luck and have fun.

6. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    I have what you want sitting in my garage in full stainless it was called the "KERMIT" exhaust LOUD and VOCAL, bolts directly to the header flange.

randy

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  8. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau

i understand the dynamic of exhausts to a extent, and i know the difference between the sounds of a 8 and 12.

what i meant was when you listen to a old carbed 12 cylinder at idel you can just about pick out each individual cylinder fire.

i am not a fan of the modern whine and higher pitched sounds that come from the FI cars.

i hope this give you a better idea

9. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau

thank you sir

10. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa