Engine pic | FerrariChat

Engine pic

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigdreamer, Mar 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigdreamer

bigdreamer Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Wash. DC area
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #1 bigdreamer, Mar 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo a seller sent me of his Qv engine. Does it look good? Anything missing. I believe its an '85. The car is a driver with high miles but it has an upgraded radiator for those summers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Mar 9, 2008
    It's a euro version living in the US with papers but no actual US modifications (no air injection, no Lambda, no cat, etc.)?

Can't give the cosmetics very high marks (i.e., I'd deduct the cost/hassle to at least refinish the plenum and maybe for the spark plug wire brackets and covers for the distributors -- JMO) -- here's a better condition 308QV euro engine for comparison:

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I can't tell if that is a u.s. or a euro how did you ? It looks alot like mine (85qv u.s.)

4. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    look at the angle of the coils. US cars are pointing down. Also no air tubes down by the exhaust manifold. And no lambda on the TB.... as Enzo intended. :)

5. bigdreamer

bigdreamer Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Wash. DC area
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It probably won't pass emissions but it being almost 25yrs old would it even matter with it being a euro? Most states now exempt cars that are 25yrs or older; in CA its 30. The seller says he didn't register it. What about these euro qv?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Mar 9, 2008
    For me, the lack of a frequency valve/pulsation damper (item C in this '85 US version 308QV engine jpeg) and no air injection stuff says "euro" pretty clearly.

Read /check the OMs. The figures in section 3 (for the K/KE-Jet models) can really help you understand what injection, ignition, exhaust, and emission equipment you should have on your particular year/version/model F. IME, the WSMs aren't updated for every year, nor do they include everything for every version, and much of the most accurate technical information is only in the correct corresponding OM.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't say I exactly understand the comment "...The seller didn't register it..." as that would make it unusable on public roads in any state AFAIK. IMO, a euro without US papers isn't doable without hassle in the US (unless you want to put it in your basement ;)). I would agree, that in some places in the US, you can get away with a euro with US papers even if it really doesn't have any US mods, but it does limit your market on resale. For example, I'm not sure about the CA stuff you mention -- maybe things have changed, but I thought they never really (or haven't yet) allowed the 30-year rolling thing and are still stuck at a certain year (pre-'75?). Regardless, understanding your emission situation and the actual configuration of the car (papers plus hardware) is a must if you are considering a non-US version in the US -- JMO.

Like you say, it's a driver, and, if you can get around the emission stuff without much hassle, why not enjoy a 308QV. But even if you are already at a driver price, I think you should still press the Seller for a discount for at least the cost of a Hyper-flow cat (if it is catless) -- even if you won't/can't install it.

8. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    "It's a euro version living in the US with papers but no actual US modifications (no air injection, no Lambda, no cat, etc.)?"

I have an 85 also, I don't think they dont have an air pump, (air injection)
    By the way, you can detail my engine anytime!
    Your looks increadable!

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    '84-'85 US 308QV don't have an air pump, but they still have a (pulse-based) air injection system (that only operates during cold-running).

Can't take the credit for that -- not mine -- posted by a fellow FChatter in the past.

10. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Back to the OP, the engine of course is dirty. However, while its hard to tell, it does look like at least some of the hoses have been replaced for modern hoses AND it appears to have the correct Baldwin oil filter. Decent signs the owner is at least somewhat knowledgable.

As far as US versus Euro, the VIN should easily identify if its a euro "B" rather than a North American "A". Also, aren't the coils different on the Euro's?

James in Denver

11. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Where does the "pulse based" air come from? It's not belt driven, I have a 3 belt motor, one for the water pump, one for the alternator and the last for the AC. is it on the back of the engine?

I have seen what looks like an air injection feed manifold, it hasn't broken yet so I have no idea what it hooks too

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Mar 10, 2008
    See pages 73 and 74 in your 307/84 OM.

The fresh air is drawn into the exhaust stream by the moving "pulse" of exhaust gas -- no pump.

Items B and C for the 1-4 bank shown in Figure 65 can be seen in that US version jpeg posted earlier.

13. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    when I was looking to buy I asked the dmv here in calif,and there is no rolling 30 years,I belive 77 or earlier is exempt

14. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Does anyone know if this 1977 fixed date will change anytime soon? I've got an '83 QV "pure" Euro here with WA plates (my son lives there) that I have to drive around Los Angeles with one eye looking over my shoulder. In Washington (and maybe the other 47 states) it's totally compliant.

Bob R.

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    It is 1975 MY and earlier in CA and it does not currently move forward, it is stuck there. And I believe it will be stuck there for a while.

16. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    #16 Testarossa13, Mar 24, 2008
  17. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Looks really nice, good luck in the show!

18. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks like it was a very dirty and filthy engine that got sprayed down with some kind of heavy duty cleaner and pressure washed. Notice the streaking on the cam cover, the old clamps on the oil breather crossover tube. The plenum has the tell tale signs of a part that was blasted with high pressure that scoured the paint off. I would be far more concerned with how it appears looking in through the wheel wells, from underneath, the true physical condition of hoses etc., than what some quicky cleaning job makes it look like. Personally I wouldnt go anywhere near my engine with a pressure washer. Plan on 40 hours of detail work to make it look pretty, maybe more. Thats if nothing is amiss.

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The white streaks on the underside of the hood look like a degreaser stain job...those aren't coming off.

When i see upgraded radiators (saw alot of QV's with 'em) i always wonder how many times the car overheated before they upgraded the radiator.

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Cosmetics can always be corrected --- usually not too pricey, depending upon your standards...

If the rest of the car's condition meets your requirements; and if you like the car; and if you want the car; make them an offer. But, make the seller get it registered first as part of the transaction. Offer to pay for their costs of registration if needed... That way, if there are any problems --- not just emissions / DOT / EPA, but legal (i.e., the car is on some agency'***** list), you won't get burned when you try to register it later. Cars have indeed been seized from the new owner at registration when there were pre-existing "problems" with previous ownership(s).

I would never buy a car that is currently unregistered ---- huge Red Flag. You just can't be sure what is going on.

If the car can't be registered ---- there is obviously a problem with the car.
    If the owner can't / won't get the car registered, there is a problem with them, and they are not reputable.

Over the years, I've bought many used cars; and, I've learned along the way that you want to "buy the seller" as much as "buy the car." I don't care how nice a car is, if the seller gives me a suspicious vibe --- I walk.

For what it's worth...

21. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Really nice, really original. It is so nice it warrants a better camera than what you used on it. Seriously. It deserves better than that... or maybe just needed a tripod for a clearer picture (not trying to pick on your photography ability!).

22. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
  23. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike

+1....

Finnerty, still need those brake rotors?...

Mike