Mercedes Benz S500 4matic. Good or bad? | FerrariChat

Mercedes Benz S500 4matic. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mera, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    We test drove a 2005 S500 4matic a few days ago. I love it. It seems to be the only car I am interested in. Has to be silver.

I'm looking to buy a S500 4matic in a year or so. 2006 is the last year for the older body style. I'm not real fond of the 07 and up. Plus I do not want to spend that much. I will probably look for an 06. I see the resale value of these cars drops terribly. Oh well. Any advice? There are so many options in these cars. Are they dependable? I test drove a 2005 the other day. Nice. So many buttons! These cars have very few options. Most everything is standard equipment. It will be my girlfriend's daily driver. It will be my occasional driver if we go out or travel etc. I can't see having a luxury car in the garage that I would drive only a few times a week when I drive my truck most of the time and also have my girlfriend drive an SUV. Too many vehicles. So this 4matic will be more like a 4 wheel drive SUV for the winter for my girlfriend.

I like my big Lexus but they are rear wheel drive. I could buy a newer one but they are still rear wheel drive and my girlfriend would be driving it to work in the snow.

I'm just concerned about the reliability of these S500 4matics. Especially after owning a Lexus.

Anyone ever own one of these? Coments? I know it will not be like a 4 wheel drive SUV but we will put up with that. If we happen to have a heavy snow I drive my girlfriend to work anyway in my truck.

Thanks
    Rodney

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Well, there are those who never have problems with MB products and those who have. I'm in the "have" category.

For one of these S-Class beasts I'd want as long of a factory sponsored warranty as possible. They are not cheap to repair outside of warranty. Having owned both brands for years, coming from a Lexus, well that's going to be tough. MB is nowhere near as reliable overall, nor are their service departments as accommodating.

RMX

3. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I know they are improving many things for 2008 and beyond, but I have no experience with that year.

Lexus has the best service department (it's like a day spa), Infiniti has the best product... but Mercedes has a real legacy. Feels nice pulling up next to a Benz from the 50's. You're part of something greater.

4. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Any Mercedes Benz from 2003-2006 can be a real "hit or miss" type car. Without a doubt the 2007 and up products are far more reliable and Mercedes has really put forth an effort to improve their products. If you can swing a S550 4 matic it is a much better car.

A 2006 S500 4-matic still had the 722.6 5 speed tranny which is basically trouble-free compared to the 722.9 7 speed. Like others have mentioned , check to see how much of the factory warranty is left and if you plan on keeping the car longer then "ABSOLUTELY" get an extended warranty for as long as you plan on owning the car.

They are great cars when they are trouble-free but repeated trips to your dealer can spoil the experience quite quickly. Feeling lucky?

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I BOUGHT A 2007 S350 4MATIC FOR MY WIFE

IM STILL HAVING TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS SINCE DAY 1

THE TRANS IS STILL MESSED UP AND IM ABOUT TO DRIVE IT IN THE RIVER

YES, IT HAS A WARRANTY, BUT ITS A PAIN IN THE A.. TO KEEP DRIVING IT BACK TO MB

LEASE IS UP IN 1 YEAR, THEN WILL GO TO THE 650 BMW OR THE INFINITY

BRUCE